“A gorgeous place to ski”

Tamarack Cross Country Ski Center
Los Angeles
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A gorgeous place to ski”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

They have many trails to choose from, beginners to advanced. They are not as well marked as they could be, but trail maps are provided. It is expensive to get a trail pass, $27 per day per person and the x-country ski rental costs another $27 per person. The rental shop is very nice and the gear is excellent and the woman who helped us was very helpful.

Visited February 2012

Southern California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

While our sons were snowboarding, my husband and I decided to try snow shoeing. It was our guide's first time alone, but she did a decent job. Took us up to the top of a ridge with a gorgeous view. She could tell when we needed to stop and rest and gave us good information about the route we took. She also recommended a nice walk to Lake Mary which was fun. The snow shoeing was easy to learn and rentals weren't too expensive.

Visited January 2011
1 Thank dcoak
Los Angeles, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Full Moon Snowshoe Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2009

We were lucky enough to be in Mammoth in January during a full-moon, and reserved our spaces in the packed evening snowshoe tour. This was our first-time snowshoeing and the staff was really helpful and explained everything (they even helped me strap on my snowshoe!) I borrowed a pair of their snow boots and my feet were nice and warm the whole trip. Although there was a pretty large group, the tour guide was personable and interesting, and the group spread out while hiking so that you could still enjoy the peaceful night air. The views were absolutely breath-taking, with a sapphire sky full of stars, a bright full moon so close you wanted to touch it, snow covered mountains glowing silver in the moonlight, and vistas of the flickering city lights below. If you have a camera, bring it, along with a tripod. If you're not a pro, study up on how to take pictures in that lighting, mine didn't even come close to the real thing. :-( Afterwards we enjoyed our complimentary hot drinks at the Lodge near the fireplace. The hot apple cider, mulled wine, and Hot Buttered Rum were just storybook perfect and so cozy after being out in the cold. I definitely recommend this, it was worth every penny and is one of the most memorable hikes I have ever taken!

3 Thank LauraLuvbird