“Great food and atmosphere”

Petras Wine Bar and Bistro
Ranked #13 of 93 Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Good location, jut minutes away from The Village. Ask for a table in the main area - there are three - one overlooking the road, one for private parties and the main one with the fireplace. You can also sit at the long bar and snack there if you fancy. They pride theselves on their wines - over 350 - but they had no rose wines at all - it may be March but that was disappointing. We chose the mushrooms and duck confit to start and they were delicious, well-prepared and presented too. We would recommend this restaurant highly - average age 45+ - pricey but worth it!

1  Thank Sissy55

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I hit this place on a busy Friday night with seven dinner companions. The staff didn't miss a beat. Food and wine were excellent, as I have become accustomed to at Petra's. Every year when I visit Mammoth, I make sure I have dinner there. It's not the cheapest place, but certainly not a ripoff.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is the best restaurant in Mammoth. Intimate setting, yet completely comfortable and relaxed. We had the the brie appetizer and it was amazing. I had the poppyseed encrusted mahi-mahi and my companion had the scallops. Both were excellent in terms of taste and presentation. The wine list features many of the best wines in the country and the staff are knowledgable and helpful in helping to make a pairing. Petra's is a MUST-TRY if you are coming to Mammoth!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The location, atmosphere, and food are very good. Nice bar area and very "cozy" inside. The menu could use some more variety but the food was very good. I had the scallops which were cooked perfectly (on the light side).

We brought our young kids who do well in restaurants but there are not many choices for the kids (pasta is about all).

Location is great - adjacent to the village.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We booked in advance as Petra's is very good and reservations are a must.

We were warmly greeted at the door by Robert who is one of the owners who is one of the nicest people you could meet. He was very attentive and appreciative given that it is not easy to book a table at Petra's.

The menu is not huge but there were some very interesting dishes. I chose a Torchio Pasta with a Celerac Mornay sauce that was outstanding. This chef really understands the blending of flavors and how they work together. It is one of the better pastas I have ever had.

The waitress had a good knowledge of wines was able to help us select a very good Pinot Noir at a reasonable price. The wine list is very good with many of the best wine regions represented.

We had salads to start and they were tasty. I ordered the Mussels as an appetizer and was not particulary pleased with them. I should know better to order something that exotic in Mammoth.

Deserts were good and seemed to be reasonably priced.

On the downside, the restaurant was packed and is quite noisy.

If you like good food and wine, this is your place in Mammoth. Don't forget reservations!