“What I expected for the price I paid”

Best Western Lehigh Valley Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I stayed here overnight on my drive from Atlanta to Portland, ME. I got the room for $60 a night (including tax), which is why I chose to stay here. The front desk staff is very nice, and overall the hotel is ok - nothing exceptional, but I also wouldn't consider it a flea bag. Actually, the pool area looked AWESOME, but I arrived too late to use it. My biggest complaint is the noise. I feel like I could hear every person walking past my door and hear all doors open and close to rooms nearby. If I needed a place to stay in Bethlehem again overnight, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed May 30, 2010

I had an OK stay at this hotel. The room was reasonably sized and clean. Breakfast offerings were a little small compared to similar hotels. The hotel apparently lacks an elevator for the second floor and has outdoor entry for first-floor rooms. The hotel is located near some office buildings off the beaten path, and there are restaurants on the other side of the highway. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Got this hotel on the internet for $60 including tax. I wouldn't pay a penny more for it. But it was okay at that rate. Free internet access in the lobby. Large lobby, nice restaurant, night club inside the hotel. The night club was not open during my stay (that was probably a blessing). I did eat at the restaurant and it was extremely overpriced. They charged me $8 for one slice of Carrot Cake ... and it was really more like a half slice and not freshly baked but refrigerated. I did appreciate the shuttle service. They stored my luggage for a few hours and did not charge. There was free hot coffee upon my arrival...at midnight. Yes, I drank coffee at midnight. Anyway, I also liked the double sinks and the bathroom was super clean. The room had two doors..one lead into the hallway and the other lead outside into the courtyard. I didn't care for the courtyard access door but it did have a chain. The maids were rude as H.E.L.L. When they couldn't get the interior door to open...they ran outside and tried to enter my room from the courtyard door. Both doors were chained and I had received permission for late check out. Too bad nobody informed the overzealous maids. My biggest complaint was the BED. It was very uncomfortable. The mattress was horrible. The blanket was paper thin. However the room was very spacious and extremely large. It shares a parking lot with the Hampton Inn right next door.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2010

WARNING! Keep Searching! Feel as if it is my responsiblilty to warn fellow travelers to stay away from this hotel (more like a 2story roadside, unsanitary motel).
Overall, at first glance, it's dated and in need of re-furbishment and a good cleaning and an Elevator!
NO Elevator!!! You must transport your own bags to your room - down long hallways and up stairs if you are on 2nd Floor.
Exhausted - Need to Sleep? Pull down sheets to find Dirty Hairy Sheets from previous Guest! GROSS! Called Front Desk - "Sorry" we will send someone to change your sheets - (40 minutes later he arrived).
Carpet / Bathroom could have been cleaner.
Positive Note: Free WiFi, Micorwave and Mini-Fridge in room.
Again, keep searching ! There are many hotels in this area.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
JHolmwood, Manager at Best Western Lehigh Valley Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2010

We value all guest comments and take them to heart. We have spoken with this guest and addressed some of the concerns outlined in this review. We strive for each of our guest to have the most positive experience possible.

Reviewed February 9, 2010

My wife and I have stayed here countless times for the simple reason that you never need to leave the hotel. There is an excellent lounge, restaurant, and night club, all within the same building, so you don't have to worry about driving after you've had a few drinks.

We typically stay on a Saturday around Valentine's Day or our anniversary, and have never been disappointed. We usually start the day off by shopping around the area (the Lehigh Valley mall is within 10 minutes from the hotel.) There's also a number of nearby local vineyards that offer free tours, grape stomping, etc. Once we get to the hotel, we'll stop at the Wegman's across the street for chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling wine.

Check-in is usually painless, but it's obvious that the front desk doesn't think at all about who will be sharing adjacent rooms when assigning them. I can't tell you how many times they've put our room right in the middle of a bunch of teenager's rooms (there always seems to be a school or church function of some sort going on during our stays.) The knowledge that there are kids in the surrounding rooms doesn't necessarily lend itself to a romantic stay. But, they’ve moved us when we’ve asked. And truth be told, I usually couldn't care less after a night at the club :)

The rooms are not luxurious, but the beds are comfortable, and every room we've stayed in has had a refrigerator (convenient for the strawberries and sparkling wine) and a microwave. We always opt for the king bed, if one is available. On one occasion, I called ahead to the hotel to have them put flowers in our room before we arrived, and they were accommodating. It was a nice touch that my wife definitely appreciated.

We usually schedule dinner for a little later in the evening (8:30-ish) so that we have time to shop, get ready, and then hang out and talk in the lounge/sports bar for a while. It's small, but it's nice and typically pretty quiet, so you don’t need to yell to hear each other. Plus, the on-site restaurant, The Foundry, is next door, so it's convenient.

Dinner in The Foundry is very nice. It's a small, but elegant restaurant that seems to cater to couples or smaller parties. Most of the tables have candles, and on certain occasions, they have a piano player during dinner. Dinner ranges from chicken to filet mignon, to salmon and rack of lamb. So far, we've enjoyed everything we've tried.

The nightclub, "The Bar With No Name" is right down the hall from The Foundry. It's usually open by the time we finish dinner, but we typically go back to the room for a little while just so we're not the first ones there. When it first opens, the temperature inside is usually sub-zero, so we wait until more people show up. The bar gets very, very crowded, and patron ages range from 21 – 60+. I would say the average age is mid-thirties. My wife is in her 40s and I'm almost 40, and we don't feel at all out of place there.

This is probably the only place we go where the hotel is the actual destination. But it makes for a relatively inexpensive romantic getaway where you can spend alone time together, have a romantic dinner in a great restaurant, go to a popular nightclub, and then return to your room, all without ever needing to drive anywhere.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ziltoid
Reviewed February 8, 2010

A friend and I stayed at this hotel last week for two nights. We were in town to see a band play so didn't plan on spending much time in the area. While dated and obviously showing it's age a little bit, this hotel was clean and well kept. The room was spacious and all amenities were as promised. We got a good price on Hotwire, and travel often, so our priorities are mostly comfort and cleanliness. We actually liked that the room had an outside door as well as an interior one - made loading luggage easier. I bet some people complain that this may be a security issue though.

The bathroom was where the hotel showed it's age - the tub was dated and the grout a bit discolored. It was clean though and that's our priority. The breakfast was standard continental fare, filled us up and was kept well stocked by staff.

We experienced car trouble the second day and had to have our car towed to a garage and take a cab back. The staff at the front desk were super - arranged so we could have a late check out at no charge the next day, and called us a cab to go pick up our vehicle when we needed one. When the cab took a long time, they called back to make sure they were coming. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. Cannot comment on pool and other amenities as it was February and it was outdoors.

Really the only negative for me would be the heater/ac in the room - it was phenomenally loud when operating. I can sleep through anything but my friend with me had a rough time with it. We did not hear other guests through the walls, but the hotel was fairly empty, doubt we had any neighbours.

We would definitely go back and would recommend it to other people.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Important disclosure--we got this hotel for a song from Priceline, so my tolerance level was high--I certainly would have been enraged to pay full price for the condition of this property. It is obvious that they have tried several "lipstick on a pig" renovations--nice tile in the bathroom while the sink faucet did not work, new carpet fraying by an ancient door to the outside. The things that made this place work was the discount price, the nice staff, the courtesy shuttle downtown and back for free, and an excellent (for a hotel) restaurant. They really need to do a FULL renovation and then keep up with the maintenance and replace the very think walls.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family