“Everything From Scratch - Seriously!”
Review of Jumbars

Jumbars
Ranked #67 of 354 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Jumbars is a small cafe with only about 15 tables, so be prepared to wait - although we didn't have to at Noon this past Saturday. And all meals are prepared to order, so expect your meal to (sometimes) take a while. Expect house-made breads (for the sandwiches and toasts), english muffins, jams, and even ketchup! So this means high quality, delicious, creative food. Portions are modest, so you probably won't be leaving with a full to-go box. We enjoyed both the atmosphere and the food immensely. But if you enjoy bellying up to the all-you-can-eat buffet at a mass-market restaurant for $4.99 a head, this is probably not the place for you.

My feelings about the service are somewhat mixed. On one hand it was personable and professional throughout our meal. But on the other hand I was sorely disappointed to be told that the jumbleberry pie that I had been anticipating from the daily specials board since I sat down, was really not available (Use an eraser!). And when I wanted to purchase a package of house-made engish muffins as I was paying my check, the cashier somehow couldn't figure out the price (Ask someone!) and I was forced to walk away emptyhanded .

There are newer reviews for Jumbars

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Had lunch here with a friend in June. Everything is made to order but the waiting time was quite reasonable. Food was excellent (I had salad nicoise) and beautifully presented. Waitress was cheerful and attentive. Can't wait to go back soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've eaten lunch here roughly 10 times. I love the menu options, including for instance delicious soups, quiches, and sandwiches. It's a nice break from the usual boring lunch options.

But with that said, I feel like every time I've ever been here, the server has been rushed and a bit grumpy. Never outright rude or mean...but never very pleasant and inviting either. Plus, the place is small, and so jammed with tables, it constantly feels like someone is hovering on top of you, squeezing by, or yapping right in your ear. And the portions are remarkably small. I feel like of they increased portions and prices just a bit, and took out a few tables, it'd be much more pleasant experience.

1  Thank Daniel O
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I've been back to Jumbars several times now. Each time has been fantastic.

To start with I ordered a corn muffin grilled with pepper jack cheese. I love corn muffins, and this was a great combination. As the previous review complained, the portion size was on the smaller side. What invalidates this is that it is a PERFECT breakfast portion. I don't want a whole muffin cut up smothered with cheese before I get my omelet. It was just the right size to appreciate the flavors but not fill up.

The omelet I ordered was the New England omelet. It was an interesting combination: apples, sausage and cheese(I forget which kind). Very refreshing, yet filling. Breakfast potatoes were cooked very well and made a great side. Would order it again.

Next time I go back, I won't leave without a loaf of bread. The food there is clearly made on premises, and the freshness couldn't be beat. I will certainly be freezing my bread when I get home, because anyone with half a brain knows that freezing bread doesn't impact the flavor too much, and if you reheat it properly the texture will be identical to it coming fresh out of the oven.

If you're in Bethlehem, don't miss it!

2  Thank ThaGreenMonstah
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Saw an article in the "Exposed" section of the Express Times raving about breakfast at Jumbars. Finally got there and was deeply disappointed. The inside dining room is kitchy, mix-matched silverware and glassware; tables are in close proximity. There is a laminated message on the table, advising that it is an average 30 minute wait for your food, so be prepared with reading material or good company to pass the time. The menu is varied. There were three of us and we each had an "appetizer." My husband and I had the grilled banana bran muffin and our son had the "duffin." They were all delicious, but the portions were small. Our banana bran muffin consisted of the base of the muffin sliced into four layers and grilled. For $2.75 each, I think we should have at least gotten the muffin top too. My son's "duffin" was half the size of a muffin you would get in a store and it was also $2.75. For the main meal, I ordered an omlette, my husband ordered a salmon sandwich and my son ordered the french toast. My meal was well-prepared and both my and my son's portions were decent. However, it was $9.00 for my husband's "sandwich" which consisted of 1/2 of a sandwich cut in half, so he had 2 quarters of a sandwich for $9.00 - and they served it with breakfast potatoes as a side! No chips or something more appropriate for lunch? The other disappointment was that they tout the fact that their baked goods are "fresh" and made on the premises, but then we read in the laminated notice on the table that yes, the baked goods are made there, but then they freeze them! I don't know about you, but that is not "fresh" in my world. The place was crowded, so people either keep coming back or, like us, were trying it for the first time. For us, there will be no second time.