“A very nice place, but I've been to better”

The Sayre Mansion Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Bethlehem B&B and Inns
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“A very nice place, but I've been to better”
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I'll start off by saying that the Sayre Mansion is lovely, and it was in a very convenient location for our trip. My wife grew up in the area, and she always wanted to stay at the Sayre, so for our 25th wedding anniversary, I booked a couple of nights.

The building was decorated for Christmas (we stayed at the end of December), and the old time feel of the building made it elegant and cozy.

We stayed in Room 12, which was quite spacious. The bathroom was a little small, though, and the shower was dreadfully small. It was like showering in a telephone booth. I'm a big guy, and I found it to be quite a challenge to get clean in there!

The staff was pleasant, but not too terribly friendly. Some idle chit-chat was about all that we exchanged. We've stayed at other B&Bs where the friendly hosts would be happy to converse at length, which we think often makes or breaks the atmosphere of a B&B. This wasn't a bad experience, and the folks at Sayre weren't rude or anything; they just didn't seem highly interested in talking at length with us.

The breakfasts were very good, and there was a nice selection of freshly prepared items to choose from. One small annoyance was the lack of hot water for tea. The staff would certainly get the hot water for you when asked, but we would have preferred having it out with the coffee and other items for self service.

The one other annoyance I found there was their free wireless internet. Yeah, it was free, but gosh it was really s-l-o-w. I mean less then 100k slow. My iphone zipped along at 2mb using the 3G cellular connection, while my laptop often crawled to a stop using the wifi connection. I had trip photos that I wanted to upload, and I wasn't willing to wait all night for it to happen.

Overall, the Sayre Mansion is a nice place, and it's certainly one of the better B&Bs I've visited. I would probably stay there again, but not without looking over the other alternatives in the area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Stayed at the Mansion for a wedding. The staff we very accommodating and even assisted with a VERY early check in request which was very much appreciated! The event was flawless, food fantastic, and breakfast on the porch in the fresh air the next morning was a perfect way to finish the weekend. LOVED the french toast!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Cheswick,Pa.
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Sayre Mansion. We were in town for Musikfest and stayed for two nights. Our room #31 was very nice and clean (rats!! we did not get the haunted room). The breakfast was very good. The staff was very friendly, attentive and informative. We also enjoyed meeting and petting Sage and Lola the owners’ dogs. Good location for visiting the town, Musikfest, and casino. We also took a short trip to the Crayola factory. We will stay here again when we visit the Musikfest again in a few years.
BVnLJ

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Just got back from a one night stay at Sayre Mansion to attend Musikfest. During Musikfest most of Bethleham is closed to traffic, so I was pleased to find out that the Sayre was right over the bridge and walking distance to Musikfest. The hotel is very well run and the staff was very nice. Room 26 was very spacious - bigger than I thought it was from the web site pics. The beds were very comfortable. Only bummer was they stop breakfast at 9, wish they ran until 10...as we were out late at the festival.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fazz
pennsylvania
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We stayed during the week for one evening, arrived around 5 and were immediately shown to our room that we had picked on the web page. It was the wrong room so we went down to see why. Here the room was having repairs done to it. We then were shown 2 other rooms and were able to pick which one we wanted. Room was large with 4 windows. Bed was clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was much more than I expected. The innkeeper was very nice and was able to tell us what we wanted to know about the area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Stayed in room 21 in the main house. Ceiling was really neat. room was nice. loved the robes! room was clean. bed was so soft, you sunk into it. decor was nice. Was quiet. we stayed the night we got married. staff was very friendly. breakfast was good, lots of pastry choices and fruit. awesome, whole grain bread from the local bakery. Was worth the money! We will stay there again!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 29, 2008

stayed here for an interview last year. very relaxing. staff was very knowledgeable about the area, and made top notch recommendations. the room was very clean & comfortable, although it was a bit small, like most historic places. great breakfast. romantic setting, too; there was a wedding while we were there.

• Liked — historical, relaxing ambience
  • Disliked — small space
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)