“Wedding!”

The Sayre Mansion Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Bethlehem B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed at the Sayre Mansion Inn to attend a wedding. The service staff was kind, attentive, accommodating, and not invasive. The cost of the room was phenomenal for the quality. Each room had a quaint and unique feel. The Mansion had the privacy and accommodations of a hotel, and the cozy feel of a B&B. My four day experience at the Water would bring me back to the Inn in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012
InnsOfDistinction, General Manager at The Sayre Mansion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Dear n8pb,

Thank you for selecting the Sayre Mansion and for posting your gracious review on TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate both!

I am please to read that our "service staff was kind, attentive, accommodating, and not invasive" and that you found our property "quaint and unique". Additionally, we are glad that the Sayre Mansion provided “the privacy and accommodations of a hotel" and that you would be "back to the Inn in the future".

These comments tell me that we are doing our job and that we took great care of you at the Sayre Mansion!

So, thanks again for staying at the Sayre Mansion and for telling everyone about the wonderful experience you had with us. We hope you will come back soon!

CO

There are newer reviews for The Sayre Mansion Inn

Reviewed July 22, 2012

This was our first stay at The Sayre Mansion Inn, and our experience was overwhelmingly positive. Staff members were pleasant and friendly at all points of our stay. Upon check in, we were given a free room upgrade - unexpected and very much appreciated. (The room we had booked - #14 - doesn't quite live up to its photos.) The serving staff at breakfast was outstanding in their courtesy. Can't say enough about the comfort of the bed! Breakfast options were multiple and well-prepared. Try the creamy and chewy multi-grain hot cereal! Common rooms and grounds are gorgeous and meticulously maintained. Our room did have a few minor repair needs (loose tiles on bath floor, bedside table tops unattached to bases, hole in wall due to broken door stop, missing faucet cap). Finally, there was a small white dog wandering around the dining room (house dog or guest's?). I actually saw this dog put its feet up on a surprised guest's leg and beg for food...not appropriate, in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Not the most walk able location but otherwise awesome stop. Clean, Nice staff , good breakfast and a nice end of day porch with a wine and cheese plate :)

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 21, 2012

In years past, I took a fantastic humanities course at the Univ. of NH entitled "Industry and Welfare," which covered the Industrial Revolution, so when my husband and I had the opportunity to pass through Bethlehem when traveling from NH to Florida, we booked a room at the Sayre Mansion Inn because they allowed pets. We liked it there so much, we added an additional day.

Our room was on the first floor, so we had easy access to the outside without disturbing other guests with our Golden Retriever. There was also a little sitting area outside our room. The room itself was unremarkable, although clean.

What we loved was the staff and the setting itself of this very nice Inn. The staff couldn't do enough for us and treated our Golden, Tessie, like she was their own. Breakfast was wonderful -- with a fantastic bowl of fresh fruit (so we could get seconds if we wished). The chef made a special request of an egg white omelet for me which was excellent. My husband had french toast one day and a fantastic waffle the next. My only wish would be that they offered whole wheat toast with their eggs.

The staff also bent backwards to give us suggestions about where to eat and visit, which was very helpful.

As for visiting Bethlehem, it's a fascination place to explore, both rich in history and the arts. If you do visit Bethlehem and like art, don't pass up the Banana Factory!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I am a sucker for great deals, be it Groupon, Living Social or direct discounts fom owners. Offer me a good deal, and I will likely jump for it, even if we would likely never have visited the area otherwise.

Here it was a Living Social deal. Stay in a suite for $192 and have breakfast next morning. Package included also a cheese platter and a bottle of wine, both were waiting in our suite when we arrove.

We stayed in the Suite #3 and I loved it! I made a vow to myself that I would absolutely come back if I ever saw a deal for this suite again. Its rack rate (in April) was about $350 (which is way out of our budget), but the package for $192 was a good catch. I will come back if this deal (or something similar) will re-appear.

The suite was really spacious, I could stay a month in there (or longer, haha). It is not in the main house, but instead located in the old carriage house (now converted into suites).

You walk up some stairs at the entrance, our suite was on the left side (toward the street, which made for a noisy night with the traffic). You enter into a beautiful living room with fireplace, big screen TV, stereo etc. Beautiful period furniture!

Next room was the bed room with a King bed, water dispenser (that was nice! Unlimited free water!) and refridgerator with our cheese plate inside waiting for our arrival.

(Side note: Americans don't understand that cheese needs to breathe in room temperature, and that it can't be eaten cold out of the fridge! Luckily we had enough time, so I took the plate out when we arrove, and when we came back after dinner in Easton and our concert in Sellersville, so about 5-6 hours later, the cheese was in perfect condition to be enjoyed! Very nice selection also!)

The bath room was very beautiful. If I ever become rich, I will build a bath room inspired by this one. With nice tiled shower stall, big jetted tub and ENOUGH SPACE to move around. Some hotel rooms are smaller than this bath room!

OK, the shower had a curtain instead of a glass wall, and it was not handheld nor a rain shower, and the toilet was in the same room. I would have removed that into a separate room, but still, the bath was very beautiful with the wainscot panels and the red painting. And there were 3 big windows in the bath, so there was ample natural light!

And nice toiletteries as well!!!

I really enjoyed my spa time in this bath!! (Brought my own products, because I wasn't sure what would be there, but they have provided nice products also!)

When we came back from our concert after midnight, we were awaited by a cat in the entrance stairway (outdoors). We are cat people (she might have smelled that), and it was a cold spring night (April 5/6), so we let her in.

First we were nervous, as we didn't know who this cat was. What if she was a "stranger" cat who might rip the furniture, and we would end up paying for the remodeling of that suite? But we certainly could not let her stay outside in the cold, so we took that risk.

Now this cat knew her way around! She was quite obviously not the first time in there, she knew all the rooms, and she made it clear she wanted to be in that closet behind the toilet. (Maybe this was her favourite place before the carriage house was converted into suites?)

She was a bit restless, couldn't decide where she wanted to stay. I found a little round plate with a rim, filled that with water, and see, she was thirsty, she needed a drink. She then slept with us for a while (yes, on the bed), and I let the bath room door open, and she stayed on the bath mats and in "her" closet (this really was her place! She demanded to get in there!), of which I let the door open.

She left after some hours, my husband let her out between 4 and 5 in the morning. We are used to cats, so to us it was not a big deal.

But I got worried, as I know there are evil people out there who enjoy killing cats, as this is not a crime here. You wanna kill somebody, go kill an animal, you won't do time for that. Like that, you know.

I thought, what if this cat would trust the wrong people, and she'd be killed in here. Who would let their cat out at night anywhere in traffic areas anyway? I would not! (Well, OK, I am not living in such an area, I can talk easily like that).

Next morning we learned that it was the Innkeeper's cat. That is the only reason I am writing about this in public. I would not tell anyone in public if it were a random street cat, because then I would probably receive a bill...

We had breakfast in the main house, it was a very nice buffet. There was an option of ordering a hot (American) breakfast, but that would have cost extra. Being from Germany (where the idea of eating anything hot for breakfast or supper is a weird idea!!), the free continental breakfast was absolutely sufficiant and plentiful.

Sands Casino is just straight down the Main Street (about 2 miles or so), and I think this Sayre Mansion is the nicer place to stay than the Sands Casino Hotel. But they are not affiliated, so you'd have to book+pay it separately and can't use Casino comps.

The location of the Sayre Mansion IS NOT SECLUDED (like some online pictures might falsely suggest), it is right in the middle of the city of Bethlehem, and the Carriage House is right at a major road.

We are not used to traffic noise (not living at a road), so we couldn't ignore the street noise. People who live at a road probably get used to that and don't hear it anymore, but people like us from the country side (surrounded by land instead of roads and neighbours) will hear every single car passing by at night, and there will be many!

The traffic noise at night is the reason why I can't give full points. There are ways to insulate a room from traffic noise, we have seen that in Paramus, NY, where we stayed in a motel right at the major highway, and we could hear nothing from the traffic just outside our window. So it is doable!

Other than that, this is a very nice upscale place where I would love to come back to. Still looking for more deals (Groupon or LS), but have not seen any new ones yet.

Also eyeing the Conservatory Suite in the main house, which has a glass roof letting you watch the sky and Bethlehem in all directions!! But I read it has only a shower, no jetted tub. But it might certainly be an interesting experience, I might jump for that with the next Groupon coming around.

Room Tip: Suite #3 (Carriage House) has a wonderful bath room, and Conservatory Suite (Main House) promises an...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Albgardis T
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I wanted to get away for one night after having our baby and one of the closest and most affordable places we found was The Sayre Mansion Inn. We used a coupon from TripAdvisor and paid 135 for a Queen room. We checked in on Sunday night and were greeted immediatly by the host who told us they had upgraded our room to the Robert Sayre Suite for free! She asked if we wanted to see both rooms and choose. I answered quickly "We'll take the upgrade!" They did not know we were going to have a coupon and still gave us the upgrade! The room was beautiful and had a great view of the steel stacks. There was a library attached but we didn't really even sit in it because we were going to be out for most the night. We arrived back by 10 and really enjoyed and King sized bed with too many pillows to count and the most comfortable mattress I've ever felt. We loved the robes that were supplied and enjoyed having the room extremely clean. The best part was the hospitality. I had to pump b/c I'm breastfeeding and they came to my room at 6:00 am and picked up my milk and held it for me in the kitchen so I could take it later. We then had blueberry pancakes, sausage, muffins, fruit and starbucks coffee for breakfast. We checked out early (Couldn't wait to see the baby) but it was as easy as turning in the key and walking out! No surprise charges to the card, just a beautiful room that made us feel at home the moment we arrived! I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rebekahjoy8114
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Absolutely Perfect in Every Way! My daughter and I stayed at the Sayre Mansion during a tour of colleges in the Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia area (only an hour away). We had a lovely room. The bed was really comfortable with beautiful, plush bedding. The breakfasts were fresh and delicious and the inn keeper even packed snacks for our trip to Philadelphia - how sweet! We also received great advice on directions, local dining and area attractions. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family