“Great stay in a Suite with a Living Social voucher (discount)”

The Sayre Mansion Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Bethlehem B&B and Inns
rural hinterland
“Great stay in a Suite with a Living Social voucher (discount)”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I am a sucker for great deals, be it Groupon, Living Social or direct discounts fom owners. Offer me a good deal, and I will likely jump for it, even if we would likely never have visited the area otherwise.

Here it was a Living Social deal. Stay in a suite for $192 and have breakfast next morning. Package included also a cheese platter and a bottle of wine, both were waiting in our suite when we arrove.

We stayed in the Suite #3 and I loved it! I made a vow to myself that I would absolutely come back if I ever saw a deal for this suite again. Its rack rate (in April) was about $350 (which is way out of our budget), but the package for $192 was a good catch. I will come back if this deal (or something similar) will re-appear.

The suite was really spacious, I could stay a month in there (or longer, haha). It is not in the main house, but instead located in the old carriage house (now converted into suites).

You walk up some stairs at the entrance, our suite was on the left side (toward the street, which made for a noisy night with the traffic). You enter into a beautiful living room with fireplace, big screen TV, stereo etc. Beautiful period furniture!

Next room was the bed room with a King bed, water dispenser (that was nice! Unlimited free water!) and refridgerator with our cheese plate inside waiting for our arrival.

(Side note: Americans don't understand that cheese needs to breathe in room temperature, and that it can't be eaten cold out of the fridge! Luckily we had enough time, so I took the plate out when we arrove, and when we came back after dinner in Easton and our concert in Sellersville, so about 5-6 hours later, the cheese was in perfect condition to be enjoyed! Very nice selection also!)

The bath room was very beautiful. If I ever become rich, I will build a bath room inspired by this one. With nice tiled shower stall, big jetted tub and ENOUGH SPACE to move around. Some hotel rooms are smaller than this bath room!

OK, the shower had a curtain instead of a glass wall, and it was not handheld nor a rain shower, and the toilet was in the same room. I would have removed that into a separate room, but still, the bath was very beautiful with the wainscot panels and the red painting. And there were 3 big windows in the bath, so there was ample natural light!

And nice toiletteries as well!!!

I really enjoyed my spa time in this bath!! (Brought my own products, because I wasn't sure what would be there, but they have provided nice products also!)

When we came back from our concert after midnight, we were awaited by a cat in the entrance stairway (outdoors). We are cat people (she might have smelled that), and it was a cold spring night (April 5/6), so we let her in.

First we were nervous, as we didn't know who this cat was. What if she was a "stranger" cat who might rip the furniture, and we would end up paying for the remodeling of that suite? But we certainly could not let her stay outside in the cold, so we took that risk.

Now this cat knew her way around! She was quite obviously not the first time in there, she knew all the rooms, and she made it clear she wanted to be in that closet behind the toilet. (Maybe this was her favourite place before the carriage house was converted into suites?)

She was a bit restless, couldn't decide where she wanted to stay. I found a little round plate with a rim, filled that with water, and see, she was thirsty, she needed a drink. She then slept with us for a while (yes, on the bed), and I let the bath room door open, and she stayed on the bath mats and in "her" closet (this really was her place! She demanded to get in there!), of which I let the door open.

She left after some hours, my husband let her out between 4 and 5 in the morning. We are used to cats, so to us it was not a big deal.

But I got worried, as I know there are evil people out there who enjoy killing cats, as this is not a crime here. You wanna kill somebody, go kill an animal, you won't do time for that. Like that, you know.

I thought, what if this cat would trust the wrong people, and she'd be killed in here. Who would let their cat out at night anywhere in traffic areas anyway? I would not! (Well, OK, I am not living in such an area, I can talk easily like that).

Next morning we learned that it was the Innkeeper's cat. That is the only reason I am writing about this in public. I would not tell anyone in public if it were a random street cat, because then I would probably receive a bill...

We had breakfast in the main house, it was a very nice buffet. There was an option of ordering a hot (American) breakfast, but that would have cost extra. Being from Germany (where the idea of eating anything hot for breakfast or supper is a weird idea!!), the free continental breakfast was absolutely sufficiant and plentiful.

Sands Casino is just straight down the Main Street (about 2 miles or so), and I think this Sayre Mansion is the nicer place to stay than the Sands Casino Hotel. But they are not affiliated, so you'd have to book+pay it separately and can't use Casino comps.

The location of the Sayre Mansion IS NOT SECLUDED (like some online pictures might falsely suggest), it is right in the middle of the city of Bethlehem, and the Carriage House is right at a major road.

We are not used to traffic noise (not living at a road), so we couldn't ignore the street noise. People who live at a road probably get used to that and don't hear it anymore, but people like us from the country side (surrounded by land instead of roads and neighbours) will hear every single car passing by at night, and there will be many!

The traffic noise at night is the reason why I can't give full points. There are ways to insulate a room from traffic noise, we have seen that in Paramus, NY, where we stayed in a motel right at the major highway, and we could hear nothing from the traffic just outside our window. So it is doable!

Other than that, this is a very nice upscale place where I would love to come back to. Still looking for more deals (Groupon or LS), but have not seen any new ones yet.

Also eyeing the Conservatory Suite in the main house, which has a glass roof letting you watch the sky and Bethlehem in all directions!! But I read it has only a shower, no jetted tub. But it might certainly be an interesting experience, I might jump for that with the next Groupon coming around.

Room Tip: Suite #3 (Carriage House) has a wonderful bath room, and Conservatory Suite (Main House) promises an...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Albgardis T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I wanted to get away for one night after having our baby and one of the closest and most affordable places we found was The Sayre Mansion Inn. We used a coupon from TripAdvisor and paid 135 for a Queen room. We checked in on Sunday night and were greeted immediatly by the host who told us they had upgraded our room to the Robert Sayre Suite for free! She asked if we wanted to see both rooms and choose. I answered quickly "We'll take the upgrade!" They did not know we were going to have a coupon and still gave us the upgrade! The room was beautiful and had a great view of the steel stacks. There was a library attached but we didn't really even sit in it because we were going to be out for most the night. We arrived back by 10 and really enjoyed and King sized bed with too many pillows to count and the most comfortable mattress I've ever felt. We loved the robes that were supplied and enjoyed having the room extremely clean. The best part was the hospitality. I had to pump b/c I'm breastfeeding and they came to my room at 6:00 am and picked up my milk and held it for me in the kitchen so I could take it later. We then had blueberry pancakes, sausage, muffins, fruit and starbucks coffee for breakfast. We checked out early (Couldn't wait to see the baby) but it was as easy as turning in the key and walking out! No surprise charges to the card, just a beautiful room that made us feel at home the moment we arrived! I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebekahjoy8114
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Absolutely Perfect in Every Way! My daughter and I stayed at the Sayre Mansion during a tour of colleges in the Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia area (only an hour away). We had a lovely room. The bed was really comfortable with beautiful, plush bedding. The breakfasts were fresh and delicious and the inn keeper even packed snacks for our trip to Philadelphia - how sweet! We also received great advice on directions, local dining and area attractions. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
glen mills
Reviewed June 26, 2012

A family wedding - three lovely days for all. The service and food were wonderful. The mansion a perfect backdrop. Old fashioned yet so comfortable. Clean. Unqiue. And just right. Walk the grounds. Converse on the porch. Enjoy the parlor. Something for everyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank auntpGlenMills
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

Easy access, comfortable bed. Beautiful exterior, interior could use a refresh - esp bathroom. Breakfast was great - something for everyone.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank PhDmomof3
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Lovely, kind people; super comfy beds; delicious home baked breakfast goodies. This was a sweet spot to stay for a Lafayette graduation, and Lola was a soft and fluffy bonus.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Deerfield Inn C
Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We reserved the conservatory - top floor room with full room surrounding windows as the ceiling. Plants surrounded our room, a small "fireplace", small refrigerator and a nice soothing fountain. It was so perfect and peaceful. Wonderful breakfast choices ended our perfect stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the Conservatory!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple