“Turkish Gem”

Cuisines: Turkish
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Turkish Gem”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Excellent mediterranean food in a casual atmosphere. I highly recommend the swooning priest entree with the falafel appetizer, and the baklava for dessert. Fantastic service, but BYOB.

• Visited October 2013

Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
“Far above your average middle eastern food”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We love Bethlehem and were in town for the Celtic Classic. Hungry, we decided to check out a new restaurant, Ephesus. I enjoy Middle Eastern food, but it is not my favorite cuisine. My wife had the falafel, which in my mind is always risky. Most falafel is dry and mealy. Not here, this was the single best falafel either of us has ever had, moist on the inside, crisp on the outside, with a delicate flavor. I had the Shish kebab. I love lamb if it is good quality and cooked correctly. If not it can be full of gristle, greasy, and gamey. Well this lamb was full of flavor, tender and well seasoned, everything good lamb can be. The grilled vegetables that came with our meals were perfectly cooked and a great complement to our dishes. By the time we arrived for a late lunch, they were out of a special lamb and white bean stew, I hope to try this at a future visit.

• Visited September 2013
Naples, Florida
“Worthwhile discovery in Bethlehem”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

On a busy Saturday night six of us trolled Main and Broad Sts in Bethlehem for a restaurant. The two recommendations we got were packed with hour-long waits. We discovered Ephesus and took a chance. What a find! No liquor, BYOB; no problem because there is a wine store a few steps away. The wait staff is personable and attentive, joking with us. The lamb shank fell off the bone. The spinach dish called to the vegetarian in me and I loved it. There was a special consisting of eggplant and tomato sauce, great. Stuffed peppers also on the menu. The salads are big and consist of only iceberg, a bit of a disappointment. Only one of us wanted dessert, baklava. The server brought us six pieces to share! It is good to pleasantly surprise your customers. The prices are modest. We would definitely return.

• Visited September 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not my thing but still pretty good!”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I came here a few weeks ago with my family and actually really enjoyed my meal.

We left Hotel Bethlehem looking for a place to eat around 5PM and just started walking up Main Street. We had originally been planning on Italian, maybe Mama Nina's or Molto Pazzo, but we came across this restaurant just before Molto Pazzo, took a look at the menu, and decided to give it a try. Turkish/Mediterranean definitely isn't my thing but I saw they had the basic meats so I was up for it.

The 6 of us sat inside, although it was pretty hot and stuffy, which is what we were trying to avoid with the outdoor seating. Most of us got some kind of meat platter with their white and homemade rice. I split the combination plate with my boyfriend and it was actually very tasty. It came with chicken, lamb, beef steak, and a couple other meats. It's a generous serving, even for 2 people but we finished most of it.

Our waitress was really nice and friendly and overall it was definitely an enjoyable experience, a little expensive but nothing unreasonable. To be honest, I probably wouldn't go back solely because I'm not really into this kind of food but I still thought it was a good meal and if you like Turkish/Greek dishes, you should definitely give it a go.

• Visited August 2013
Shohola, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Middle Eastern Food”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We ate here for the first time while attending Musikfest. It was a fabulous experience. The Tubuli Salad was the freshest I've ever had, loaded with fresh parsley etc. I had the mixed grill which featured 3 different skewered meats. The lamb, as you would expect, was absolutely fabulous and I'll get that in the future. Service was fabulous and personal. We will be back.

• Visited August 2013