“Rundown and Disgusting”

Extended Stay America - Allentown - Bethlehem
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We reserved two rooms for a holiday weekend as this location was not too far from Dorney Park. The rooms were absolutely horrible. It appeared that someone had attempted to "clean" them by wiping counters down and spraying massive amounts of air freshener. At one point during our very brief stay I removed my shoes for about 20 minutes as I unpacked only to realize the carpets felt damp/sticky. I lifted my feet only to find my white socks were disgustingly black. The entire hotel appeared run-down and it was obvious that many "guests" were people who actually lived in the hotel week-to-week. Throughout the hallways we could smell a variety of different foods being cooked. The staff at the front desk were helpful but definitely lacking professionalism. It felt as if we were staying in a rundown motel. Needless to say, we checked out the very next morning instead of staying the additional 2 nights. Although the entire reservation was paid for because we booked through an online website, my family and I refused to spend another night in this "hotel". We rented 2 rooms at the Best Western and enjoyed the rest of our weekend.... with clean socks (and a pool!). I would never recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a decent place to vacation/stay. I have stayed at Extended Stays before without reserve; never have I experienced anything quite like this.This place gives Extended Stays a very bad name and corporate should take notice. This place needs help.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Megonz47
Manager-PCH, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Allentown - Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

"Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America Allentown - Bethlehem. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

I am glad for the opportunity to respond to you in this forum. Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the totally unacceptable condition of the carpet and counters in your suite. Please know that we do have strict quality control standards at this hotel and others in our chain. In addition, linens are always replaced with clean, fresh bedding, and we inspect each room prior to making it available to our guests. I’ve personally met with our hotel manager and staff and brought your comments to their attention.

Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won't be repeated. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area."

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I'll lead with the positive. I dealt with three people, and they were all very professional and courteous. The customer service was excellent.

Now the bad. If you get a "Non-Smoking" room, it shouldn't smell like a smoking room with a non-smoking sign in it. The walls and floors are paper thin. The bed was terrible and the pillow -- just a small detail you never thought would be a problem -- was in the bottom five for pillows I've ever had anywhere, and I've crashed at some questionable spots before. There's a flashing green smoke detector light over the bed, and the fridge -- while a great feature for long-term guests -- puts out a lot of noise. Overall, the furnishings were pretty beat and rundown, but I could not have cared less. Just needed a good night's sleep while dealing with a critically-ill relative across the street at the hospital. Didn't get it. Not even close.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tsunamidad
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights. The beds are very stiff, they offer you two pillows which are equivalent to one. The room smells like a litterbox upon entering. The TV is a 19 inches old school tube. Altogether, this is the worst Extended Stay Property I've ever stayed at. I don't know if it's the recession or what! I definitely reccommend spending a few extra bucks at the Holiday Inn or Hilton. This place is for the birds!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Allentown - Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Allentown - Bethlehem. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the bed in your suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen bedding that we think best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

The hotel is rather quite. The rooms had a kitchenette stocked with a few dishes, cups, a pot, and a pan. I had no problems with the temperate control.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I received good directions to everywhere I wanted to go. I will however say, one of the hallways in the hotel main floor really smelled and I held my nose every time I walked down it. The place is really open and is not so nice at night as it seems just anyone could walk in if they wanted to. The rooms are within reaching distance of the parking spaces in the parking lot which is weird. The good thing is the area does not appear to be sketchy, but I have definitely been in more secure feeling hotels.

The definitely are serious about checkout time. I hopped out of my room to grab something real quick before checkout and my door was locked with my belongings still in it. Thankfully again, the staff was helpful and unlocked it so I could grab my belongings.

It is a quick drive to the Sands Casino, so if that is your destination and you are just looking for somewhere to stay after or before a day at the casino- go for it. But if you are staying in the area for a few days and could afford to do something else, you probably should.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank meglrv
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I am a Physical Therapist that does travel contracts, so I have spent a lot of time in hotels. This was the worst experience I have had at any hotel in the entire length of my career. I stayed at the hotel in May of 2011. During this stay I had a brand new iPod vanish from my hotel room. There was no damage to the door lock of the room and no damage to the lock on the window to the room. The person who took the iPod had to have had key-card access. I moved out of the Extended Stay hotel and into another hotel because the overall experience at this hotel was very poor (it was not clean, the room smelled and the people above me were loud at all hours and nothing was done by the front desk staff). When I arrived at the new hotel and discovered the iPod missing, I immediately called the Extended Stay and was told by the manager that I must have lost it somewhere. I called their corporate office and filed a complaint. I have since called them 5 other times as follow-up ( and I have the documentation to prove this) and have yet to receive ANY reply at all. I also filed a police report and have that available as proof. It has been 4 months and counting with no sort of reply. It is apparently Extended Stay corporate policy that their staff can steal from guests without so much as an apology to said guest. I will say again that I have documentation to support all I have said here. I would not stay here again and I will make it a personal goal to spread news of my experience to as many people as I can.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Jason D
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here for two nights upon the recommendation of a family friend during the time of my mother's funeral. Our room was "the only one available" and was a smoking room. We had other family members staying at the hotel so we took the room and hoped for the best. We arrived to check in and the smell of the smoke was overwhelming. We asked if there was another room at the desk because I didn't want to smell of smoke for the funeral. It took a while but the clerk at the desk found us a non-smoking room. It was much better. The rooms are very generic but they do have a small kitchen with a cook top and fridge. Our second room was clean but they only had full sized beds. Not very comfortable for my hubby and I who are both 6 ft plus. The kids were not happy either to be sleeping so close to one another especially with my younger son's sleeping habits. The pillows were more like the size of sofa pillows which I thought was odd and my family members couldn't stand them. Overall, It was a clean generic place to stay but expect for the process to take a while if you request any changes.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Save your money and stay somewhere else. The Extended Stay America in Allentown, PA is a complete waste...run down mess, ants, and roaches in the rooms...plus, there are gang members that frequent the place, and hookers that will knock on doors at hours of the night. If you haven't done so already, please cancel your reservations. Just tryin to save your save and vacation...this is a good warning to heed

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business