“Kathe Wohlfahrt booth made this a worthwhile stop”
Review of Christkindlmarkt

Christkindlmarkt
Ranked #9 of 44 things to do in Bethlehem
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Spent Sunday at the Bethlehem Christkindlmarkt. Lots of average craft booths, mediocre food (except the strudel booth), and a lackluster band. I don't know if it was because it was the last day of the market or what, but the atmosphere was blah as were most of the crafts. The one exception was the Kathe Wohlfahrt booth - got some terrific German ornaments. Liked the venue at the new Art Center at the old steel mill.

1  Thank TravelingTracy65

Reviewed December 16, 2011

Bethlehem's Christkindlmarkt was one of the biggest disappointments and rip-offs I've encountered. There is nothing particularly "Christmas-y" about it. It is basically a craft fair, and not a very good one at that. In addition, there were ads mentioning traditional German gifts and food. There were maybe 2 booths with German items. The $8 admission is ridiculous, especially since it took us less than an
hour to walk around. I can't believe i drove over an hour to get here!

3  Thank smbrown86
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I have to laugh at all of the reviews complaining about how expensive the crafts and entrance fees are, how the food is "run of the mill flea market food", and how crowded it is.

If you are trying to avoid crowds, expense and unhealthy (but yummy) food - why oh why would venture within 50 miles of a place called Christkindlmarkt, in a town known as Christmas City? IN DECEMBER? Did you seriously expect something different?

I love this place...we go every year, planning to eat a little too much junk food, spend a little too much on kitschy items you'd only find at such a venue, and leave feeling like "it's Christmas".

If you're looking for peace and quiet - make yourself some eggnog and a fire in the wood burning stove - and STAY HOME. Those of us who enjoy this event will be just as glad.

Also, a word about the new location...I think they may have moved it because of the disastrous flooding that occurred on the old location that sits right on the Monocacy Creek at Musikfest over the summer. My family found parking very close this year - a first for us, so we were happy.

And a word about the organization this event supports - ArtsQuest. This is a fantastic local organization that brings art, music and culture of all variations to the Lehigh Valley. Rest assured your $8 ($7 with the website coupon) entrance fee goes to a VERY good cause.

2  Thank chersull_99
Reviewed December 12, 2011

The Market itself was very similar to previous years, but the location was absolutely terrible--it felt as if they were challenging me to find the location. I think the location diminised from the overall experience tremendously!

Reviewed December 12, 2011

I've found some nice gifts here and the snacks are good, too.

1  Thank flamyRome