“Very tasty Kenyan food”

Add it.
Alando
Cuisines: African
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Went here for lunch today. There is a coffee shop in the front, go to the back, where the restaurant is. cute place. Had the fried potatoes (I forget their name), very good, went well with the Kenyan hot sauce called Pili Pili. For entrees, we had the cardamom chicken and the shortribs. The Chicken was awesome. Very tender and the sauce was delicious We ate most of the rice to make sure we got all of the sauce. The shortribs were the only minor negative. They had great flavor and the sauce was excellent again, but the meat was a little chewy. If you are looking for fall off the bone, this is not the dish for you. However, otherwise the meal was perfect. The service was excellent.

There are newer reviews for Alando

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We checked out the menu ahead of time online and were excited about their food because it wasn't your typical restaurant food. We've lived and traveled all over the world and prefer other types of food. Overall, I'd rate the food slightly above average. The atmosphere was OK, and the service was poor and really hurt the whole experience.

The waiter said it was his first day, and the lady helping him said she never works the restaurant side of it. We didn't get the food we ordered, but by the time I realized it, I didn't say anything because I was just about full anyway, and I felt bad for the waiter. When he brought us the bill, it was actually for a different table, which explains why we received the wrong food. Also, we had a restaurant.com coupon that they said they wouldn't accept because it was restaurant week. The coupon clearly listed when it could and could not be used, and restaurant week was not on there. After I said we would find somewhere else, and they called the owner a second time, they allowed us to use the coupon. There was an older couple behind us that were having similar service issues and were trying to be as patient as possible. I did like the peanut soup, but my wife did not enjoy it as much as me. The waiter, although new, was doing his best and was kind--I think the management was more to blame for setting him up in that situation. We will probably go there again in the future, but not for awhile.

1  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We visited this restaurant during Restaurant week, which is great because I don't think we would have stopped by if it wasn't for the RW prices.
The atmosphere is extremely quiet and at first we weren't sure how loud we should be as there were other people there, but they were barely talking. The chairs are crazy heavy a little awkward to move around, but hey no kid is tipping back in those!
The service was attentive, but the waitress did forget a few things. Not a big surprise, because she was attending to the entire rest of the restaurant. So you got to give her a break. My parents got the coffee which they thought was really nice. There was no sugar on the table for the coffee. I got the ginger tea - very fragrant but way too strong.
We had the peanut soup which they said was very good. I had the coconut lentil soup which had nice flavor but I would have liked a lot more lentils in it. It was too watery.
Then we got our entrees. We had the beef masala and I had the chicken masala wrap. OMG. It is rare that I can eat an entire entree as I get filled up quickly, but these were amazing. The flavor was nice and complex without being overly spicy or too rich. Let's just say as were eating, we were quiet then because we were so loving our food. It's byob so I brought along a beer to pair with the food.
After the meal, I really wanted to get a treat at the front of the coffee shop, but lately they having NOTHING but a few cookies. Wired used to have big cakes and cookies and all kinds of stuff. I really miss that.
In any case, don't pass this place up. The food is really good.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

One of my favorite restaurants. The food is outstanding and the atmosphere is fun. Very friendly and accomodating staff. A gem of Bethlehem.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Went with my wife and oldest daughter for dinner. They have a coffee house out front and the restaurant is in the rear - although there is no division between the two. Decor has an African motif, but the room looked a little run down - so I would not recommend this for a romantic dinner. As this was a Friday night in downtown Bethlehem, I expected that the restaurant would be packed, but was surprised to find so many tables open.
We started with the Wololo Chicken, which were 8 or 10 very big chicken wings with a hot sauce on them (thier own Pili Pili hot sauce, which they sell, mixed with honey). They were crispy, flavorful, and delishious! I would go back there just for the wings. I also had a bowl of the Afican Peanut Soup. I ordered a bowl because typically when I get just a cup of soup, it is not very big. Well, the peanut soup came in a giant bowl that was half filled - way more than I expected. The soup had a clean peanut flavor and was creamy, but didn't have any other flavors to speak of.. So while I would recommend that you try a cup of it once, it might not be something you go would eat again and again.
My daughter is not that adventurous - so she got the children's Chicken Fingers and Fries. They chicken was great - the fries were so-so (they might have been frozen and not fresh - not sure).
My wife ordered the Beef Short Ribs and she was very happy with the flavor of them. They came with some rice with a hot bean (?) mixture on them, and collard green. Personally, I thought the collard greens were a bit bitter, but my wife enjoyed them.
I ordered the Chicken Masala. It was nothing like Indian-style masala I am use to as it had no cream in it but was instead heavy on tomatoes. It was very good. Sauteed Cabbage (which was outstanding) and Kachumbari (my wife really liked it, I though it was just ok) came with the Chicken. The Kuchumbari is similar to a good fresh salsa without the hot peppers.
We also ordered as a side, the Chapati - which is a flat bread with cardamon. It was very tasty and went well with my Chicken Masala (as I did not order rice).
While the service was a little slow, it was not terrible by any means, and our Kenyan server was great as we talked to him for 10 minutes about Kenya, it's food, how he likes it here, etc. He was very friendly and even gave me a little bowl of what he was cooking for himself for dinner (ground goat stew - very spicy!!).
The price for the three of us was around $50 (without tips - and my wife and I drank water while my daughter had a soda).
I would definately go back - getting the Chicken wings again and trying some other selections from their (unfortunately) somewhat limited menu. If the rest of the food there is like what we had last night, which I am sure it is, I think Alando's will be one of my favorite places to go!!