“Won't be my first choice next time”

Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed July 11, 2006

On recommendation of a co-worker, stayed for one night in July 2006. Was supposed to be two but, frankly, am happy I finished my work in the area early. Construction has the parking garage a mess which obviously is temporary but while I shlepped down the ramp from the second level of the garage to the service area in back of hotel, there didn't ever appear to be a back entrance - construction or no. So, if you are a biz traveler with minimal bags, no problem. If leisure - stop out front and drop your bags first to avoid a long trip to the lobby.

Check-in smooth. Ricketly, slow elevator up 7 floors led to a dark hallway and finally the room. I travel exensively worldwide and have stayed in many "historic" hotels and I don't care if a place is 2 weeks or 2 centuries old. Furnishings were nice so it was a pleasant first impression. After tossing the bag on the bed, hanging up my shirt for the next day and proceeding to the bathroom to clean up for dinner, that is where it went downhill. The bathroom was a fright!. As another review indicated, I think this bathroom had gone too long at some point in its life without regular cleaning and the dinginess is now permanent. In addition, this bathroom has that stupid small shelf running underneath the mirror that many older properties use since there is no vanity. Nice feature but this, like most others, is placed so that if you want to reach the sink while brushing teeth, etc., you must stretch your neck out carefully underneath the shelf and then bump your head on the way back up. Fortunately I learn quickly and only did it a couple times.

Air conditioning I believe was premanently set to Arctic Chill and I think the controls were just to make you think you were accomplishing something. Walls were paper thin so I had the pleasure of hearing my neighbor try for several hours at the wee hours of the morning to phone what I can only presume was somewhere in the Far East. Desk lamp didn't work but I was able to read the newspaper left by the prior guest halfway under the bed by the light of the bedside lamp. Guess housekeeping was in a hurry.

The topper was the morning fiasco. I am embarrassed to admit that I had a better shower at the campground I stayed at the weekend before this trip. At least it worked! Tried to pull the handle for the water, came off in my hand. I am somewhat handy but this thing wasn't going back in place without some tools. Call to the desk met with an unsympathetic reply that no other rooms were available to use the shower and there was no other facility. So washcloth and a careful soak of the head in the sink would have to do.

On checkout, I noted to the desk clerk that this was the room with the shower problem and received not any form of apology for the inconvenience but just a curt mention that they would notify maintenance.

Based on the appearance and lack of much evidence of anything resembling anything special in the way of service, I am going to seek out somewhere else next trip. Any recommendations?

Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank CentralPAGuy
There are newer reviews for Historic Hotel Bethlehem

Reviewed March 25, 2006

My fiance and I stayed at the Hotel Bethlehem during our recent apartment hunting visit; I have no idea about everyday pricing, but because his company was paying for our trip, I think they got a rate of around 75/night. We checked in pretty late at night (around 11 pm) after a long drive from Philadelphia, so we were ready to crash. It's very easy to find, and I didn't find it inaccessible despite our luggage. Our room was very comfortable; yes, it is a historic boutique hotel, so the rooms will be smaller and not super posh, but we found it fine for our two nights. Our only complaint was that the heating in our room wasn't working very well. The breakfast in the Colonnade was very nice, but the service was a bit slow (probably b/c it was around 10:15 and breakfast closed around 10:30). We loved it, despite its idiosyncracies.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business