“Nice Stay at a Pet Friendly Historic Hotel”

Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed September 2, 2014

We had a nice evening at the Hotel Bethlehem. We were excited to be upgraded at check in to a corner suite. We had our dog staying with us we were so impressed with the pet-friendly facilities. The hotel put a dog bed, bowls, treats, and poo bags in the room for us - a very nice touch to welcome our pup to the hotel. The staff, from bellmen to check in counter were friendly and professional. It looked like our room was cleaned after the last use, probably a few days prior to our arrival, and wasn't checked on as there were some dead fruit flies on the counter in the bathroom. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Hotel Bethlehem and should we find ourselves back in Bethlehem PA will likely return to the hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2014

Hi David W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad we were able to upgrade you to one of our Corner Suites. They have fantastic views of Bethlehem. We are pleased to hear that you both enjoyed your stay. It is also nice to know that your pup enjoyed the amenities that we put in the room. I would like to apologize for the housekeeping issue that you encountered. I have shared this with our Executive Housekeeper and she in turn is reviewing it with her staff to ensure this does not happen in the future.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back…

Write a ReviewReviews (1,021)

Reviewed September 2, 2014

Through ancestry.com, I learned my forefathers settled in Lehigh County, PA. I stayed at the beautiful Hotel Bethlehem. The service was impeccable. The staff was attentive and the room was lovely !! The hotel is located where the original first town structures were. The hotel and the city of Bethlehem have a history that should be explored. The dining room at the hotel is pricey and if you're alone, you're sometimes forgotten. Not comfortable having to motion for my waiter every time I needed something. Food was delicious though. I walked the cobblestones and visited the many Moravian museums and cemeteries. I traveled the Bethlehem Historic Trail route. I also drove to Allentown, Nazareth and through the surrounding countrysides to see 7 covered bridges. The Moravian Bookstore is the oldest continuous bookstore in the U.S. It was right across the street from the hotel. Also the Colonial Industrial Park is right outside the hotel. It features many old homes and businesses from an earlier time. Most of the Moravian museums are only open on the weekends. I loved my time there. It was peaceful and serene. I could imagine my forefathers living there. A block away is the Bethlehem Visitor Center. They were happy to assist me in any way. Make sure you have a GPS. Much easier to get around. :)

Room Tip: Ask to face the "Star of Bethlehem".
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2014

Hi Musictchr2,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel while you explored the Lehigh Valley. It sounds like you were able to do quite a bit of sightseeing and were able to connect with your forefathers as well. We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I would like to apologize for the service shortfall that you experienced while dining in one of our restaurants. We appreciate the feedback. I have shared your comments with our Director of Restaurants so she may review it with her team to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thank you again! We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to experience the high standard of service that we have become known for.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

My husband and I had our wedding reception at Hotel Bethlehem on Aug 16 2014. I had always dreamed of having my wedding there since I was a little girl. It was everything I had dreamed of! The ballroom looked beautiful! The staff was so friendly and helpful. The wedding ran like a well oiled machine. If anything went wrong, no one was able to tell. The following morning, the staff helped us load everything into the car. It was a wonderful experience and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect wedding day!!!

1  Thank Cassie R

Hi Cassie R,

Congratulations to you and your Husband! It was truly an honor to share your special day with you. We are thrilled to hear that we were able to provide you with the wedding of your dreams. Weddings are one of our many specialties. It is our job to make sure your day is worry free!

Thank you for choosing us! We hope to see you soon…

Reviewed August 23, 2014

We were coming to Bethlehem to visit the Universities in the area. We booked this hotel at the almost last minute. We then arrived during Musikfest, which was quite a shock. First off the street was jammed with people, but luckily the police pointed the way and the hotel had two staff on the street directing us into the entrance (thanks!). On entering the hotel we felt like we were on the set of 'The Grand Budapest Hotel'. Beautiful turn of the century lobby, complete with the 'bell hops' and the old elevators. Given the party atmosphere outside I was a bit concerned, but inside was calm, even though they had a live performer playing as well. The staff were all very pleasant and informative. Somehow despite our late booking we were given a corner suite room on the top floor which had a great view of the city and the action below. Thankfully (amazingly?), it had non of the noise. The room was very comfortable and pleasantly furnished. The bathroom was of more modern vintage. And the WiFi worked... at least in the separate suite area... bit of a stretch to the bed though. My only negative would be that the ceiling was cracked and needing a fresh coat of something...it brought down the overall feel of the room a bit, but that is really just finding fault...Keeping up with repairs in an old hotel must be a bit of a nightmare and I give full credit to the management and staff for what they have done with this grand old lady. Looking around, there were at least two function rooms off the lobby, which were quite lovely.... I can see why people have their weddings there. We had breakfast in the dining area, which was very nice... very pleasant service. I can say that I never expected to find such a property in Bethlehem. Not taking time to search, we almost stayed at a chain hotel... what a mistake that would have been. We would go back... I'd even consider a special trip if I lived relatively near-by.

On a related note, we took the opportunity to attend some of the Musikfest events and I really have to give the City full credit for their organization; crowd control; and clean-up. On the first item, there really was a lot of people and a lot of alcohol... usually this will spell disaster eventually and I saw in the newspaper that they do have some issues. That said,the crowd that I saw was friendly and just out to have a good time listening to music... either as a result, or maybe because of that, the police presence is mostly off on the side (people do not mess with mounted police), or at the end of the street, consequentially it all has a good vibe. The street in front of the hotel on that night must have attracted every teenager for a hundred miles... but kids gotta have fun too and they seemed well behaved for the most part. Amazingly, the next morning, the entire main city area was spotless... no trash, no smells, no nothing... really amazing. Well done Bethlehem! And great job Hotel Bethlehem.

Room Tip: Corner suite was great... and no street noise on teh high floors.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Hi ErichH45,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to the local Universities. We are pleased to hear that everyone enjoyed their stay. As you mentioned we are in the located in the heart of MusikFest. It is nice to know that you and your family were able to enjoy and take part in the festival.

Thank you again! We hope you chose a University in the area. We look forward to welcoming you back…

Reviewed August 22, 2014

My new husband and I stayed here for our mini-Honeymoon and plan on making this an anniversary tradition! The hotel is a 20-minute drive to Dorney Park, and within walking distance to some great restaurants. What we love about this place is that it brings the grandeur and luxury of the old turn of the century hotels to guests at an affordable rate. The bathrooms have real marble, the towels are soft, and the beds are comfortable. They even provide bath robes!

1  Thank Rachael H
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Hi Rachael H,

Congratulations to you and your husband! We are honored that you chose to stay with us for your mini-Honeymoon! Thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy to hear that you both enjoyed your time with us.

We are looking forward to being a part of your Anniversary tradition! Until next time...

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Giving this establishment 5 stars would be like calling California kitchen a gourmet Restraunt. Consistently great food, never disappointed but not top of the line. When we visit our daughter at Lehigh univ. We always prefer to stay here. The service is great and the ambiance is warm and quaint. The rooms are spacious and we'll appointed. The bathrooms are top rate and recently renovated. This is the best of Bethlehem but the hotel Hershey is 5 stars.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank StevenPhillipson

Hi Steven P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Our staff strives to provide a great experience for each and every guest. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to see your daughter at Lehigh.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

I have been going to Musikfest for eight years and this year decided to stay at the Hotel Bethlehem. I have been in the hotel many times before and was VERY excited to stay there. Above all, I was satisfied, very comfortable bed, great blackout curtains. Wonderful night of sleep. The only advice I would give is to avoid ordering food late night at the bar, I ordered two courses of food at midnight and it was not brought out until 1:30, after the lights were turned on!

Hi Valerie C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for letting us know about your experience. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and had a great night sleep. I would like to apologize for the service shortfall you experienced while you were a guest at our bar. I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef and Director of Restaurants so they can prevent this happening in the future.

Thank you again! We hope to welcome you back next year!