“One of the best historic hotels in the NorthEast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Historic Hotel Bethlehem

Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“One of the best historic hotels in the NorthEast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

If you are looking for the best accommodations in a beautiful historic hotel, you will find none finer than the Historic Hotel Bethlehem. There is a pub area with music, a fine dining room for elegant dinners and a staff that is the most helpful and friendly ever. This is better than a Marriot, more beautiful than a Hyatt - It is the old school feeling you want with the modern conveniences of current hotels. Big comfortable beds, modern bathrooms, and a lobby that harkens back to a simpler time. Each meal is unique and worth the wait - the chefs really know how to prepare great meals. The front desk staff greets you with a smile and helps you in any way possible. Amble parking on site. Bethlehem itself has a great historic feel and some of the best shops, restaurants and sites. Plan for that special weekend here - you will be back again and again.

Room Tip: Pick a package if you expect to stay the weekend - it's a good value and gives you something to...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Hi CliffRoberts,

Thank you for the accolades! We are truly humbled that you consider us one of the best Historic Hotels in the Northeast. It is great to hear that you enjoyed everything the hotel has to offer. We preserve the Hotels history all while providing the modern amenities that our guests need today. As you mentioned we do have two distinct restaurants both with award winning cuisine and wine lists. The entire Hotel staff enjoys what they do. They strive to exceed your expectations every day. We have several packages that fit any occasion.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have held numerous events at the hotel over the years and each year they continue to improve their service. The staff is extremely attentive and informed. The managers are quick to reply to emails or additional requests. The customer service it key for me when seeking out locations, this hotel definitely is at the top of the list.

Our clients are equally pleased with the location and the atmosphere. I will once again be returning for the holidays in 2014.Many thanks to all those that make each and every event memorable!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hi JenniferD63,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We truly appreciate your loyalty to the Hotel. We continue to learn and grow so we can improve our service standards each day. Our staff takes great pride in providing exemplary service to our guests each and every time.

Thank you for choosing us! We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

There are special times in our lives when we share something very special with our loved ones. This weekend will end with us checking out in about 4 hours. The Hotel Bethlehem is a very special hotel. It is a building and place that brings back history of the area and with a name that invokes the special meaning of this time of the year. Christmas.

We had a king suite which was absolutely incredible. The suite did allow us to privately entertain friends. The hotel staff was fantastic and was able to grant allow our special requests, which also included a birthday day cake for me. Luckily the candles did not set off the smoke alarms.

As a educator who spends his time lost in space and time, The Hotel Bethlehem was the perfect place to celebrate a birthday with my loved ones.

Downtown Bethlehem is a wonderful place to visit during Christmas time. Oh by the way, if the term Christmas bothers you. I really don't care! I have decided that since reaching this grand age I no longer need to be politicaly correct!

1 Thank Chuck C
Hi Chuck C,

Happy Birthday & Merry Christmas! Thank you for sharing your experience. We are honored that you chose to celebrate your Birthday with us. It is wonderful to hear that you and your loved ones enjoyed yourselves and that we were able to accommodate your requests especially the Birthday cake.

Thank you for staying with us! We hope to welcome you back soon…
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

We had organized a large family dinner party (30 people) on December 7, 2013 with the help from Kathleen Brown. It was absolutely amazing and my family is still raving about the delicious gourmet food, top notch service, beautifully decorated historic hotel and extremely accommodating staff. From soup to nuts, Kathleen and her staff made sure we were all comfortable, happy and without want. Kathleen's suggestion to have a buffet dinner in the lobby terrace was exactly what we needed to accommodate a private party with eleven children! The kids had space to move around and the adults were able to enjoy dinner and drinks without worry of disturbing other diners. I have already recommended the Hotel Bethlehem to friends looking for a beautiful place to stay and dine. Thank you for your patience, excellent advice and outstanding service Ms. Brown. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi KristinMalone3,

Thank you for choosing to host your family’s dinner party with us! We also appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It is great to hear that everyone enjoyed themselves. Kathleen and her team take great pride in ensuring that everyone is taken care of. The Terrace lobby is a beautiful place for dinner especially now that we are decorated for Christmas.

Thank you! We hope to see you soon…
Hatboro, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

What a wonderful hotel. Great around the Christmas season it's beautiful. The staff is first rate. With a smile everywhere you go. Food and drinks were excelllent. Close to great shops

Room were clean and comfortable

Would return in a heart beat
Thanks

Hi Edward K,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. The Christmas season is our time to shine. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the Hotels Christmas decorations.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to welcome you back soon…
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I had made reservations two-three months in advance for a weekend getaway. I picked a package deal they offered and included in this package were a couple tickets to the steel stacks tour, passes through history tour, two breakfasts and a dinner for two in the 1741 Restaurant. The Hotel undoubtedly is beautiful. Decorated to the hilt for the holiday. We had planned this weekend for a year knowing we wanted to stay at this hotel because of the Christmas city experience etc. Check in was fine our room was nice, clean, but there were issues in the bathroom, broken tile in the shower and a broken ring back of the toilet. No big deal didn't bother me at all but I mention it now because when thinking about the over- all experience at $250.00 per night you shouldn't have that, at least I don't think so. They first night was miserable out so we just stayed in. Couldn't get near the bar because everyone from the street flooded the lobby and it was wall to wall people. They have a ballroom off of the lobby that was hosting a private party so those people spilled into the lobby as well. Ok so off to our rooms to wait for Saturday. We have passes for 2 for breakfast. We were not informed at the time of check in or when we made our reservations for our stay that reservations for breakfast were a must. We found that out when asked by the hostess, no problem she seated us anyway. 15 - 20 minutes go by no one asked if we would like coffee. I flagged down a waitress who was very pleasant and apologetic, no problem I said. We got our coffee... and were forgotten again.. so once again I flagged down our waitress and she took our order, apologized, I said no problem. 30 minutes later we get our food and it was really good, wrong toast but no problem. People around us were getting wrong orders or no food so I felt lucky. Our day went on we did our tours. A week before we arrived I had emailed Brie from Reservations and she told me that she would make our dinner reservations at the hotel restaurant that was included in our package.. AT no time with on the phone, email, website confirmations, was there mention of a pre-fix dinner menu if you got the package deal. It states dinner for 2 at 1741 restaurant, that's it. So I made reservations with brie for 7pm Saturday night. Please see the following:
Good Morning Ms. Rivera,
I apologize for the run-around and confusion. The times for the walking tours are available on the Historic Bethlehem website At the top, you'll see "Museums and Tours." Then, click "Historic Walks."
Our fine dining restaurant opens at 5pm. Your walks should be taking place earlier in the day. What time would you like dinner? I will make the reservation for you.Thank You,Brie,Reservations Second email she forgot to ask me what day: Ms. Rivera, No worries! I didn't think to ask you that the first time. You are all set. We will see you this weekend! Best,Brie ReservationsHistoric Hotel Bethlehem. So we also have tickets for a free drink so we figure we will go to the bar and get a drink before our dinner. The lobby is even more packed than the night before, everyone is off the street at the bar. So we wait for the bartenders attention, and wait and waive, and wait. So 15 minutes Kathleen a manger says we have another bar set up over there{ pointing at the other end of the lobby] no waiting, so we go over there, but there's no bartender so we wait and wait, I go back over to try to find Kathleen and can't find her through the sea of people. Finally a server comes up and goes behind the make shift bar and we ask her for the special beer a pumpkin something or other and a moscato wine, she says she doesn't have that it's a limited bar and guess what? They can't take the tickets we have for our drink. So we tell her how long we waited at the other bar then to be told to come over her eto find out we cant get what we want and they wont honor our ticket. Well, tehe server said again an apologie and we chose a house zinfandel and a coors light. So then after our drinks its now 6;45 we head upstairs to our dinner reservations... guess what? Our name is not on ther reserve list, I promptly said well then there is a problem I have emails stating they were made. So I need a table another apologie and then we were seated. We were given these beautiful leather bound menu's wonderful!! Was really looking forward to the diner... the hostes then asked excuse me are you staying here on a package deal I said yes we are, she said well I'm sorry {another apology} I gave you the wrong menu, ok now I am getting angry you have got to be kidding! So she hands us this pice of paer... obviously it's a pre-fixed menu she then said well it's the same thing minus the cod fish, which is not true, I can't eat seafood and most of the choices on the new paper menu were fish except for a filet minon but that was an extra $15 if you wanted that.. Ok I had enough I called over Kathy the manager and explained the breakfast issues the bar issues and now the dinner issues. I was angry. She was apologetic again no surprise everyone apologizes here. She did offer us a bottle of wine which we really didn't want but that was appreciated it was a nice gesture. We only want good service. She told us we could order off the main menu so we were given back our leather bound menu's. Ok so the waitress who was made aware of our issues came by apologized and promised we would be taken care of. So we look at the menu we decide on 1 rib eye steak and 1 ny strip yumm... she informs us that they don't have either.. so we get the fillet minon, we ordered salads, mine was good but my husband's he ordered without anchovies, it came with anchovies, so we told the waitress, another apology, and 20 minutes later he gets his salad minus anchovies.. All is good, 25 minutes after salads were done we finally get out steaks they were really good. They cannot use the excuse the restaurant was busy because there were empty tables. So I asked the waitress for rolls and butter, she comes back 10 minutes later with butter but says the rolls are still baking ok I said. ½ hur after our dinner was done we are waiting for our rolls that never appeared. She comes back to our table and takes our butter, no apology this time for no rolls. She asks if we would like desert, sure why not, we ordered. My husband and I also ordered coffee his with a shot of bailey's, he got his coffee I didn't get mine and 15 minutes later I asked the waitress for the baileys another apology and 5 minutes later she returns with a shot of baileys' for cold coffee. Mind you we have not gotten our deserts yet. So we asked about that as well, another apology, I told the waitress hell we are used to it, it seemed to us that if you get the packages they offer you are deemed unworthy of service. Now I am very angry. I spent $250.00 per night for this I could have went anywhere else and gotten better service. We got our deserts finally. We gave a nice tip to the waitress only because it was Christmas and I didn't want to stiff the girl out of a tip some stuff was her fault but most was not. We stepped away from the table at 8:47 1 hour and 45 minutes to eat dinner was absolutely ridiculous when there were tables of 6 that came in after us and were done before us. I will not stay there again. Kathleen asked us on the way out of the restaurant how everything was I was too pissed off to go into it only to hear yet another apology, I was just done. By Kathleen earlier it's the busiest season..well if you're a 100+ year old hotel which is smack in the middle of Bethlehem the Christmas city then you should know by now how to handle it. We have yet to have a drink at the bar in the hotel that we paid a god price to stay at. I will not give a good review I am really disappointed and will send a copy of this letter to the hotel management as well. The bad service also continued into the next morning at breakfast again. We just left it at that. I feel the food service is terribly mismanaged, you have waiters bussing tables and no one knows what the others are doing.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear jezzieo7,

Unfortunately, it appears that we dropped the ball on many fronts in our restaurant operations despite our Hotel focus on superior customer satisfaction. The Hotel takes on a completely different character during the holidays as well as during festivals at other times of the year. While we would like to think that we continue to provide the same level of service during these busy times we clearly did not meet that standard during your stay with us.

We are reviewing all of our package procedures to ensure no surprises occur going forward and using your letter as a case study with our staff regarding exceeding customer expectations.

Thank you for highlighting areas for our attention. We hope you would give us another opportunity to demonstrate our true capabilities.
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Our department of 30+ people holds an annual overnight event every December. This year we selected the Hotel Bethlehem as our destination and it did not disappoint! Jenny, our event coordinator, was more than accommodating (and quite patient with all of our last minute changes!). The overall level of service was fantastic, the rooms comfortable, and the food tasty. Our event went off without a hitch. I would highly recommend the Hotel Bethlehem to other travelers, whether it be for a personal stay or a business meeting!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hi mlh291,

Thank you for choosing us for your annual corporate event! We are happy to hear that you and everyone enjoyed everything while you were here. Jenny is an asset to our team. She is the best at what she does. I will definitely pass your comments along to her.

Thank you again! We hope to see you all soon…