“Elegant historical hotel”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Raleigh, NC
“Elegant historical hotel”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Bethlehem for one night on a business trip to Lehigh University; because my hosts were driving, I can't comment on the parking situation. The hotel lobby is classically decorated and comfortable, with a large bar area and plenty of other seating. The hotel has been visited by dozens of celebrities and politicians, including presidents, and these are showcased here and there. My room was on the small size but clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was also clean, if a little small. I didn't see any signs of anything being worn out or in disrepair, unlike some of the posts; perhaps the rooms vary in their quality? There is free Internet in the hotel, and there's a business center for printing documents such as boarding passes. I had a glass of wine in the bar area and it was very comfortable. I also had breakfast with my host, and the service was excellent and the food of high quality. I would definitely recommend this hotel for those seeking something older and grander and historic, as a change from the same-old same-old chain hotels that all blend together and don't make for anything memorable.

Room Tip: Since there may be variation in the quality of rooms, it might help to ask for one that has been upd...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hi DoctorCompRhet,

Thank you for your wonderful and thorough review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while you were visiting Lehigh University.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back should you visit Lehigh again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am getting ready for my 3rd year for the Hotel's Paranormal Weekend.
Each year has been better then the last.
The rooms have be nice and the Sunday Brunch was awesome. The staff, the paranormal group and the local tour group were all very informative.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Hi shrloc_pa,

Thank you for joining us for all of our GhostBreakers weekends. I hope you enjoyed this years’ weekend as much as the first two. I look forward to reading your review of our 2013 event!

Thank you again! Stay tuned for our 2014 GhostBreakers weekend dates!
West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here on business and really enjoyed it. Not your run of the mill hotel, and it's vintage elevator and really unique architecture and décor was something to see. Great staff and the room was spot on with probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The location couldn't be better, with a variety of dining choices within walking distance of a block or two.

The history surrounding this place is something else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hi RedRockr,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We truly embrace our history and celebrate it. We take great pride in the fact that we are not your run of the mill hotel and we appreciate that you recognize that. Thank you for the feedback on the bed. Our bedding was upgraded in 2012. All of our mattresses are from the Serta perfect sleeper hotel suite collection. I completely agree. Our beds are very comfortable.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed overnight and the room was beautiful and the bed dreamy!! It was so comfortable and spotless. We stayed for a Sunday brunch which was delicious!!! Highly recommend!! The town is adorable and it is fun to walk around shop or enjoy a meal. Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi Elise S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while you and your family were in Bethlehem. I have to agree, the beds in the hotel are dreamy! All of our mattresses are from the Serta perfect sleeper hotel suite collection. Our award winning brunch is one of a kind, I’m glad you all enjoyed it.

Thank you again! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Millington, New Jersey
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Was a guest here and I wasn't too pleased on all of the changes and the spike in room rates(I guess Casinos do that). I had a "House Charge" and was a frequent guest when the Decker family owned it years ago. I guess things change and at least the "Condo" idea was scrapped! I miss the old hotel's glory days! :( My Rating: 7 out of 10. (It used to be 10) They used to answer the phone "Hotel Bethlehem, At your Service!" My favorite room WAS 801.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't face the street. I heard a bus idling on the street below most of the ni...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hi GlenS864,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from this past August. I would like to apologize that your stay was not what you anticipated. The Decker family did own the hotel 15 years ago. The current ownership completely restored the hotel in 1999 and they continue to update the hotel all while staying true to its history. Our room rates have been consistent for several years.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and for choosing to stay with us. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail our General Manager Dennis Costello can be reached at dcostello@hotelbethlehem.com
福岡
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Located in the center of Bethlehem, it offers a convenient stay. The hotel says this is A Historic Hotel of America. Yes, indeed it is: It is old but not just that; I felt something different, which may be a history.
Nothing to be complained: all the staff members were very courteous; the room was comfortable; historic but fitness facilities were there. Coffee was available in the lobby in the morning, with which local sweet was offered. This sweet remains as a nice piece of memory about the hotel.
I had a good stay in Bethlehem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hi 福岡Ek,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. The local sweet that we offer every morning is our Moravian sugar cake. It is prepared locally for us just a few blocks from the hotel. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us.

We hope you join us again in the future!
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed March 27, 2013

It was a dark and stormy night, and my wife and I needed to get off the road. We were close to Bethlehem, called up to check availability, and headed into town to grab our room. It's one of those historic register hotels that had fallen on bad times, but was now bouncing back in a big way.

Our room was cozy, old-fashioned (in a good way) up to a point, yet configured with modern amenities, such as the iHome alarm clock and iPhone docking system.

It being fairly late, we ate in the hotel restaurant rather than strike out on the streets for some local flavor. We ate at the bar, both of us chowing down on big, tasty burgers. The restaurant was interesting for the photos of celebrities who've stayed there ... ranging from Ozzie Osbourne to Joe Paterno (oops, scratch that, they pulled his photo). But the food was good and reasonably priced, the beer good and local and cold, and the staff both friendly and curious.

I only have one complaint, which doesn't affect my rating. The Hotel Bethlehem is reportedly haunted, with several ghosts in different areas. We got the "Boo Room," Room 932, but, sad to say, no nocturnal spectral visitors. Oh well, maybe next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a haunted room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John V
Hi John V,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on that stormy night! Our Tap Room restaurant features many of our famous guests. Joe Paterno is still on display. He stayed here in 1962 when he was the assistant coach for a PSU Alumni gathering before the Gator Bowl with then Head Coach Rip Engel. We even had a small alligator in the fountain inside what is now 1741 on the Terrace for their Kick off party.

Thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back.