“Lovely hotel in downtown Bethlehem”

Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Lexington, Virginia
“Lovely hotel in downtown Bethlehem”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel is lovely and historic, yet with good sturdy comfortable beds. Some of the rooms (and their bathrooms) can be quite small, though, so make sure you ask for a room with a tub - my first room had only a standing shower and no room for much else. The staff is extremely attentive and accommodating (they changed my room immediately after I mentioned that tiny bathroom). The complimentary breakfast is lovely, but make sure you are clear on registering about how many people are staying in your room. I had a roommate (for a conference) but ended up with breakfast coupons for only one of us. The gym is small but acceptable, and was more than I expected. The location is fantastic since all of Bethlehem is at your doorstep.

Room Tip: Ask for a tub so your bathroom isn't too small. Corner rooms tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hi MuseoffireAD,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It was our pleasure to Host the conference attendees. You do bring up a good point that not everyone may know. We do have some rooms with showers only. When making reservations you can always request a room with a bathtub. We also have suites that do offer more space and they all have bathtubs.

Thank you again. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Bethlehem recently for 4 nights while attending a conference. The bed was wonderful. The assortment of pillows, very nice. I appreciated the lovely fluffy white duvet and the additional coverlet and spare blanket being available. The small room was cosy and welcoming. The in suite heater quickly took the chill off the room. There was some sound from the hallway but not a significant or annoying amount.

I was initially annoyed because I hadn't though to request a bathtub and my room had only a shower however the shower had a lovely rainshower head on it and there was a plentitude of hot water. The very small bathroom was well appointmed with a magnifying mirror, a hairdryer and a generous array of cosmetics and thick towels. There was a pod style coffee maker and coffee lightner- I'd have preferred another option personally.There was no bar fridge in the room. A welcome surprise was the ipod dock on the alarm clock.

The room was throughly cleaned each day and always spotless when we returned. I did find the smell of bleach to be a little strong but since the linen was all sparkling white I can't really quibble with this although I did open the window -and turn up the heaton our return two of the days.

Now about the elevator... during our visit there was only one elevator in operation. The hotel is in the process of upgrading the elevator and so this will not continue to be a problem, I would think. However the wait for the elevator was long and made it necessary to figure in extra time. This said, the hotel is very gracious and charming and it was not an unpleasant wait. For me it was a moment to pause and think about how the hotel might have been years ago. The elevators are set into a small foyer in each hallway and so there is not noise from them transferred to the hallways and there are generous chairs for you to sit while youwait for the next elevator car to arrive.

The lobby really is very lovely. We were fortunate to be ther when all the Christmas decorations were still in place.

Room Tip: Ask for a bathtub if that is your preference.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hi GertrudeW,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It was our pleasure to host the conference attendees. You are correct we are in the process of upgrading the mechanics for our elevators which will make them more efficient and faster. The upgrade will be complete in May 2013. Until then we will have attendants operating the elevators during peak operating hours.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Blairstown, New Jersey
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one night only but it was a nice experience. The hotel is located in a great location. The staff was friendly. The room was a regular size hotel room. We recommend and would go back.

• Stayed January 2013
Hi araquelffl,

I am happy to hear that you and your Husband enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience.

Thank you for choosing to stay with use while you were in Bethlehem. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Westlake Village
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The hotel stands out for its location, history and charm is located in the downtown Bethlehem Historic District.
The building is historic and refurbished. I love the interior and style of the building which is classic of the early 1930's style and has a feel of grandeur.
The restaurant has great food and a Sunday buffet. The lounge routinely has some kind of jazz or soloist playing through the week.
We stayed in an executive King and found it quite spacious, (The bathroom was small, yes but it was charming as well and plenty of nice towels) The furnishing are fitting of the era of the hotel but new. The bed was very comfortable and bed linens luxurious. This is really important to me. The WIFI worked great.
I can’t say enough about the staff, from the time I made our reservation, I spoke with Heather……she couldn’t have been more helpful as well as Alice, the reservation manager. All of the staff was very kind and helpful from the bellmen and parking attendants to the front desk.
We came from California and were there for 3 nights. We arrived on a Thursday evening
and we had a wonderful dinner and enjoyed the jazz music.
We ate quite a few meals at the hotel and the food was outstanding.
I think if you enjoy something unique, meticulously clean, upscale and charming…….
This is the place. I don’t think I would stay any place else if I came to Bethlehem again.

Room Tip: Better views from higher floors. Executive King was a very spacious room.......
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Chris132815,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. It is always nice to see members of our staff mentioned by name. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves during your visit to Bethlehem. Our Executive King rooms are spacious and offer some nice views. If you visit the Hotel again I would highly recommend our One Bedroom Corner Suites. They offer dual views of Historic Main st. and of the Bethlehem Star on South Mountain.

Thank you again. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 9, 2013

There are many hotels in the Lehigh Valley Area to choose but this one stands out for its location, history, and charm.

The hotel is located in the downtown Bethlehem Historic District. During some special occasions like Christmas or Musikfest there is no better place to be located. Outside of the doors to the hotel are a multitude of places to eat and drink.

During the Christmas season this place has extra charm. True holiday decorations everywhere. It was a great experience to bring my friend here for a stay to experience the magic of the season.

The restaurant has great food and the Sunday buffet is something almost all of the locals know about. The lounge routinely has some kind of jazz or soloist playing through the week.

The rooms are small in size. This is one of the drawbacks of the hotel. The furnishing are fitting of the era of the hotel but new. The beds are very soft and comfortable. The bathrooms are modern and the entire hotel is clean. The WIFI worked well in the room but better in the lobby. The room air conditioning control needs updating but was comfortable.

The staff was very kind and helpful from the bellmen and parking attendants to the front desk.

There are no doubt bigger rooms for purchase and possibly cheaper but this is not just a hotel to stay but an event stay. Whether business or pleasure there are many chain hotels around the country that no doubt you cannot recall anything about them after you have turned in your hotel key card but this hotel will remain in your memory and stand out for its charm.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Hi Pilotss2001,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the Christmas season. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with this wonderful review. We strive to provide a unique experience that you are not able to get anywhere else. I am pleased to hear that you and your friend enjoyed yourselves.

We hope you join us again so we may have the opportunity to welcome you back!
Killeen Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Having retired in Central Texas, my husband and I often return to our beloved Bethlehem, PA, where we lived and were educated before moving to East Africa as a military family. High school, university, and fraternity reunions and family visits are the highlights of our "golden years," during which we fondly recall our wedding reception in the elegant ballroom of this historic hotel.
As elementary students, we toured the Moravian buildings and cemetery just across the street from the hotel, and now, when we have breakfast each morning, we enjoy a watercolor of the bell tower of the architecturally breathtaking Moravian church, where the world-famous Bach Choir sometimes performs. (And where, by the way, my dad played in the brass choir at midnight on Christmas Eve.)

This is the REAL Bethlehem, where even the cemeteries are wondrous places for historical studies. Although some hotels are, undoubtedly, less costly, the Hotel Bethlehem is invaluable and centrally located enough to facilitate access to Lehigh and Moravian Universities. Bethlehem was settled well before the country was the country, and some of the houses within walking distance of the hotel are pre-revolutionary. The home in which I grew up actually has a brass plaque announcing its historical importance, but NOT because I lived there!

Although the city now "boasts" a Sands Casino and hotel, that area is definitely NOT Bethlehem in its true sense. Still, when the industrial museum is finally constructed in the area that once was home to the Bethlehem Steel mills and the houses that sheltered its laborers of multicultural backgrounds, one will be able to drive from the historically preserved old town area of Bethlehem to the industrial educational venue and learn more about the importance of steel making in "my" hometown.

Dining is a gourmet experience at this hotel, and the decor is elegance at its best. Reserving a room during the Musikfest period in August is difficult if one waits too long, and the same caveat applies to the Christmas season, when Bethlehem is at its historical high point; however, I strongly recommend staying at the Hotel Bethlehem whenever possible.

Room Tip: A room on the north side affords a view of the Moravian Church.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hi Deborah S,

Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful review. I can feel your love of Bethlehem and the Hotel through your words. Thank you for the tips. It is always best to reserve your room as soon as possible especially during MusikFest and the Christmas Season.

Thank you again. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
New Jersey
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at HB in early December to jump start our holiday season. What a great idea! First, we want to send a shout out to front desk Matt and bellman Robert. They are just a few of the outstanding employees who assisted us before and during our stay. Next to the historic building, the most outstanding feature at HB is customer service. The staff is friendly and attentive in all areas. Housekeeping does a great job in the rooms, especially the marble bathrooms and quickly fulfilled our requests for additional towels and luggage stand.

The executive king room was a nice size with a well coordinated decor, nice bed linens and an elegant marble bathroom. The magnifying makeup mirror was a nice touch as is the free wifi. The lobby was nicley decorated for the season and was a bustling townsquare with many parties over the weekend.

We are looking forward to making this an annual visit.

HELPFUL HINTS:

1. Getting There: Your GPS may direct you to Main St. in Freemansburg. Don't panic when you don't find the hotel. Continue on and look for the signs for the Visitor's Center and Bethlehem or the star. Take a left onto Washington St. and follow the signs to Main St. Bethlehem. Take a left on Main - HB will be on your right just down the street. The directions on google maps were accurate; don't know why we decided to follow the GPS at the last minute.
2. If you have hard water at home like us, avoid over soaping as the water appears to be soft.

Happy Trails!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lily54
Hi Lily54,

Thank you for deciding to jumpstart your Holiday season with us! I have to agree with you Matt and Robert are wonderful. It is always nice to see associates mentioned by name. Thank you for the GPS tip! We are in the process of ensuring that all of the GPS companies have the correct information.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for your annual visit!