“Nice Get Away”

Sands Casino Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at the Sands, what a pleasant surprise! The room was very spacious, clean and quiet with extremely comfortable beds. The continental breakfast was good with lots of fresh fruit among other breads and such. The mall was nice with good stores if a person is into that. The food court looked good too. The casino is your average casino except that there were very few 25 cent machines, mostly dollar machines. We didn't find it as smokey as other reviewers (we are non-smokers). There was a non-smoking section which seemed to be very well ventilated. The only restaurant we ate in in the casino was St. James Gate and it was very good. The Bethlehem Steel ruins were very impressive from afar and more so once we realized we could walk back there and see it up close. The area was all lit up at night and we've never seen anything like it; awesome! There was a tour of the steel stacks that we would have loved to take, but found out about it too late in our stay. We would definitely do that next time. It was a very nice getaway.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you so much for the compliments that you have given to us! I am so happy to read that you enjoyed all of the amenities that Sands Bethlehem has to offer and I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed to spectacular view of the old Bethlehem Steel plant. Again, thank you for your kind review. We all look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

This hotel/casino/entertainment area was amazing. I have stayed at four other casinos this fall and this one was by far the best. The best part was every employee we came across (except in the show room) was extremely helpful and happy to be there. If not, they did a great job faking it. The rooms were clean and I liked having a refrigerator in my room. Another reason I will go back, free wi-fi and continental breakfast and an indoor pool that stays open past 6. Am I really at a casino? There are many food options. The food court is great for the quick meal, especially for families. The buffet isn't as big as your Vegas buffets but the food is good. My only complaint is the food options are a little more than I would prefer to pay. The small mall is nice, especially since it is attached. Finally, if you want to leave the casino there are several attractions near by. I didn't have enough time to look into how far and what kind of transportation was available or if it was needed at all. I look forward to coming back here for my next trip. Maybe I will even come here for a quick get away instead of just work.

Room Tip: I was on tenth floor and had no problems. I find that the higher the floor in a casino the better th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for recently visiting Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem! We appreciate you taking the time to post your kind reviews for fellow travelers to see. We are always working to make sure our customers have the best experience possible so it is great to hear that you enjoyed yourself at our resort.

Thanks again for visiting and we look forward to hosting you in the near future!

Reviewed December 7, 2013

One night stay at Sands Casino Resort on a business trip. After reading previous reviews, I was a little hesistant in staying here, but I am glad that I did. I don't know why this property is ranked so low, it should be higher. Arrived at approximately 5 PM, plenty of parking available, check in process was friendly and efficient.
I was on the top floor of the building and did not smell any smoke in my hallway or room as I read in previous reviews. Room was very clean and fresh. Bathroom was clean, all amenities provided and shower - water pressure was fine, if not better than other hotels. The bed and sleep quality was fine, better than average. I appreciate the security feature in the elevator needing your room key to access your room. I believe all casino hotels should have this.
I did not mind the walk between hotel - stores - casino as that keeps everything divided appropriately. I ate dinner at Emeril's Italian and the service, food, and drinks were good, better than average. I did some shopping and all employees in the mall were helpful and friendly.
I played roulette in the casino and was rather successful at picking the right numbers. The dealers were very friendly and the cocktail waitresses came around for re-orders often. The other players and restaurant patrons that I talked with were very friendly as well. I did not witness any "sleepers" that I had previously read in other reviews, but I was playing table games and not the slots so that could be the difference there.
Great place for an overnight on a business trip. Nice, clean, modern hotel, shopping, restaurants and gambling all in one place without going outside. I believe the rate to be reasonable for all that is offered at this location.
The only con was my radio clock alarm went off as well so that does need to be checked that it is turned off for the next guest. My other comment, not pro or con, that the roulette dealer was bilingual and spoke with another customer at the table in the other language. That is fine with me, in my eyes, both a pro as being customer service oriented but a con if some are offended by that sort of thing. She even said "No more bets" in the language she was speaking at the time, which might be confusing to other patrons at the table who only speak English. She was, however, a very nice and friendly dealer.
I will definitely stay here once again the next time my travels bring me to Eastern PA.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 6-of-us-were-there
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor! I am so happy to hear that Sands Bethlehem exceeded your expectations and I am truly glad that you had such an amazing stay.

Thank you for the extensive detail you have put in to your review as it allows our future travelers to get a good sense of what we're all about. I hope that we have the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future and all of us at Sands Bethlehem look forward to your return trip!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Spent a night at the Sands Casino in Bethlehem. Room was ok, but even though it was a nonsmoking room on the 7th floor, I could still smell smoke in the room. At 5:30 am the radio alarm clock went off and startled my husband and I who were hoping to sleep in until 8 am since we went to bed at 1 am. The maids need to check the alarm clocks to make sure they are turned off in preparation for the next guest. The hotel was quite a long walk from the casino through a shopping mall. I like to stay in the casino into the early morning hours myself when I can get on the machines I like. I did not feel safe doing that, and walking back to the hotel room myself, since other than at the entrance to the casino, there was no security in the hallways. Also, when we made our reservation we were told our rate included a buffet breakfast. Turned out the buffet breakfast was continental with just cereal, bagels, fruit and yogurt. Certainly not what we were expecting and not what we got last year when we had eggs and a larger buffet. I'm on a dairy free/grain free diet, so all I could have was fruit. I had to have my own protein drink, which thankfully I brought with me. Besides paying a hefty price for the room, I have never seen such tight slot machines. Played for about 6 hours and never even got a bonus on any machine. Lost a bundle unfortunately. Think I will stick to the Borgata where I get free rooms, lovely staff, and good service, and do much better at their slot machines. Oh, and it was impossible to get decaf coffee. Asked three waitresses when they came by and none of them had decaf, and none offered to get me any.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Siennalover

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sands Bethlehem and I appreciate your review. I am disappointed to learn that your visit was not a complete success, and apologize for the challenges you experienced. Please note that we take these matters very seriously and I am disheartened to read that your experience here at Sands Bethlehem was less than satisfactory.

As you may know, reservations are not linked to your reviews, so I am not able to reach out to you directly. I would like an opportunity to address the less than satisfactory experience you encountered and further investigate the matter. Please reach out to us at guestservices@pasands.com at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

The Sands at Bethlehem is a nice small casino not too far from metro New York. The Rooms are always clean and neat and this visit was no different. What I did find different was that the staff at the hotel and the casino seemed a bit more pleasant than on our prior visits. This was a nice improvement and I was happy to see it.
The casino has smoking and non smoking zones, but since it is one big room, it was still a bit smokey in the non-smoking areas, but not too bad. There was a live band in the casino bar the night we were there and that was fun. Just stayed for the night then headed to Hershey the next day. If you are heading to Hershey or the Lancaster area this is a nice stop on the way.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty much the same, and the hotel is removed from the Casino so shouldn;t be any...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jceh1
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review about Sands Bethlehem with us and fellow travelers on Trip Advisor! I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you were treated with excellent customer service. Also, I appreciate your comments for improvement and will forward them to the appropriate departments for review.

Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I had been to the Sands Casino before, but had never stayed at the attached hotel. We had an appointment about an hour away, and we got a reasonable rate at the Sands, so decided to make it an overnight trip.
The hotel is pretty new, so it is fresh and clean. We assumed that the layout for the hotel would be similar to what we had experienced at other Casino-Hotels, where the hotel rooms are split among areas that surround the Casino, restaurants, etc. The Sands is laid out a little different. There is a two story mall between the hotel and the casino. The restaurants are located in and around the casino, so you have to walk through the mall to get to them. There are some good dining options.
The self parking is on the opposite end of the casino from the mall and the hotel, so it's quite a hike. They do have valet parking, and if you can find the hotel, there is some outside parking close to the lobby.
The shopping (my wife tells me) is first class, with very reasonable prices. One of the reasons we chose the Sands was that the mall allowed some activity on site besides the casino. The slots were a little tight on this trip.
If you've never been to Bethlehem, it is worth the effort to explore the town. Besides the growing major concert and arts venues, downtown Bethlehem is a great place to walk, dine, and shop. There are museums and galleries all over town as well as in the multiple colleges located there.
We will definitely stay there again, but we hope they will add some dining closer to the hotel rooms.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hudson_River_Foodie
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for choosing Sands Bethlehem as your host during your recent visit to Bethlehem, PA. Although I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the many amenities of our resort, I am disheartened to learn that we did not exceed your expectations. At Sands Bethlehem, we strive to provide our guests with excellent experiences that are truly remarkable, so I am sorry to hear that you did not feel that this was a wonderful stay.

I just wanted to point out that there is free parking across from the Hotel/Event Center as well as a surface lot adjacent to the building. Please feel free to utilize these parking lots on your next visits.

I do hope that you will allow us an opportunity to properly exceed your expectations in the future. We look forward to your return trip!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I made a reservation at the sands recently for a one night stay and looked forward to checking out the casino-unfortunately when we arrived they had no reservation listed for us and had no rooms available. I presented the confirmation number and that wasn't in their system and they treated us like we were incompetent and didn't know how to make a hotel reservation. It was through a third party website and they claimed that it was the fault of theirs because it was their website that caused the mistake. We are heading back for an event that's being hosted there but since I am so disappointed at my last experience that we will probably find another place stay after the event, which is pretty inconvenient if we'll be out late and drinking to drive to a separate hotel-but I can't reserve another room there and risk hearing that "they've lost our reservation". Nothing was offered for us as far as compensation, they had no suggestions for us about where to stay instead, and they suggested trying out one of their restaurants or games and wait for a possible cancelation....what an absurd suggestion-and I was offended that they expected us to spend money there after they had no room available for us. I even asked if there were honeymoon suites or high-roller rooms set aside and we were willing to pay whatever the rate would've been and they just dismissed this as an option-the professionalism was just poor-they kept condescendingly repeating themselves and wouldn't take any responsibility. I notified the company that we booked the room through and we were reimbursed since we were charged ahead of time this way, and they offered us a credit to use in the future-but on their end, they seemed to have everything in order....so I felt like the hotel made an error and ruined my experience altogether...I'll continue going to the foxwoods and Mohegan sun to gamble, I like atlantic city but it's a little further for us-this place is a good location for us but as the customer service failed to provide any solution, I'd have to avoid going back based on that disappointing encounter. I've never posted anything before, and we travel a lot, we can take bad experiences and move on, but I wanted to put this out there and find out if anyone else had any similar circumstances with lost reservations or dismissive staff because I left there feeling as if I did something wrong-and since it was unresolved and I have persistently felt annoyed by how they made me feel, it resulted in my first customer review or post here.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Q1496JGJ_C2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sands Bethlehem. I know that there are many hotel options to choose from here in Bethlehem, PA and we are honored to have been your first choice.

I am disappointed to read that a truly valued guest, such as yourself, was not cared for as they should have been. I sincerely apologize about the lack of service that you experienced upon check-in and I am very sorry to hear that this issue was not resolved. Sell-outs do occur at our property, but that does not warrant the lack of personalized assistance that you experienced.

As you may know, reservations are not linked to your reviews, so I would appreciate it if you could email us directly at guestservices@pasands.com for an opportunity to address the experience you encountered and further make amends for your disappointing experience.