“Great alternative (and closer) than AC”

Sands Casino Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I usually go to Atlantic City to get away, spend the night and play some slots. The drive is about 2 1/2 hours from our location in Pennsylvania. I started getting tired of the long drive, traffic through Philadelphia, and tolls. We decided to try Sands in Bethlehem which is at best only an hour drive.

The restaurant selection was excellent, they had a little of everything. We decided to eat at the Irish Pub and Carvery. My wife being pregnant, started feeling nauseous from all of the smells (smoke, different foods, and the deodorizers sprayed into the air to eliminate smoke smells). Personally, I didn't even notice it. Due to this, she didn't even touch the dinner she ordered and the bartender (since we sat at the bar because we didn't want to wait for a table) removed her meal from the check without us even asking.

It was a Friday night, so as expected the slot floor was pretty full, but there were still plenty of open slot machines. The payouts for us were terrible, but plenty of people around us were winning, which is usually how it works ;). Also, the security on the casino floor was very abundant. I felt like I had the secret service watching my back the whole time. This gave a nice feel of safety, but would be a problem for somebody who has a guilty conscience.

They have a very nice selection in the food court between the hotel and the casino floor. Food wasn't bad and prices weren't too out of wack. I don't know how late they were open, but we headed back to the room around 11:30 because we were tired of losing and they were still open. This is great for a late night snack after drinking and gambling all night.

The hotel was beautiful. We paid $179 for a Friday night, which I didn't think was too bad. Check in took about 45 seconds using the automated check-in kiosk. The room was very clean, comfortable beds, and a nice contemporary decor.

We will definitely go back again!

1  Thank toothlesscarrot
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Sands Bethlehem on Trip Advisor! We truly appreciate that you have allowed us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience, and we're happy that you enjoyed your stay overall. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food at our restaurants and food court, and I'm happy to hear that you felt security's presence as we strive to make sure all of our guests feel safe and secure while visiting our property.

Again, thank you for your kind review! All of us at Sands Bethlehem look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Casino Resort is over 500 miles from our home town but we love driving and it was a beautiful sunny fall day, so off we go!! We arrived at the resort late in the afternoon. There is a lot of road construction in Bethlehem, but the signage was good. The valet that met us wasn't very impressive, as I had to unload our luggage myself and take it into the lobby. But once inside everything was well done, the check-in was smooth and most of our questions were answered. Our room was a lovely Exec. Suite with two rooms, both with large windows and large tv's. the apt. has a bath and a half and a dining area. It was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. There were several restaurants to choose from, we selected the Carnegie Deli the first night and the Emerill's Chop House the second evening. Food was excellent in both restaurants as was the service. You can also have a free continental breakfast, if you wish. There is a large amount of slot machines and tables in the huge casino. Also connected is a very nice high end shopping mall. It's all under one roof, so it's not necessary to drive anywhere. The most amazing aspect of this resort, is the fact, it is built in and around the old Bethlehem Steel Mill. Some of the buildings are still standing, it makes an interesting walk to see them and what has been done as far as rebuilding and bringing in new business to the surrounding area.

Room Tip: All room are away from the casino, therefore you do not have noise from there or the nightlife.areas...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Executive Suite and the various amenities, however I apologize for the challenges you experienced with valet. Please note that I will be passing your comments along to the Valet Supervisors for review so they may be better able to serve our customers moving forward.

I am so happy to read that you enjoyed the food at our on-property restaurants, and I'm also pleased that you enjoyed the view of the old Bethlehem Steel buildings as they are truly unique and magnificent!

Again, thank you for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sands Bethlehem in the near future!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

In town for Runner's World Half Marathon. This hotel was very convenient to the race and the history of Bethlehem is captured in the local and also on display in the hotel. Adjacent Outlet mall, food court and casino made for an easy stroll to do many things. Hotel staff was very pleasant and helpful. Downtown Bethlehem has great restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about Sands Bethlehem on Trip Advisor! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that your overall impression was positive. Please be assured that I will pass your thoughtful comments along to Gary and the rest of the hotel staff so that they're aware of the excellent customer service they provided to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Sands Bethlehem in the near future!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed overnight here because we were attending a concert at the event center. Overall, they have really done a nice job of re-inventing the whole steel plant area. Keeping the look, but cleaned up on the oustide, and completely transforming the interior of these buildings.

The casino, hotel, shops and event center are all located under one roof, and unlike Vegas, you aren't walking for miles to get from one to another. It is pretty well laid out and easy to get around. The hotel rooms are pretty spacious. the light switches in the rooms could be more easily placed (outside of the one when you first enter), but that is a minor issue.

The continental breakfast is OK, the layout could be better (its current layouts leads to some collisions and traffic jams with people trying to get to the food). The staff at the hotel and event center are very nice and friendly.

If you have a chance to come up for a concert, take the opportunity to stay overnight and check out the casino, shops and restaurants. It makes for a nice weekend getaway.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and fellow travelers on TripAdvisor! I am pleased to read that Sands Bethlehem provided a restful place for you to stay while visiting during a concert. I will pass along your comments about the continental breakfast to the appropriate departments for review so they may be better able to serve future guests.

Again, thank you for visiting and we all look forward to the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future!

Kellie Sellers

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a casino hotel. The nice piece is that the hotel is a decent walk from the casino and unlike Las Vegas, you do not need to schlepp through the casino to check in and to depart.
The upside is that the casino has a range of food options that you can reach without going out into winter weather. The chop house is a decent for a steak centric restaurant - the others are ok.
The rooms are well designed and clean.
The workout area is small, but does have a range of dumbbells and a few other options. It is lightly used.
The complex is on the grounds of the old Beth steel plant, so there is about a 2 mile walk through the old factory grounds that can be quite nice in the evening, or be the start of a good run.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for your positive review of Sands Bethlehem. It is our goal to make sure that our guests are treated with excellent customer service the moment they arrive, so I am pleased that you were able to experience just that. Also, I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the various amenities around the property, so thank you for sharing your insight and feedback with us and fellow travelers.

Again, I am grateful for your positive review and all of us at Sands Bethlehem look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The last time I was here it was still the Bethlehem Steel plant and now it's a casino hotel. I must say they were respectful to the steel making heritage of the site and did a great job with the layout and architecture of the place. It's first class. The food on site was fine. Carnegie deli has great sandwiches and the buffet was fine. Rooms are a bit more like a Comfort Inn than you would expect and a fitted sheet on the queen bed would be an improvement in what otherwise was a great bed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing to stay at Sands Bethlehem during your recent visit to Bethlehem, PA. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the old Bethlehem Steel site as we work hard to maintain the buildings so our guests are able to enjoy the spectacular views.

However, I am disheartened to read that our rooms did not meet your expectations. Please know that we have taken this to heart, so that we are able to improve our services for you and future guests.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Sands Bethlehem in the near future!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Rooms are spacious and decently furbished, the casino and outlet mall are right there. Getting to town will take a long walk or take the bus ($2). Food at the casino and food court is depressing, bar at the hotel is a zoo. Reception personnel is obviously fed up with clientele... call your own taxi policy applies. Rates are high, but if you want to be next to the mall and casino, worth it. Surroundings of the industrial park are old fashioned romantic, yet you are in a bubble. Your choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for your review about Sands Bethlehem! I am so glad that you found our rooms to be spacious and well-furnished, however I'm sorry to hear that food at the food court did not meet your expectations. Please note that I will pass your comments along to the food court vendor, Villa Enterprises, for review.

Also, I'm sorry to hear that the hotel check-in personnel did not exemplify the high-standard of customer service that we strive for, so please accept our apologizes. I will forward this note onto hotel management so they may be able to rectify the situation.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and our team for the multiple challenges you experienced, however I do hope to welcome you to Sands Bethlehem again soon!