“1 night stay”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
“1 night stay”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

It is a hike from the parking garage, through the casino, past the stores, if you choose...finally to the hotel. On the hotel end there is outdoor parking available.
Check-in was very quick. We were offered a room on the lower floors, or upper. I choose the upper. 15th floor, very quiet up there. Room was quite spacious, beds were comfortable, bathroom was clean. Only one relatively small sitting chair and one small table, other than the desk and it's chair. Wondered what we would do if we ordered room service...eat while sitting on the bed?
Continental breakfast included, the standard fare of cold cereals, instant oatmeal, bagels, toast, danish, muffins, coffee, tea, juices. Yogurt and some cut up fresh fruit also. Plenty to get your day started.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank weathernut185
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor! I appreciate your thoughtful review and concern to advise fellow travelers of the tips, directions and important information that you deemed to be helpful to future guests. I also truly appreciate the suggestions you have provided. Please be assured that we do take all feedback and suggestions seriously, and I will look into them accordingly. I truly appreciate hearing from loyal guests like you, and we all look forward to your return!

Marketing Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
White Plains
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed on a Saturday night, the 16th, for a bachelor party at the Sands Casino Resort. My stay was good overall but I'm giving this place a 3 out of 5 for small issues.

Pros:
The room itself was very comfortable with a nice sized bathroom and beds that made sleeping that night very easy. The view wasn't great but I don't stay in hotels for the view so that didn't matter. The fact that there was a continental breakfast was awesome. This was the first casino hotel I've stayed in that actually had a free breakfast and it was much appreciated. It may have only been small bagels, muffins, fruit and toast, but it did the trick for a one night stay. Check-in and check-out were also breezes.

Cons:
The layout of the entire complex makes you wonder what the planners were drinking when laying out the building plans. The only parking garage on the premises is located on one side of the casino while the hotel...is on the far opposite side of the casino. My walk from my car to the hotel lobby took about 10-15 minutes because I had to walk through the casino, then "through" the food court and finally through the small mall over to the hotel lobby. That's an awfully long distance to walk to get from the only parking garage to the hotel. Especially since you have to walk through security ropes to get into the casino. Most casino hotels I've stayed in have been short-ish walks from the car to the check-in. I was very put off by the distance I had to walk with my bag to get to check-in. Side note: I put "Through" in quotes for food court because there isn't a dedicated pathway to walk through the food court. You have to wiggle your way through chairs and patrons, which is extremely awkward.

One downside of the room was the lights for the sink. You have to put a key card into a slot by the room door to turn on the lights above the sink. It's supposedly for the purpose of conserving energy, but if that's the case...then why isn't the actual bathroom where the toilet and shower are setup for this lighting system as well? It's a great idea on paper, but making just the sink area "energy-friendly" doesn't really cut it, as you could easily leave all of the other lights on.

As much as I appreciated the continental breakfast, locating the room where the breakfast was was a chore. There isn't anything in the room to help guide you to the breakfast room and there's nothing in the hotel lobby to direct you there either. It was only by chance that I got off the hotel elevator on the "casino" level and saw the sign for continental breakfast. There needs to be better signage to direct guests to the breakfast room so guests aren't frustrated before finding breakfast.

I can't give a review of the pool or restaurants as I did not use any of them on this trip.

Overall, the Sands really didn't do anything to make me want to go there more than Foxwoods, Mohegan Sun or Atlantic City. It's not as those everything there is brand-spanking new or anything either, but what is obvious is that the place definitely caters more to locals than tourists. I doubt I will be making another trip back there as there just isn't anything in that area that entices me to go back.

Room Tip: If the weather is nice AKA no rain or snow, park in the outside parking area for an easier walk to t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for providing valuable feedback on your recent stay at Sands Bethlehem! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations as well as the continental breakfast. Still, I would like to apologize on behalf of Sands Bethlehem and our team for your experience during your stay.

It concerns me deeply to learn that you were inconvenienced by the layout of the hotel and parking garage. I wanted to take a moment and clarify the parking situation, since many hotel guests choose to park right next to the hotel in the hotel parking lot. This lot is a short walk to the hotel and Event Center, so we encourage all of our hotel guests to use this lot when staying at the Sands Hotel.

Also, thank you for your feedback regarding signage/directions to the continental breakfast room. I will forward your comments to hotel management so they are better able to understand the issues at hand and assist future guests.

I am disappointed to read that you did not want to return to Sands Bethlehem. Earning each and every guests future loyalty by providing them with unmatched accommodations and service is of great importance to us; therefore, if there is anything we can do to earn your loyalty please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly at guestservices@pasands.com

New York
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Hotel - I'm not too sure they want people to know they have a hotel. First of all the entrance looks like a side entrance, the type you want the servants to use, certainly not an entrance befitting paying guests. The lobby is just weird. You walk in and there is a choice to use the e-check in or have a seat at a desk and while a human assists you. I will say the staff was friendly. There is NO sense of a hotel lobby. It felt like you walked into someone's office by mistake. The room was clean and nicely furnished but there seemed to be something missing (like personality?), particularly in the non-descript bathroom.

The Casino - Getting to the casino from the hotel, you have to go through what looks like a mall and it was a rather long walk. Before you can get into the casino, you have to walk through a very nice food court and then there it is - the casino. This was a Thurs. night and it was packed. I'm not too sure I want to see or smell (more on this shortly) what this place is like on a Sat. night. The one big plus for me is that I found the slot machines very fair and not at all tight. However, the smoke is overwhelming. This is clearly a smoker's casino. Make no mistake and don't buy into the fact that they have a non-smoking section. Someone should tell the smoke because it doesn't care if your in a non-smoking section; it finds you. I'm usually a very tolerant non-smoker but this was crazy bad. Despite loose machines, they would have to seriously improve their ventilation for me to consider another trip here.

The Food - Great selections. We ate at the Carnegie Deli which was great but they have several other restaurants I would have loved to try if we stayed longer. I also really liked their food court.

Back to the Hotel - My mother and sister had enough and headed back to the hotel. Once they got to the room, they called me to let me know how unsafe they felt and wanted me to call them when I was coming back. At 1pm, I decided to go back and did see a guard in the "mall" and then another walking around but there are these sharp corners that conceivably someone could be lurking behind. They NEED to post a guard at a desk right by the elevator to the hotel. I don't think they give enough attention to their guest's safety.

All in all, while I did like the casino, the smoke distracts from what could have been a place I would have returned to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you choosing Sands Bethlehem as your host during your recent visit to Bethlehem, PA! I am happy to have received your comments, for there really is no greater way to improve our services than by receiving insightful feedback from a valued guest, such as yourself.

I truly appreciate that you have so graciously allowed me the opportunity to learn about your recent experience, and I also appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding the security around the property. I sincerely apologize for the unnecessary stress that this imposed on you and the other guests in your party. Please be assured that we take the security of our guests very seriously, and we always have a large amount of security officers on location at all times. Also, I apologize for the inconvenience of the smoke in the casino. We do offer smoke-free sections (near Emeril's Chop House), and typically the ventilation systems do a good job in clearing the smoke from the area.

I am disappointed to read that you did not want to return to Sands Bethlehem. Earning each and every guests future loyalty by providing them with unmatched accommodations and service is of paramount importance to us; therefore, if there is anything we can do to earn your loyalty please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly at guestservices@pasands.com.

COPLAY
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel is not the best but it is nice. It's always clean and the beds are comfy. The pool is minute. We have sometimes waited a considerable amount of time to check in. You can view "the stacks" or "the hood". The best thing is, you are at the Sands Casino! The restaurants are great, my fav is Emeril's Italian Table. Pretty fun place, tables are fun. Saw a concert there, venue needs improvements, although I did hear they were working on it, so I would be inclined to give that another chance. Oh, and the shopping, check it out, the little mall has some nice designer outlets. Guess I'd give them a B

Room Tip: Like I said it's the hood or the stacks. Stacks are much better'
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosemary W
Thank you for staying at Sands Bethlehem and for providing your feedback on TripAdvisor! I truly appreciate the fact that you allowed us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience, and we also appreciate the suggestions you have provided. Please be assured that we take all feedback and suggestions seriously, and I will look into them accordingly. I truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, and we all look forward to your return!

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Quick overnight getaway at the Sands. We had a great time and the room was nice and clean. They may want to put a vending machine in somewhere or open a gift shop because if you want a bag of chips at 3am, you're out of luck. They have a place in the food court open, but all they had were bagels and muffins...not what we were looking for but whatever.
The slots were friendly as my friend and I both won big.
The clientele in the casino is another story...
Other reviewers mentioned it too and I witnessed first hand many people spitting into the trash and people blowing their nose onto the floor without a tissue. I believe this is called "snot rocketing" and it is absolutely disgusting. I wish there were Purell stands throughout the casino like on a cruise ship with all this filthy behavior. Know this isn't the casinos fault, but some of the things we saw were disturbing.

Good restaurants, decent outlets, overall a good time :)

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for choosing Sands Bethlehem as your host during your recent visit to Bethlehem, PA! I am disappointed to learn that your visit was not a complete success, and apologize for the challenges you experienced. We will take your suggestions into consideration and work to come up with a solution that will improve the property overall. I will also forward your comments to hotel and casino management so they are able to address the issues at hand and fix the problem for future guests.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay at Sands Bethlehem!. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

New Jersey
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was my second stay at the Sands Hotel - room was clean, bathroom nice, bed was soft and comfortable, as were the pillows. The only drawback was the thermostat - it was way too cold and there were no blankets/comforters. After a long day and night though - it didn't keep me awake. I asked for a late check-out upon check-in and she didn't hesitate to accommodate my request - a good customer service response! My players card rate was fair for a Saturday night but not as good as other casino hotels in NJ and CT. If they improved upon that, I think we'd go more often.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dls1656
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about Sands Bethlehem on Trip Advisor! I understand that there are many travel options when visiting Bethlehem, PA and I sincerely appreciate and thank you for continuing to stay at the Sands Hotel. I truly appreciate that you have so graciously allowed us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience, and we also appreciate the suggestions you have provided. Please be assured that I will forward your comments about the blankets in the room to hotel management so they can look into that accordingly. Also, the next time you stay with us, please don't hesitate to ask for extra blankets - we'll be happy to supply you with them!

We truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, and we all look forward to your return!

York, PA USA
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Lots of people seemed to have trouble with the elevator because to select your floor you need your key card and it is very touchy. Casino bathrooms were dirty but they were being cleaned often. I noticed sands has increased security. Hotel room has a weird Eco friendly light switch that requires you to insert your room key to turn the lights on. the room itself was clean and comfortable the tv was big. The hotel has a pool with comfy pool chairs pool water was cold. There is an exercise room close by near the elevators. Each floor has vending machines only ice and soda. room has a safe large enough for a laptop. Bed was soft and I wished I had an extra blanket. Parking is confusing.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank jjw185
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about Sands Bethlehem with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel room and that your overall impression was positive. The issues with the pool water and blankets have been addressed and will be looked into accordingly.

Again, thank you for your feedback of our property and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sands Bethlehem in the near future!