“Anniversary Getaway”

Sands Casino Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We decided to take a small overnight getaway to someplace new for our wedding anniversary. I looked at Sands online and picked one of there packages. We arrived at the hotel and were very quickly tended to by the valet. We had never been here before and it was dark when we arrived so we didn't see a lot of the outside atmosphere. The main lobby is huge and very classy. We checked in without hassle and went to the 14th floor where our king room awaited us. The rooms are very beautiful and spacious! They have all modern bells and whistles. Flat screen tv with all the hook ups for the computer and other gadgets, nice glass shower, and digital thermostat. The casino was so much nicer than other PA casinos we have been too!! They have alot of new machines and they have a huge playing floor covered in slots!!! The restaurants all seemed a little expensive but there are a lot of choices for food. Something that other PA casinos lack. Security was everywhere which I like to see. The restrooms were spotless!! Overall this is the best casino I think I have ever been too!! Loved the outlets right next to casino! Although there were not a lot of them they did have some great sales. We will definitely go back and spend some more nights here!! The only bad thing I found was that the hotel charged us $7 day to valet our car????

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Clc2012
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you very much for reviewing Sands Bethlehem on Trip Advisor; we appreciate your kind words! I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay and that you were treated with unmatched customer service throughout your trip. I'm also honored that you chose to stay with us during such a special milestone in your life!

Since you addressed the issue of $7 valet parking, may I suggest that you use the self-parking lot next to the Event Center on future trips. This lot is free of charge for guests staying at the Sands Hotel.

Again, thank you for staying with us at Sands Bethlehem, and we look forward to hosting you again on future special occasions!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I am a poker and slot player at the Sands. If you will notice, even most of the 4 and 5 star reviews on tripadvisor complain about the smoke.

The smoke is a major problem here. They have a bar that allows smoking about 20 feet from the non smoking sections and it seems that there is no adequate ventilation to take care of the problem. This is not a trivial issue. Second hand smoke causes cancer and if you spend any amount of time in the non smoking sections your clothes will smell like smoke.

From strictly a poker point of view, the room is not separated so slot machine noise will be in your head and smoke in your lungs. Most of the floor personal have a surly attitude and act like they are doing you a favor. Drink service is spotty and food options are overpriced.

Also the security guards seem to block every entry point to the casino, are often talking to each other or texting on their phones and do not act very professional.

On the plus side it is a close drive to many people.

If the casino responds to this I would appreciate a real answer as to what steps (if any) are being done to address the smoke coming into the non smoking sections.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 36states
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for providing valuable feedback on your experience at Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem. I am very disappointed to hear that your experience is not up to the high standards that we strive for at our Resort.

Since you extensively discussed your distaste for the smoke in the casino I wanted to apologize for the negative impact it had upon your well-being, and overall experience at Sands Bethlehem. Frankly, I am at a loss to understand what might have produced the concentration of smoke you described in the non-smoking areas of the casino. I might surmise that due to ventilation and air currents, the smoke was concentrated in and around the areas you occupied. Typically though, our state-of-the-art filtration system disperses enough uniform aromatic fragrance to dispel any offensive odors in the Casino, and it circulates the smoke out of the building. However, I will forward your comments to our Facilities Department so they may be aware of your concerns, and ensure all systems are properly functioning.

I will also forward your comments about the staff on the Casino floor to the proper management department. I am truly sorry to hear that they did not provide you with excellent customer service throughout your visit.

Again, I extend my apologies and invite you to contact us directly at guestservices@pasands.com as we would like an opportunity to gather more details of the challenges you experienced. It is our sincere hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations on a future visit.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Sands.booked a package. Hotel - food credit and $20 .00 free bets
Hotel is new rooms are huge and very nicely done and clean. Reception very pleasant. Not your typical A/C type.Complex fairly easy to get to. Only about 2 hours from mid Nassau county.
Wanted to try some place different.Town of Bethlehem although small very historic good to get away from casino and outlets. I thought the layout to get from the Hotel to casino well done. You need to pass through indoor outlet shops and food court.Casino is huge with large non smoking area. We have a view of the river and railway with cargo trains coking and going. Interesting.
Free continental breakfast nice touch,I thought we got a good value. Slot machine odd could be better. We ate in 2 of Emeril's restaurants,the ambiance very nice thought the food was just OK. Our main course at the Chop house took over 45 minutes and was cooked wrong.The supervisors made up for that, It was our anniversary they treated us to desert both nights.

Room Tip: There are city and river views pick which you would like
1  Thank threesecons

On behalf of all of us at Sands Bethlehem, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent trip to Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem - We appreciate your kind words I would also like to thank you for allowing us the privilege of hosting you during your anniversary! Congratulations on this special milestone and I am pleased that Sands Bethlehem contributed to your celebration. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I anxiously anticipate many more opportunities to serve you during future special occasions.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sands this past weekend. The room was great and check-in was a breeze. The slots are great, but I too have concerns about the safety getting to the hotel. To avoid going through the food court and having to try and go through the many people, I took the other way to the hotel next to Emeril's. The hallway was very long and there wasn't a security guard in sight. It was scary late at night. Also there are people that just sit behind you when you are playing slots and stare at you. They are not playing just sitting there watching you play and they do it when it is late at night. My husband and I tried to eat at St. James' Gate and there was a 2 hour wait for a table. The webpage said "reservations taken for parties over 8". I would have definitely made a reservation if I knew I could for two people. We wound up eating at the pizza place in the food court, because Emeri's also had a two hour wait.

Anyway - love the casino and usually come for the day. Don't know if I would stay over again. No comp rooms and not really worth the price.

1  Thank LBI1206
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you very much for providing valuable feedback on your recent trip to Sands Bethlehem! While I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay, I was disappointed to learn that your visit was not a complete success, and deeply apologize for the challenges you encountered. Please be assured that we take security very seriously at Sands Bethlehem, and it is our goal to make sure every guest feels safe and secure while walking around the property. We strive to create a safe atmosphere for our guests with the use of security cameras and security guards throughout the property and we are constantly monitoring everything that goes on at Sands Bethlehem.

Since value is important to you, I invite you to sign up for a MY SANDS card, which lets you earn comp'd rooms, slot free play, and other prizes based on your slot play. You are able to sign up for a card at the MY SANDS desk near the front entrance and Sands Gift Shop.

On behalf of the employees at Sands Bethlehem, I truly appreciate that you have allowed me the opportunity to learn about your recent visit, and I also appreciate the suggestions you have provided. Please be assured that we do take all feedback and suggestions seriously, and we will look into them accordingly. We invite you to stay with us again in the near future as we enjoy hosting you!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a weekend away without going too far. The hotel (and casino, but I'm not reviewing that) is just minutes off I-78 and is easy to get to. Parking was free and there were plenty of spaces, with adjacent overflow lots if needed. Check-in could not have been easier and we were welcomed immediately upon walking into the lobby.

We were on the 15th floor and the room was quite spacious. The king bed was very comfortable. The room had a large flat screen TV, the sink was located outside the bathroom which we find very convenient, and we had a decent view. We were located away from the elevators and I did not notice any hall noise, typically my chief complaint. The AC worked quite well and we were comfortable the whole weekend.

There are cameras located all over the place, a result of being attached to the casino, I suppose, and room keys are required to access the hotel floors via the elevator. We did not utilize room service during our stay, but there is a decent menu available. Other room amenities included a refrigerator and a safe.

This hotel is only 1 1/2 years old and the maintenance and condition of the facilities reflect that. Overall the hotel is clean, quiet, and very comfortable.

Room Tip: I always prefer a room away from elevators.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you very much for reviewing Sands Bethlehem on TripAdvisor - We appreciate your positive feedback! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and that you found the overall property to be clean, safe, and well-maintained. I am also pleased to hear that you found check-in to be quick and easy, and that you were treated with unmatched customer service!

Again, thank you for reviewing Sands Bethlehem on TripAdvisor. We enjoyed having you as our guest and we invite you to return in the near future!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Maybe because it is a casino but no amenities and nickle and dime you to death! Valet and phone charges, fake flowers, a 20 minute wait for champagne flutes and almost an hour wait for room service! My second stay and not impressed nor likely to return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank tisa6
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Sands Bethlehem. I understand that there are many travel options when visiting Bethlehem, PA and I sincerely appreciate and thank you for choosing Sands Casino Resort to host you during your most recent visit. I am very disappointed to hear that your visit was not a complete success. Please accept my apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay.

I am disappointed to read that you do not plan on returning to Sands Bethlehem. Earning every guests future loyalty by providing them with unmatched accommodations and customer service is very important to us; therefore, if there is anything we can do to earn your future loyalty please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly at guestservices@pasands.com. Thank you!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Sands because of a concert at the event center inside the building. Checking in took a little time because only two of the four service desks were occupied. The staff was very friendly. I tried to do the echeck-in kiosk but it didn't work for me. The elevator requires a room key to use the floor buttons. One guy ised his key for his floor then tried to punch in our floor but it wouldn't work so i had to use my key. After several attempts my key finally worked. This is about my biggest complaint about our stay. You need to use your key to turn on the heat and hallway lights. I mean you have to slide it in the slot and keep it there because once you remove it your air and lights go out. No biggie but just a little note for all you new customers. Our room was clean and spacious. We loved the bed. Very comfortable. The casino was nice and we didn't encounter the "cloud of smoke" i read in other reviews. Maybe they redesigned the ventallation. The food court was decent but took forever to get our food. We didn't shop in the outlets so i can't comment on them. The event center was nice and easy to get beverages. You didin't have to walk a mile to get a beer. All in all we really had a great time and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: January 2013
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem! We appreciate your kind words and we're happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Hotel, Casino, and Event Center. I will forward your issues with check-in to Hotel Management so they are able to improve their services to future guests.

I am happy to hear that your overall visit was a success! I invite you to visit us in the near future as we enjoy hosting you.