“A great weekend away”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“A great weekend away”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a weekend away without going too far. The hotel (and casino, but I'm not reviewing that) is just minutes off I-78 and is easy to get to. Parking was free and there were plenty of spaces, with adjacent overflow lots if needed. Check-in could not have been easier and we were welcomed immediately upon walking into the lobby.

We were on the 15th floor and the room was quite spacious. The king bed was very comfortable. The room had a large flat screen TV, the sink was located outside the bathroom which we find very convenient, and we had a decent view. We were located away from the elevators and I did not notice any hall noise, typically my chief complaint. The AC worked quite well and we were comfortable the whole weekend.

There are cameras located all over the place, a result of being attached to the casino, I suppose, and room keys are required to access the hotel floors via the elevator. We did not utilize room service during our stay, but there is a decent menu available. Other room amenities included a refrigerator and a safe.

This hotel is only 1 1/2 years old and the maintenance and condition of the facilities reflect that. Overall the hotel is clean, quiet, and very comfortable.

Room Tip: I always prefer a room away from elevators.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing Sands Bethlehem on TripAdvisor - We appreciate your positive feedback! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and that you found the overall property to be clean, safe, and well-maintained. I am also pleased to hear that you found check-in to be quick and easy, and that you were treated with unmatched customer service!

Again, thank you for reviewing Sands Bethlehem on TripAdvisor. We enjoyed having you as our guest and we invite you to return in the near future!

Marketing Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Maybe because it is a casino but no amenities and nickle and dime you to death! Valet and phone charges, fake flowers, a 20 minute wait for champagne flutes and almost an hour wait for room service! My second stay and not impressed nor likely to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank tisa6
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Sands Bethlehem. I understand that there are many travel options when visiting Bethlehem, PA and I sincerely appreciate and thank you for choosing Sands Casino Resort to host you during your most recent visit. I am very disappointed to hear that your visit was not a complete success. Please accept my apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay.

I am disappointed to read that you do not plan on returning to Sands Bethlehem. Earning every guests future loyalty by providing them with unmatched accommodations and customer service is very important to us; therefore, if there is anything we can do to earn your future loyalty please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly at guestservices@pasands.com. Thank you!

pocomoke md
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Sands because of a concert at the event center inside the building. Checking in took a little time because only two of the four service desks were occupied. The staff was very friendly. I tried to do the echeck-in kiosk but it didn't work for me. The elevator requires a room key to use the floor buttons. One guy ised his key for his floor then tried to punch in our floor but it wouldn't work so i had to use my key. After several attempts my key finally worked. This is about my biggest complaint about our stay. You need to use your key to turn on the heat and hallway lights. I mean you have to slide it in the slot and keep it there because once you remove it your air and lights go out. No biggie but just a little note for all you new customers. Our room was clean and spacious. We loved the bed. Very comfortable. The casino was nice and we didn't encounter the "cloud of smoke" i read in other reviews. Maybe they redesigned the ventallation. The food court was decent but took forever to get our food. We didn't shop in the outlets so i can't comment on them. The event center was nice and easy to get beverages. You didin't have to walk a mile to get a beer. All in all we really had a great time and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem! We appreciate your kind words and we're happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Hotel, Casino, and Event Center. I will forward your issues with check-in to Hotel Management so they are able to improve their services to future guests.

I am happy to hear that your overall visit was a success! I invite you to visit us in the near future as we enjoy hosting you.

White Lake, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Was at sands in October 2012 to see Larry the Cable Guy. The hotel itself is clean and well maintained. Found all of their employees super helpful! The property is on an old steel mill grounds which is super neat to walk around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem, I'd like thank you for visiting us and sharing your positive reviews! I'm pleased to hear that you found the property to be clean and well-maintained, and that you were treated with excellent customer service. I invite you to stay with us again soon as we enjoy hosting you!

Annandale, New Jersey
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Husband and I enjoyed a Saturday night stay at the Hotel, so as to celebrate his birthday with a nice dinner (See my review of Emeril's Chop House) and some casual gambling (see review of Casino).
About the Hotel:

ROOM: spacious, clean, modern King Room. All amenities you'd want for a short stay. The bathroom vanity is very small, so I would not have been happy for a longer stay, but for one or two nights this is fine. Bed is comfy but not extravagant. BEDDING ISSUE: there is NO comforter/blanket on the bed. Had we realized this before getting into bed, we would have called for a blanket. But seriously, there should be ONE blanket in the room. You can control the room temp very well, but like every couple I know, one of us will always need a blanket if other is comfy! To me this is a real flaw.

ELEVATORS/SECURITY: Other reviewers have commented on the long hallways, and the feeling if not being real safe. Here is what we found: upon entering the elevator, you need to use your room key to select a floor that has hotel rooms on it. BUT: ANYONE can get into the elevator from the casino floor or from the hotel lobby. And once in, ANYONE can get off at any floor. There really should be a separate elevator for hotel guests that can only be accessed with hotel key. Had I been alone, I would not have been comfortable getting onto elevator, especially from the casino level.
Also: The walk from the elevator to the casino and shopping includes a winding corridor, with many 'blind' spots {large column in middle of hallway, behind which a large person could be waiting}. Again, I would not have been comfortable making this walk alone at night.

SERVICE/STAFF: cleaning staff and front desk were friendly and courteous. A little training is still needed for front desk people, as we were immediately whisked [by a front desk employee] to a kiosk for automated check in. As soon as we started checking in, another check in person (at a desk) called over to us to come to her instead. Kind of confusing.

COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST: Sufficient, but unexciting choices for this "continental style' breakfast. Good array of fresh fruit; typical baked goods - nothing out of the ordinary/nothing special; cold cereals; yogurts.

all in all a good, convenient, comfortable place to stay if you want to spend a day/night in the casino and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LesliefromNJ
Thank you very much for reviewing the Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem - We value your feedback as we are constantly improving our property and customer service.

I will forward your reviews regarding your hotel stay to the appropriate department so they will be able to fix the issues with the comforter and check-in process. They will be happy to read your reviews and fix the issues for future customers.

As far as security is concerned, we do our best to ensure that every guest feels safe and secure in and around our property. We take great pride in providing extra security to make sure our guests feel comfortable while visiting the Casino or staying at the Hotel.

Again thank you very much for your reviews and we look forward to hosting you again soon!

Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been to this casino a few times before, but this was the first time I stayed in the Sands hotel. It was convenient to get to, since they now have parking right outside of the hotel. You need to insert your key into the elevator in order to get to the hotel floors, which is a nice security measure. The room was quite nice. Modern & clean, and the bathroom was also very nice. It also had a flat screen TV with HD. We had 2 queen size beds since there were 3 of us. The beds were very small, and the pillows were pretty flat. We were there for a concert so we were dressed in jeans and sweatshirts, and I was surprised by the dirty looks we received from a few hotel guests who were rather dressed up. The resort can't be held accountable for snooty people though. We were also pleasantly surprised to be accommodated with a complementary continental breakfast. The breakfast left room to be desired though: nothing seemed very fresh, no eggs, and I overheard another guest tell one of the workers that there was a moldy bagel. Since it was included with the room I can't really complain though. Just make sure you check your bagels if you eat there!

I do really enjoy this casino, since it has so many restaurants, bars, and shopping outlets. I am not much of a gambler so it gives you a lot of other options if your friends are gambling. I do have to mention, however, that every time I go, there are more and more bus loads of Asians coming in from NYC. It is annoying because they stare at you, follow you, and loiter. When we came out of the concert and went to a bar, there were several of them sleeping around the outside of the bar stinking up the place. The casino should really consider doing something about this. I understand they are bringing in business if they are actually gambling, but how are they helping the business if they are scaring others away & just loitering all of the time?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

On behalf of Sands Bethlehem, I apologize for the complimentary breakfast not meeting your standards. I will forward your comments to Hotel Management and they will ensure that this problem does not happen again.

Again, I appreciate your overall positive reviews and I look forward to your return trip!

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I booked a room at the Sands Casino to enjoy the casino as well as the town of Bethlehem which is beautiful and has many places of interest during the Christmas season. We purchased a room package which included admission to Christkindlemarkt, a $50 food voucher for a casino restaurant and slot money. The room was quite nice, service was very good and I was pleasantly surprised to find a complimentary breakfast was included, which was quite nice and is almost unheard of at most casinos. If there is any negative comment it's the path you must take from the hotel to the casino. You must walk through the outlet stores and directly through the food court which is very crowded most of the time. Buses of people seem to congregate there. Better direct access would be nice. We ate at the Irish pub located in the casino which had a nice variety of selections and the food was quite good. I waited for long periods of time for drink service when sitting at the slots. Also, there didn't seem to be many people winning - typically you will hear the machines making lots of noise in casinos. Part of the fun is hearing the noise of people winning. Overall it was a nice stay and we will most likely return at some point. Be sure to park down by the outlets if you are staying at the hotel. Unfortunately the lot is not covered, which matters if you are staying during the winter months.

Room Tip: Be sure to check online for packages they offer.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan H
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback on the Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem - We appreciate hearing from valued customers like you! Your patronage is very important to us so we would like to thank you for recently staying with us as we truly enjoy hosting you. We would also like to extend an invitation to you to stay with us again in the near future and we look forward to seeing you again soon!