“Loitering Asians”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Newark, New Jersey
“Loitering Asians”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Me and my boyfriend was there for his bday, Nice rooms, polite staff, clean hotel, good service.. until we went down to face all the dirty impolite asian people, They are all over the place ,sleeping in the hall ways, and on machines, taking napkin showers, stalking you while your playing. That was the only problem we had,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank simone i
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
On behalf of the Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem, thank you for your patronage and feedback - it will help us improve! We strive to provide a clean, friendly, and safe environment for all of our guests so I am sorry to hear that your experience was below average.

Again, we apologize and invite you to contact us directly at guestservices@pasands.com as we would like to hear more about your experience at the Sands.

Marketing Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Honey Brook, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I will start with the good the bed was comfortable. The room was nicely decorated.

Now to the bad........
Who chooses pale yellow for directional signs??????? We had never been there and drove up to stay at the hotel to go to the ChristkindleMarket the next day. Upon entering the hotel/resort we ended up in the Casino Parking Garage which after driving around for a bit we figured out. The directional signs outside are in small pale yellow print on a stainless steel background. We decided that the hotel would most likely have a defined entrance and we would drive around and hopefully be able to pick it out. After 20 minutes with 3 adults watching for signs we did find it and we able to unload and then find parking. The hotel was full when we had tried to book our reservation and we only able to get one room. We were waiting for them to call if they had any other availability and they did not call us back. I had called to check in the morning before we drove up and they did have a room available which we reserved. When we did actually find the hotel entrance they gave us the the newly reserved room at a much higher rate, when we explained that we were supposed to be called if a room became available and we should get the original booking rate the obliged after consulting with a manager. We had the kids with us as we were taking them to Christkindlemarket and then the Happy Elf at the John Brown Ice House Theater. We went to check out the pool it is literally the smallest pool I have ever seen in any hotel it would be comparable to the size of the pool you could buy at Walmart and set up in your yard. My son slipped next to the pool the concrete is actually pretty slippery when wet. We went then to dinner the fact that we had kids with us meant that we had to have an escort by security across the casino floor to see any of the restaraunts. Actually that didn't matter because all the restaraunts had a two hour wait with the exception of the buffet which was $60.00 a person, because it was lobster night. So we ended up eating at the food court which is similar to a mall food court with the exception of the prices and the fact that they did not appear to be independant restaraunts but different versions of casino food. A double bacon cheeseburger was $16.00 that price did get you fries though we got a burger there and for the prices it should have been the best dam burger ever but no not really.
I guess if you really just wanted to gamble and werent going to stay or eat there maybe this place would work for you. ChristkindleMarket and The Play were super great if you happen to be in Bethlehem around Christmas time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tracy O
GuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem - Your review will help us improve!
On behalf of Sands Bethlehem, I am truly sorry to hear about your experience during your stay.
I will send your comments to hotel management, which will appreciate your suggestions for improvement.
Again, we are very sorry to hear about your stay and we invite you to contact us directly at info@pasands.com.

Ronkonkoma, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I will start with the positives, the rooms were nicely decorated and clean, the Emeril's restaurants were of excellent quality, and the staff was generally pleasant.. We would not stay here again though as our reservation was intially messed up (they put us for 1 night instead of 2 which we had requested), the signage throughout the resort is terrible (there need to be signs in the casino and in the hallways to get to the hotel) as well as the signs outside directing you to the parking for the casino (you need to go to a particular driveway to see it but it should be done for all driveways into the resort) and both mornings we ran out of hot water for showers. We alerted the front desk the first morning but nothing was done to rectify the situation. The casino had a high number of out of service and disabled machines which kept changing, you'd go back to a bank of slots you liked one day and the next day they were out of service. Also hard to find an attendent when something went wrong as they frequently did, voucher wouldn't print out of machine, reels kept spinning and wouldn't stop, etc. Carneige Deli was also dirty. They have some kinks to work out at this resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Susan T
Julia C, Director of Brand Marketing at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for providing valuable feedback on your recent stay at Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem.
I would like to apologize on behalf of Sands Bethlehem for your experience during your stay.
I have forwarded your comments to hotel management, which always welcomes suggestions for improvement.
Again, we extend our apologies and invite you to contact us directly at info@pasands.com.
Regards,
Julia Corwin
Director of Brand Marketing
Cedar Grove, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was disappointed there was no spa to enjoy as I am not a gambler, but did spend some time walking around the casino which was loud and spirited. Very clean. The downside is the smoke...horrible and after a time, had to leave the area as my lungs began to hurt.
I went direct to the hotel for a reservation since all the web site kept blowing up my computer andI do love speaking with a live person. I spoke with two reps, neither one of them announced or offered package information which might have increased my length of stay. The breakfast which is offered every morning pas part of the room charge, between 7:00 and 11:00 am is is adequate for breakfast, the fresh fruit was the best part. It's served on the Casion floor in the Foundry Room which is very plain and they could do a lot more in terms of decor.
The pool was very small and they would do well to add a pool to the outside somewhere on the property and add a large cabana for changing and lite food attractions. The room service menu was severly lacking in choices and were basic. Not very inspiring and the bathroom which was lovely had no tub which was a big disappointment. They have a way to go in terms of things they could add to make it special and the lobby to me, for an investment and property that significant is really lacking decor, seating and the ambiance that makes a first impression statement. Not to sure about the industrial vistas....Overall, I'd go again, bring a little more money and try to take advantage of some sort of package. GET RID OF THE CIGARETTES, it cheapens everything.

Room Tip: Can't say too much since it was my first time staying there. However, the constant noise of the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem and providing valuable feedback! We appreciate your suggestions for improvement and I will forward your remarks to hotel management.

Your patronage is very important to us so we would like to hear more about your recent stay. Please take a moment to contact guestservices@pasands.com directly with any feedback you may have. Again, we appreciate your patronage and suggestions for improvement and we hope to have you back again soon!

NJ, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

There are not a lot of hotel choices in the area, so if you're going to Bethlehem the Sands is a good bet - unless you lose your shirt in the casino! So if you're going for a weekend getaway, to see one of the shows at the Sands, to shop, or gamble this is a good place to stay since you'll have all of that in one place.

The rooms are very nice & offer free wifi, 2 small bottles of water, coffee maker with coffee, a safe, mini-refrigerator, tv, & phone. The bathroom is configured a bit odd. You have to scoot around the large door when going into the bathroom but I'm not sure if every room is like this. It does have the sink outside the actual bathroom where the toilet & shower are. So that is a big plus if 2 or more are staying in the room. The amenities in the bathroom are very nice: Paiza products include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, & body wash. The beds are extremely comfortable. The drawback is that it's a bit of a walk to get to the casino & breakfast room. They offer a free continental breakfast at Emeril's Italian Table with delicious coffee, teas, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, breads, bagels, etc. Also included in the room rate is use of the indoor swimming pool and fitness room. It's pretty basic with a few treadmills, a bike, some free weights, and a couple of weight training machines. .

The casino is pretty large with lots of video slots and table games. They have some bars spread out all around the casino. The beverages are a bit pricey so try to sit at a machine and grab one of the waitresses with free drinks as they go by. They offer a Players Card that you can get there with a photo ID but using it in the machines is a bit tricky, you really have to pay attention to what is on the screen & what buttons you're pressing or you'll be doing it over & over. Some of the keys stick as well. There are sections for smoking & non-smoking.

They've expanded the dining options a bit to include more variety. Emeril has 3 restaurants: Emeril's Chop House, Emeri's Italian Table and a burger place. We ate at the Italian Table. I felt the pricing was a bit high for that area but it's convenient if you don't want to leave the building. The pasta lacked something taste-wise and I've heard that from others that have eaten there. The portions are very good though. I've also eaten at the St. James Gate Irish Pub. It's your regular Irish pub fare - pretty good and not as expensive as the Emeril places. They have the Carnegie Deli, Cobalt which also has a buffet & Emeril's 3rd restaurant called Emeril's Burgers & More. There is a food court that offers the usual variety of burgers, Asian, pizza, salads, sandwiches, coffee, desserts & ice cream. Again, a bit pricey for that area but convenient.

They have added an outlet shopping mall to the complex. Some of the stores include Coach, Van Heusen, DKNY, Bass & Co, Guess, IZOD, Lennox and others. The mall is between the hotel and the casino/restaurants so they direct you that way but there is a hallway that goes into the casino that is a little bit of a shorter walk than going through the mall.

There is a shuttle bus that goes all around Bethlehem. It's located outside one of the main entrances (the one near the parking garage). It's called the Bethlehem Loop and it's $2 for one ride or only $2.50 for a day pass (the best deal). There's a few different things to see in town along with some nice (less expensive) restaurants.

Room Tip: They have a shuttle bus into town, it's only $2.50 for a day pass.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JoeytravelerNJ
On behalf of Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem, we appreciate your detailed review! Your comments will help us continue to grow and serve our customers better. We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and we appreciate your patronage to all areas of the Resort. We invite you to return to the Sands Casino Resort and we look forward to hosting you again!

jacksonville, nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stopped here for a night at the casino. After several hours of playing cards I decided to stay for the night. I was very surprise to know how affordable the rooms were. I was also offered an additional discount for having a casino player’s card which I got that same night.
The room was very nice, modern, and clean. The staff is extremely helpful and attentive. There are several restaurants in the hotel; there are also a few places to get a quick bite. There are also a few outlet stores beyond the lobby. This place has something for everyone!
The spread for the continental breakfast, included, was the best I've had, ever.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lucas R
We appreciate you taking the time to review and submit your comments about the Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem. We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience here and we invite you to return as we appreciate your patronage. On behalf of Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem, thank you for being our customer!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I'll start by saying that I'm not a casino person and only stayed here because I was part of a conference. If I were a gambler, I would probably enjoy the proximity to the casino and shops to be a plus, but instead found it to be no value added. Subtracting the casino, it was a higher end Holiday Inn type hotel.
Pros: nicely decorated rooms that were large and nice bathroom, free parking that was close and well lit, friendly staff
Cons: reception area more set up for a small boutique hotel than a large hotel-- there were two desks and then self-registration kiosks, but unclear directions that you could access the kiosks instead and I suspect the lines could get quite long at the desks at peak times-- plus it felt funny standing over the registration clerk, that's why they're usually behind raised counters. My room was a bit chilly and the heat slow to respond and there were no blankets. I couldn't get the wireless to work-- I could have called downstairs but didn't want the hassle-- my fault. The dining options were all in the casino and it was a zoo down there, so I ended up grabbing take-out and retreating to my room.
I'm glad that Bethlehem is undergoing renewal by doing something with the old steel mills and this property is well integrated within that. If it's going to be a destination for something other than gambling, there's going to need to be some work done though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PhillyVoyager
We appreciate you taking the time to review the Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem - your feedback is very valuable to us. We are working to improve and your suggestions and remarks will help us provide the best customer experience possible.

We apologize for your less than average experience, however we would appreciate it if you would contact us directly at guestservices@pasands.com. On behalf of Sands Bethlehem, thank you for your patronage and feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon!