“Fun atmosphere, good food, great cocktails”

The Bookstore Speakeasy
Ranked #31 of 347 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Coplay, Pennsylvania
“Fun atmosphere, good food, great cocktails”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place has one of the most fun atmospheres I've ever experienced. It is set in the side of the building through a nondescript door and you enter into a tiny bookstore before being led into a 1920s style speakeasy in the back, lit primarily with candles. There are many interesting cocktail options and excellent cocktail options, although they are a bit pricey they are generally worth it as they go with the feel of the speakeasy, as well as a solid beer selection. The food is quite good. My wife and I went for Bethlehem restaurant week and I had the stuffed mushroom appetizer, which was amazing, and the stuffed porkloin entree which was also quite good. All in all a unique and fun place with good, reasonably priced food. I'd recommend checking it out.

• Visited June 2013

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Great first date site”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Great after dinner drinks site for a first date - throwback drinks and atmosphere can't be beat. Terrific gem in Bethlehem!

Visited February 2013
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“what a difference”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Not sure what to make of this the first time we went had an amazing time super service great food. Took my mother there for her birthday first had her meal dumped on me waiter walked away didn't offer anything to help me clean up till I asked for club soda he also gave her meal to her after his hand had been in her food since he also spilled it on himself. He was very apologetic I understand this happens but the way it was handled was awful the manager first just offered an apology eventually he said he could give us 10% off never offered a fresh meal or even enough to compensate for that entree we were also charged for beer which we never received. My gnocchi was mashed potato consistency the drinks were good. But our second experience will make us never go there again.

• Visited March 2013
PA
“A Step into the Past”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Cute idea, creating a "back room" speakeasy in the basement of a building. Very Good food - decent service, reasonable food prices. Excellent quality cocktails - but for Bethlehem PA, $12 a piece is a bit rich. The atmosphere was a bit cramped -and it's a small place. I was surprised it was pretty light on traffic of a Thursday night - I suppose when it fills up, a romantic or business dinner will be difficult.

• Visited April 2013
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“The Secret place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very nondescript from the outside just like the old speakeasies I imagine.Walking down the steps into this bar/restaurant is like going back into the 1920s except with new upholstery on the furniture so it smells good. Its dark and sexy and has lots of delicious food, and old fashioned drink choices. My husband likes the real french absinthe decanted from a gorgeous art-deco decanter and the fantastic escargot, and wild mushrooms. Its very unique without being "trendy" or obnoxious. Great place for a very cool first date. Near Lehigh University.

Visited March 2013