“Terrible customer service!”

Carnegie Deli
Ranked #111 of 355 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Carnegie Deli captures the feeling and atmosphere of its famous New York location. Experience the warmth of friendliness, with an array of delicious New York favorites. Swing by and enjoy the perfect sandwich with quality prime cuts of meat, condiments and fresh breads.
Reviewed August 31, 2014

We had an unfriendly, rude waitress. We tried to discuss it with the cashier, and she was just as bad. The rrstsursnt was half empty on a Friday nite! I think word has gotten out. They have it all wrong. You can buy huge amounts of food from a grocery store. We go to restsurants for service.

Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I was here a while back and gave it a great review, I have no idea what happened but it's a mess now.

Carnegie Deli in New York City was always one of our favorite spots, we love everything about it; the pickles, the sandwiches & the vibe of the place- old-school New York City Jewish deli. As a result, from the moment sands first opened up the deli my family would stop in there from time to time. I would love to say we would eat there frequently but we didn't because it's not particularly healthy. Still, the few times I've been to the Sands what I got was comparable, or so I thought until yesterday.

Anyway, while planning out Father's Day I thought it would be nice to give my family of 4 and in-laws a nice treat and grab 2 pastramis plus 3 knishes. Having been to to the Carnegie deli many times, including Sands establishment, I knew that two sandwiches and 3 knishes would be more than enough for the six of us. Easy enough to buy a loaf of rye bread at a grocery store.

I can't even tell you how upset I was when I got home, called my in-laws over and prepared the meal for my family. After spending $80 including tip I actually had to cut up two scrawny sandwiches into quarters so everyone could get a taste and also had to make three ham melts to feed my family. This is completely unacceptable.

It's not like I'm trying to get something that is unusual. Carnegie deli itself created the standard by which they are famous. The Sands establishment uses their name and the actual names of the sandwiches, but I'm not getting either the quality or the same amount. NYC can charge $20 a sandwich because they give you $20 in well prepared meat. If the New York City store gave people what Sands is giving they would close in a week; can't imagine this deli is doing because it's not a real Jewish deli. You're not going to get repeat customers this way, instead people will feel ripped off because the truth is only a Google search away.

This ruined Father's Day for my husband & father in law as far as I'm concerned. I had beautiful steaks I was going to make, but I opted for this instead. What I got was a horrible version of the original but because it was so late I had no time to make anything else.

Never again

Reviewed May 25, 2014

I had always heard about the size of the sandwiches here but never had the opportunity until tonight to try it and I can say they are BIG! Very tasty also! I had the chicken salad with bacon, at least 7 inches tall. I would definitely go back here again.

1  Thank jceremo
Reviewed May 21, 2014

If you like New York style delis, you may be willing to accept the outrageous prices of sandwiches at this place. I just find that paying over $20 for a sandwich RIDICULOUS. My pastrami was adequately seasoned and mostly tender, but again, way overpriced. And of course, everything was a la carte. The matzo ball soup was bland and underseasoned. The broth was tasteless with one giant matzo ball. The turkey was dry. Fried chicken tenders looked frozen as did the onion rings and French fries. The cheese cake was delicious but at $10/slice I think I will eat my sandwiches somewhere else. All told, spending almost $100 for a sandwich meal for two is something I'll pass on.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I ate here in early April with friends. It was much like eating at the NYC Carnegie Deli...including the NYC prices.

While all other eateries had very long lines, the deli had none. The biggest drawback to eating at the Sands is that you have to walk through, and wait in line, in the smoking section for this restaurant. There is no outside entrance, so feel like you've sat in an ashtray if you have any kind of wait at all.

We ate reubens, and the sandwiches were done just right. and they were huge. Complimentary pickles are served while you wait and they are also quite good - traditional and garlic. We enjoyed our meals.

Its worth noting that my husband and I both really noticed the salt and perhaps MSG content of the food the next day -- we were both feeling dehydrated from it.

The service was mediocre -- we were seated right next to the hostess station, and I am pretty sure that's the only reason we got second drinks.

Overall I rated our experience just as average. The food was good, but I wouldn't rave about it, and really, its a deli. I would eat there again, but would not go out of my way to do so.

Been to Carnegie Deli? Share your experiences!