“A True Dining Experience”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 366 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: New Street
Transit: Bethlehem Transportation Center located at Broad and Guetter Streets.
Description: Dip Into Something Different
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were seated at a cozy little table in 'lover's lane'. It was very private with the lighting on a dimmer switch. The menu choices were described in great detail and all questions were answered. This is a great way to introduce someone who has not dined at a fondue restaurant to the wonderful experience that awaits him or her.

As each course is brought out, the cooking method is explained and each of the items on the plate are pointed out with cook time suggestions given. During the meal both the server and the restaurant manager visited often to assure that we were enjoying our meal.
We were there because of a birthday celebration and were surprised at the end of the meal with a complementary gift box of chocolate covered strawberries.
We both agree that we are looking forward to our next trip to Bethlehem so we can visit the Melting Pot again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

much different than other restaurants. Our "guide" Elliot was helpful, and kept us from injuring ourselves, or losing our food in the cooking pot. Food was very good, and we kept the overall cost down by sharing the cheese and dessert portions. Dinner will take about 2 hours overall.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

What we got was very good and i mean it., nor were we rushed, and our seating was very nice. But there are lots of buts. First of all, don't say you are a first time visitor. Secondly, we did not get the cheese course and walked out unsatisfied. Nor were we able to get significant selections of the meat because they only came with the cheese. My wife ordered three different kinds of steak and got about 33% more meat then I got. Hers was "enough" if the were more vegtable or the salad sizes were much larger. My duck, steak, and sausage just wasn't enough. We shared the desert plate and vegetables and in both cases there were either one or three of the more "expensive" items. If they had added 10-20% more chocolate, I probably wouldn't have written this

1  Thank Tom D
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely love it here. The atmosphere is romantic, and the food is delicious. The original fondue is my favorite and the cheeses are very good too. It's really not pricey at all. One portion fills me up. Every month I come here and I enjoy it every time. Worth the price.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went as part of Bethlehem's restaurant week and were just thrilled with everything about it. I went in the past with 4 adults but didn't find it as enjoyable because all 4 of us had to eat exactly the same thing and that's asking a bit much from 4 people. This time, I guess because it was mid week, we were given a lovely round table with 2 burners so we could all share 2 separate selections for everything and the experience was infinitely better. Oddly, when I was asking questions I was told that they do have portable burners so I was confused why that wasn't offered at my previous visit, at least I know now I guess.

Anyway, the first time we came it was $170 for 4 adults, only 1 pot of cheese, 2 tiny salads, cocktails and 1 pot of chocolate dessert. Nice but I wouldn't have gone back if restaurant week wasn't here, we brought our 2 teens and had a blast chatting during the 2.5 hour leisurely dining experience. Restaurant week meant it was $35 pp with minor additional charges for entree broths that I really didn't really care for because they were on the plain side, the sauces are much better so the plain broth would have been fine. This time it was cheaper with a whole other course, minus the cocktails. So its not a cheap night out by any means BUT if you are looking for a really nice place to carve out some serious family time, which is exactly what I wanted, its the way to go.

Opening we had the spinach & artichoke and a second pot of the cheddar and both were amazing with the selection of refillable breads and veggies, the kids loved it instantly. The second course are tiny little salads which are tasty but nowhere near large enough- maybe 1/3 cup loosely packed greens, and restaurant week didn't downplay the portions, the salads were this small the first time I went too. The third entree course was a selection of raw meats & seafood that you drop into the broth and wait for it to cook. OK for the novelty of it but we got one of the wine & one of the mojo and I wasn't ll that impressed, they were sort of bland and the food was fancied up by the sauces so I'd just go with the cheapest and let the sauces do their thing. For the final course we all went with chocolate fondue, one pot of turtle and one of smores - so amazing. You get cut up fruit and rice krispie treats, dipped marshmallows and a bit of cheesecake. The only thing to watch is that after the chocolate gets hot, about 10 min into the course, I reached around & turned off the burner because the first time I went the chocolate got too hot and got that burned taste it gets before we were done with it, turning it off allowed the hot water in the double boiler to keep it warm until the kids were finished.

Overall I totally loved the family experience and will be back with our kids again, its so hard to get my family in one place for 2-3 hours and the dipping made for easy movement of conversation. I don't think I'll go on a busy night because I really wouldn't want to risk getting a 1 burner table again but that's not a big deal for us.

The service was extremely attentive, our waiter James was very charming & the managers made the rounds several time to assure a good experience, a young sweet girl also came by repeatedly to offer more waters. The atmosphere was casual dressy with an air of sophistication so the guys went with collared polo shirts and the girls went with sun dresses. The bathrooms are cool with a mouthwash dispenser on the wall - I didnt use it but thought it was neat for dates. The bar looked nice too for another time & based on my first visit the drinks were very very good.

I gave stars for families with children but that depends on the age & maturity of the children, I think little kids would lose it being asked to sit for 2 1/2 hours and talk, as a Mom I'd say bringing anyone under the age of 13 is asking too much of a kid - just my opinion.