“Just perfect for a family dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 347 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: New Street
Transit: Bethlehem Transportation Center located at Broad and Guetter Streets.
Description: Dip Into Something Different
PA
“Just perfect for a family dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went as part of Bethlehem's restaurant week and were just thrilled with everything about it. I went in the past with 4 adults but didn't find it as enjoyable because all 4 of us had to eat exactly the same thing and that's asking a bit much from 4 people. This time, I guess because it was mid week, we were given a lovely round table with 2 burners so we could all share 2 separate selections for everything and the experience was infinitely better. Oddly, when I was asking questions I was told that they do have portable burners so I was confused why that wasn't offered at my previous visit, at least I know now I guess.

Anyway, the first time we came it was $170 for 4 adults, only 1 pot of cheese, 2 tiny salads, cocktails and 1 pot of chocolate dessert. Nice but I wouldn't have gone back if restaurant week wasn't here, we brought our 2 teens and had a blast chatting during the 2.5 hour leisurely dining experience. Restaurant week meant it was $35 pp with minor additional charges for entree broths that I really didn't really care for because they were on the plain side, the sauces are much better so the plain broth would have been fine. This time it was cheaper with a whole other course, minus the cocktails. So its not a cheap night out by any means BUT if you are looking for a really nice place to carve out some serious family time, which is exactly what I wanted, its the way to go.

Opening we had the spinach & artichoke and a second pot of the cheddar and both were amazing with the selection of refillable breads and veggies, the kids loved it instantly. The second course are tiny little salads which are tasty but nowhere near large enough- maybe 1/3 cup loosely packed greens, and restaurant week didn't downplay the portions, the salads were this small the first time I went too. The third entree course was a selection of raw meats & seafood that you drop into the broth and wait for it to cook. OK for the novelty of it but we got one of the wine & one of the mojo and I wasn't ll that impressed, they were sort of bland and the food was fancied up by the sauces so I'd just go with the cheapest and let the sauces do their thing. For the final course we all went with chocolate fondue, one pot of turtle and one of smores - so amazing. You get cut up fruit and rice krispie treats, dipped marshmallows and a bit of cheesecake. The only thing to watch is that after the chocolate gets hot, about 10 min into the course, I reached around & turned off the burner because the first time I went the chocolate got too hot and got that burned taste it gets before we were done with it, turning it off allowed the hot water in the double boiler to keep it warm until the kids were finished.

Overall I totally loved the family experience and will be back with our kids again, its so hard to get my family in one place for 2-3 hours and the dipping made for easy movement of conversation. I don't think I'll go on a busy night because I really wouldn't want to risk getting a 1 burner table again but that's not a big deal for us.

The service was extremely attentive, our waiter James was very charming & the managers made the rounds several time to assure a good experience, a young sweet girl also came by repeatedly to offer more waters. The atmosphere was casual dressy with an air of sophistication so the guys went with collared polo shirts and the girls went with sun dresses. The bathrooms are cool with a mouthwash dispenser on the wall - I didnt use it but thought it was neat for dates. The bar looked nice too for another time & based on my first visit the drinks were very very good.

I gave stars for families with children but that depends on the age & maturity of the children, I think little kids would lose it being asked to sit for 2 1/2 hours and talk, as a Mom I'd say bringing anyone under the age of 13 is asking too much of a kid - just my opinion.

• Visited June 2013

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
“You Have to Try At Least ONCE!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We came here with another couple and we had an absolute BLAST!!! I had the Sunshine Sangria and it was delicious, although the second one I ordered was a bit too sweet. The food was excellent. At first, it doesn't seem like a lot of food and the portions look small; however, we left there stuffed. We each ordered the Four-Course Experience which comes with a cheese fondue, a salad, an entree and a chocolate fondue. We got the spinach artichoke cheese and it was out of this world. It came with apples, bread, tortilla chips, and veggies. If you wanted more "dippers" they would bring you more at your request for no charge. For the salad I ordered the Spinach salad--it was one of the best I ever had! We all ordered pretty much the same entree, except my fiance had andouie (sp?) sausage with his and said it was awesome. I had the lobster tail, chicken breast, shrimp and filet mignon and it also comes with a bowl of veggies/potatoes. Yes--you do have to cook your own food--but it is actually very fun and doesn't take that long. We were in and out in about two hours, but we had so much fun, we didn't even realize we were there that long!!

Now, the best part...the chocolate fondue. We ordered the yin & yang (white and milk chocolate) and it was to die for. I am not a fan of white chocolate...AT ALL. However, the white chocolate they used does not taste like any white chocolate I ever had! I actually liked this one!! To dip you get cheesecake, rice crispy treats, strawberries, pound cake, marshmallows, and banannas. Again, if you need more dippers, your server will be happy to bring them to you.

Our server was awesome (wish I remembered his name!) and upon arriving asked us if we were celebrating anything. Our friends told him me and my fiance were newly engaged and when they brought out our chocolate fondue they also brought me and my fiance some pieces of pound cake built up like a little cake with a candle on top and two chocolate covered strawberries!!!! Thanks guys!!!

Our experience was a little frustrating at first, because a couple came into the restaurant at 8pm with three little kids and sat two tables behind us. The children were so extremely loud and obnoxious that we had to say something to the manager who handled the situation immediately. Finally the parents quieted down the kids (which, they should've known better before they were told). I don't have a problem with you bringing your family out to dinner, but PLEASE have respect for the other diners or choose a more kid-friendly restaurant such as Chuck E. Cheese!

It is a little pricey but you get four courses and we left there stuffed. You will probably pay between $35 to $50 pp depending on what you order. But the experience is WELL worth it!!

• Visited June 2013
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Fussy and pricey, but good if you can deal with that.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

If you don't mind cooking your own food and paying heed to multiple rules to avoid cross contamination, it can be a fun and very tasty experience. The cheese fondues are superb; it's when you get into the meats and seafood that things can get dicey, and I don't think they're as good as the cheese combinations. For what you get, I think they prices are rather outrageous as well. But, with the right people at the right time, it can be quite fun.

• Visited November 2012
Avoca
“Pricey, but try it at least once”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Wife and I enjoy The Melting Pot, and so was this visit. The food was excellent, the service was super, the drinks were very good and the overall experience was great. Part of what we love about it is that it is more of an "experience" than just eating out at a regular restaurant. It did take several hours from the time we got there until we were finished and this is part of what we enjoyed. You are not rushed as in many restaurants and the way this dining experience is set up, you don't want to rush through it. We did the four course meal and everything came out in a timely manner - not too slow but not rushed either. If you are a couple, I suggest you ask for a seat in "lovers lane", a private secluded area of the restaurant that makes your dining experience even more intimate.

• Visited April 2013
Andreas, Pennsylvania
“Amazing, an experience, not just a dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was not my first time, and it won't be my last! Dinner is at least 2 hours, probably closer to 3. We always go with the 4 course meal, and it's great that all the food is made right there, and your entree you make yourself. Our waiter was absolutely amazing, the atmosphere is romantic, and the food is delicious. They did just have a menu change, it was the only down side to the night. I need gluten free and they no longer have a gluten free menu. Our waiter assured us that anything could be made gluten free, but when it's your health at stake...well, I wasn't as comfortable with that as I would have been with either a gf menu or a little designation on the menu what was or wasn't gf. It's not a cheap place to eat, though you could go with just cheese and chocolate for an inexpensive night out. And it's well worth the cost.

• Visited March 2013