“Good hotel, poor customer service”

Hyatt Place Bethlehem
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 3 nights during an unexpected local power outage. We were lucky to even get booked since they initially told us everything was booked, but we kept refreshing the page (camped out at the Lehigh Valley Mall, one of the few places with power) and found an opening. We booked immediately, but not before noticing a significant price increase.

We had no idea how long the outage was going to last, but with estimations around a full week, we decided on 3 nights, assuming electricity would be restored by then. Well, it turns out that we got our power back that very night, after having unpacked our stuff in the room, which itself was very nice and clean. We had a pretty ugly view of the parking lot, but the interior was great.

The breakfast was pretty good too with an assortment of bread, fruit, cereal, and even some hot breakfast sandwiches.

However, we tried to speak to the front desk several times that night about canceling the next two nights of our reservation since our power was back. They refused to refund us even though we told them we booked this in an emergency situation. So we were essentially forced to stay the entire duration and it cost over $400 for the 3 nights. As nice as the place was and even with its good amenities and decent location, I wouldn't recommend staying here under emergency situations or you're likely to be taken advantage of.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dee B
JMcDonald5501, Manager at Hyatt Place Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

I am so sorry for the way your situation was handled during your stay here for a power outage. Unfortunately, if you book through a third party hotel there are no cancellations or refunds. This is how you receive a discounted price, but you also are paying in advance. If the circumstances were different we would have loved to help you the best we could! We're in the business of helping people, and strive for excellence in that area. Again, I apologize for any miscommunication or inconvenience this may have caused you. Hopefully there won't be any long power outages again this year! Thank you for your feedback and your review.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed for literally less then 8 hours while visiting Lehigh University. I called prior to making our reservation to make sure they could accommodate a late check in (1am). I was assured this would be no problem. My name was taken to flag my reservation when it showed up. When we arrived around 1am the front desk was so welcoming and quick to get us checking into our room. The room was absolutely HUGE and I was really sad that we were going to be checking out in the morning. Everything was spotless, and the beds were heavenly!! Having driven I was starving and was thrilled to see room service was 24hrs! Anyone that will make me nachos at 1:30am is tops in my book (and they were really good too)! We went downstairs so my son could get a hot breakfast in the morning. I had a wonderful vanilla latte. I asked to speak with the manager on duty to express my gratitude for the service. Ms. Maiatico remembered speaking with me on the phone over a week prior and flagging my reservation! She was just as wonderful as everyone else, and offered me her card. I highly recommend the Hyatt Place to anyone visiting Lehigh or the Bethlehem area!!

1  Thank Per5nickety

You were even able to meet our General Manager, Denise! That's great! Our hotel owes our wonderful customer service attitude to her dedication and loyalty to her staff. We couldn't do it without her! Thank you so much for recognizing Denise, as well as the rest of our staff on the wonderful customer service you received during your stay. Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I strongly recommend this hotel to everybody who visit Bethlehem, PA. Very friendly and helpfull staff at the front desk. I also would like to them for all their kind help during our stay. Rooms are very clean and comfortable, localisation is perfect. Nothing to say more, congratz to manager of this hotel....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Baris D

What a great review! Thank you so much for your positive feedback and we'll be sure to pass along your comments to our General Manager, Denise. Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The place is in a great location if you are attending any events in Downtown Bethlehem

The hotel is brand new with no signs of wear anywhere I could see. The rooms are super modern but because of that I found two things annoying, 1) The placement of the bathroom sink/mirror lights which are super bright are right across from the bed and if you are laying there while they are on (as someone is at the sink) they blast you in the eyes. 2) There is no tub but only a funky shower with a glass partition and door that only closes 3/4 of the way splashing your shower water onto the floor. The unit is very narrow to as if you swing your elbows out while in the shower you will hit the wall or glass partition.

A free breakfast is provided, but the place can be a zoo with everyone trying to eat there at once, especially when it is close to shutdown time. They do have other sandwich and snack type food items available for purchase 24/7 and we did take advantage of this during our stay to get a sandwich, cookies, and a late night muffin!

The rates can be expensive during certain times and often groups of youths can be seen throughout the facility. The place also does not have any parking so you must use the garage across the street, but that is included with your stay.

All in all, I do recommend this property and because it is a Hyatt, it appears they are striving to deliver the service one would expect from the chain.

Room Tip: NOTE: Ice machines are only located on even floors, which was inconvenient for us based on our room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GTPM

The location of this hotel is perfect! You can walk to quite a few restaurants and shop downtown in historic Bethlehem. We love that we are able to recommend non-chain restaurants to our guest. But, if you don't feel like walking we also have a 24/7 menu that our Gallery Hosts can make for you at any time of the day. Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights end of July through August 2013. We picked this hotel since it is pet friendly. I must say upon entering the hotel, the pictures were true to what others have posted/what is on the website. Very beautiful!! The staff was very helpful and accomodating. Our dog was also treated very well also. Our room was really nice, and spacious. I was however a bit surprised to find some sort of stain, or something on the head board of one of the beds, not sure what it was but I always travel with clorox wipes and I usally go through and clean things before we actually get settled. I have a small son and I do not want him touching things until we have had a chance to clean it. The room was overall clean, but again I did my cleaning also. The air is a bit tempermental and it is either really low (cold) or hot (high temp), that was a bit of a pain. The pool area was nice and clean, not very big but enough to enjoy. We ate several times at the Bethlehem Brew Works, the hotel staff suggested it and it was GREAT!!! We really enjoyed it. Also Dortos was not bad, a small mom and pop place...it was ok for a quick inexpensive lunch. Sals Pizza is also very GOOD, really enjoyed the pizza there. I wish the hotel had parking at the facility, but it is across the street, not terribly bad, but a bit of a pain. The bus station is a bit sketchy, but all in all a safe area....I think!! It is right across the street where you have to park (in the parking garage). The continental breakfast is substandard, I actually did not feel well after eating it on our last day. I think they could do better with it, and make the time longer 9am is way to early. And possibly have better food options, just a thought... Overall we had a great stay!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
JMcDonald5501, Manager at Hyatt Place Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

We LOVE that you were able to bring your pet with you during your travel! We have been pet friendly for only a year now, but we love to get to see all of the different dogs that walk in and out of "our home." We are so pleased that our staff was so accommodating to you, your family and of course - your little best friend! Thank you so much for your feedback on the cleanliness of the room, we have shared your information with our executive housekeeper and she has shared it with her staff. We truly value your opinion and hope to see you and your pets again soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Place having gone through Hotwire, who gave me a last minute rate about half or more off the regular room price. The hotel's decor and subdued colors were very relaxing while still being posh. The location downtown is excellent, allowing us to go out the front door straight into downtown Bethlehem and walk around town without worrying about driving. The town was just getting into a music festival in the historic district so things were really hopping. That's about the only good things I can say about the hotel. Although I indicated on Hotwire that I had 3 adults in my party, the hotel originally gave us just one king bed. The desk clerk was kind enough to give us 2 beds instead of one, but our impressions of the hotel declined after that anyway. The hotel manager (I think) gave us information about the music festival and things to see, which was appreciated. An early concern I had was finding lipstick from a previous guest on the ceramic coffee cup in our room, indicating that the maid service did not clean that before allowing the room to be occupied again. The rest of my comments are not about the staff, who really were helpful, but about the hotel and my hotel room itself. The lighting at the sink was very low, which was fine for a man, I suppose, or a romantic couple, but not for ladies putting on makeup. The outlet at the sink was right next to the faucet, creating a potential hazard when electrical appliances are plugged in so close to a water source, especially since there was plenty of counter space at the other end, which ironically gave us space to put toiletries but had no outlet, which would have been safer. The area around the the very convenient mini-fridge had no place to wash cups or throw liquids out. There was no literature about the Bethlehem area in the room, only at the front desk area, and even then we had to ask for some. I found the TV confusing. The air conditioner would not regulate the room temperature correctly so we had to turn it off. The breakfast was adequate and the Starbucks coffee was fantastic, but running breakfast for two and a half hours did not seem enough. 9:00 does not seem an appropriate time to end a meal for people on vacation or business, and since I suspect that a minimum of preparation was needed, and that nothing was actually cooked in the kitchen, I wondered what the rush to finish up was. I also did not like parking my car in the public parking garage across the street, no matter how close it was. And although I am used to carrying my own suitcases, upon arrival no one asked us if we needed help in bringing in our suitcases. I did find my bed to be very comfortable, which seemed to be a ray of light in a very unexpected list of negatives about a very highly rated hotel brand. The hotel just did not have any character or charm to it. So since I can personally compare it to hotels I have stayed in throughout Europe, the US, and the Caribbean, I cannot recommend it (except for the beds).

2  Thank dunebugandmissbug

We apologize for any negatives that you experienced during your stay with us, but truly appreciate the feedback. We take these reviews and share them with our entire hotel team in hopes to better your stay for a future visit. In response to some of your concerns, we'd like to share with you our Hyatt Place hotel structure. We are a limited service hotel with a very small number of employees. Our Gallery Hosts at the front desk check you into your room, make the 24/7 Gallery food, are your Starbucks baristas, and handle all guest requests. Unfortunately, we do not have a bellman service to be able to take your bags up to your room for you during your check-in process, and we also do not provide valet parking. These are a few things that are not a part of a limited service brand hotel. Also, our breakfast is from 6:30AM-9:00AM on the weekdays, but for our vacation and leisure guests on the weekends, our breakfast hours are 7:00AM-10:00AM. We hope you can make it back to relax on a weekend here with us and enjoy a longer breakfast and a comfortable room! Thank you so much for your review and feedback.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt two nights (Friday and Saturday) and I would have given this property a huge 5 circles except for one thing: Our room was surrounded by rooms occupied by a bunch of female (~12 years old) soccer teams that were in town for some soccer matches over the weekend. The management had been alerted to possible complaints about noise. They posted signs in the hallways and elevators that stated that quiet time was 9pm. The parents of the young ladies also helped patrol the halls on the first night. On the second night, the parents were noisier than the girls. They weren’t rowdy, just a shade noisy. Things finally calmed down on Fri. eve at 11pm…probably from exhaustion.

If it hadn’t been for the noisier hallways, this would have been a perfect stay. Everything in the room worked to perfection, although I had difficulty finding what was on particular channels of the huge flat screen TV. The wi fi internet connection was very user-friendly, lighting was satisfactory, and we had hot water. The room was very clean as expected. The breakfast was great with many selections (fruit, egg omelets, waffles, cereal, cold milk, coffee, etc.) The management should pay more attention to cleaning the eating area more quickly. On both days we ate breakfast, we could not find a clean table to eat.

Hotel staff were very professional, friendly, and helpful. Guest parking is across the street in a public garage. You get a ticket when you enter the garage and you get it validated at the front desk. You can enter and exit as often as you wish and you get a new ticket each time you enter to park your vehicle.

Room Tip: If you are staying over a weekend, check to see if there are any pre-teen, or teen, sports groups bo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rcubed2

We are sorry if you experienced any excessive noise during your stay with us. Our goal is to make sure that you are comfortable and relaxed while here at our hotel. We truly appreciate that you understand some noise is out of our control, but we always do our best to alleviate it when possible. Thank you so much for staying with us, and thank you for recognizing the cleanliness of our hotel, as well as the kindness of our employees. We hope to see you again soon!