“Redemption? I don't think so!”
Review of Sands Casino

Sands Casino
Ranked #3 of 44 things to do in Bethlehem
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stopped in before my sons hockey game , so I had limited time to play. Slot selection was great! Place is huge and easy to navigate and parking was easy. Played a Yahtzee machine which was a blast. Had 15 minutes to get out of there and the trouble began. Put my ticket in the redemption machine and nothing happens...no money, no ticket, nothing! Stood there for 15 minutes before I could flag down an employee. When I did he said we would have to go to the cashier on the other side of the casino. Girl at the counter gets a manager who leaves and comes back about 15 minutes later with my $$. I was late for my kids game and it left a real bad taste in my mouth for the Sands.

1  Thank William L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Everything smelled like we were in the smoking section and anything that didn't smell like day old cigarettes was over powered by strong obnoxious room freshener....and this is the most positive thing I can say.

The crowd was sketchy and I found myself checking to be sure I had my wallet more often then normal

Although there was visible security I was still worried walking to our car in the garage. So much so that I opted for the open stairs rather than ride the garage elevator.

4  Thank GV27OCMD
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Why doesn't someone do something about all the terrible reviews written about the bus people, they sleep everywhere, they smell bad, they wash and bath in the bathrooms, , they stare at you and stand behind your back while playing. Why would anyone that runs a business allow this to continue? I NEVER will return there again. Last time there my friend got the wrong meal at the chinese place and took it back, they went to the man that got her order and gave it to my friend , it had his fork in it.What the ???? They need to shut this deplorable place down!!!!!

14  Thank wolfnater
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I went with a group of 12 to celebrate my son's 21st birthday. While the celebrating was fun, I was totally creeped out by the casino. There were people sleeping in the chairs at the slot machines and others milling about looking at the floor (hoping to find dropped money?). Since I live near by I started asking friends and family if their experience there was the same. I was told lots of stories about people being bussed in and staying there for more than 24 hours at a time and not only sleeping at the slot machines but bathing in the sinks in the bathrooms. I won't be going back.

14  Thank Work2Vacation
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I'm not a gambler so I must state that up front. I stayed here one night on a business trip as it was close to my meetings.

I understand that the town and Sands are trying to revive an area depressed by the mill closures. I also understand that this has created jobs for local people and assume it also provided decent tax revenue. So, from that stand point, it is good, I guess.

However, I found the desolate mills purposely left surrounding the complex to be depressing. I realize that this is the history etc. but for some reason it bothered me. The hotel was decent but if you wanted something to eat or drink, you had to walk through the mall to the food court or restaurants. Once you got anywhere near the casino, the stench or cigarette smoke and the piped in brothel smell was overwhelming. We walked around in the casino and the typical gambler was 55+ and many looked much older. Most people looked to be very "blue collar' and were probably gambling with money they should not be as many were eating out of pre-packed lunches in the food count. Depressing....The waitresses all invested (probably money they don't have) with their local plastic surgeons to enhance their appearance and their tips....again depressing.

The mall had some higher end stores but was pretty empty when I was there on a Wed. night. We ate breakfast at Steelworks Thursday a.m. which was empty but still the service was slow. Sorry Bethlehem, I couldn't wait to get out of town. I do hope that this venture is successful for you, it's just not for me.

3  Thank pjc1156