“Great food, great experience”
Review of Mama Nina's

Mama Nina's
Ranked #24 of 347 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dallas, Texas
“Great food, great experience”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We were looking for a local restaurant to have a nice dinner in, and Mama Nina's was recommended by a shop owner (unsolicited recommendation) who said that was where he was ordering his dinner from. When we asked our hotel front desk for a suggestion, this was at the top of their personal list of good restaurants - so off we went! What a delightful evening we had at this cozy, popular place. We walked from our hotel, but could spot our destination a block away because of a small crowd on the sidewalk. The restaurant was filled with tables and diners, and there is no room inside to wait, so you wait outside where there were tables and heaters for the crowd (it was a cool evening, but comfy by the heaters). There also was complimentary wine and appetizers brought out hot from the kitchen to keep those waiting happy - and it worked well for us. It was fun watching the comings and goings of the maitre d', the chatter about who was really next on the list, the mingling of the local 30-somethings, and our peers (parents of local college students in town for parent's weekend). When we finally got our turn to enter the restaurant (@ 45 minute wait - but again, a very entertaining wait), we were escorted to a small table where a plate of warm garlic and oil drenched rolls graced the center. We hesitated to munch on bread since we had already had calamari and pizza on the sidewalk, but it was too hard to resist and quite delicious. We chose a crab stuffed ravioli dish to share, and it was amazing. Scallops and shrimp were heavy in the creamy, herbed sauce and the pasta was perfectly cooked. We also enjoyed our salads prior to the entree. All in all, we not only enjoyed the delicious food at Mama Nina's, but the whole experience was really delightful the evening we were there. We will definitely head back to this popular restaurant the next time we are in Bethlehem.

Pennsylvania
“Love it!”
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I'm not sure where the last reviewer ate, because this is one of our favorite restaurants in town. We are here regularly (about twice a month since it opened) and we have never been disappointed. The food is always fresh and tasty and the portions are generous - the lobster ravioli and the seafood key west are two of our favorites. Portions are large enough that we usually just split a salad and share and entree - and still often go home with leftovers. The staff is courteous and friendly. During the colder months seating can be a little tight and on busy weekends be prepared to wait for a table during prime dinig hours. But we love going here and definitely recommend this place!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“If you decide to go here, you better like garlic. This is one of those places where you can count on the food being...”
Reviewed September 24, 2009

If you decide to go here, you better like garlic. This is one of those places where you can count on the food being good, the dining room crowded, the staff friendly, and the portions generous. Scratch that... the portions are huge. It's not what I would call "fine dining". This is rustic, fresh, garlic-infused goodness that will make you want to come back again and again. Oh, and I believe it is BYO, so plan accordingly.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Bethlehem, PA
“Read this before squandering your $$$ here”
Reviewed September 18, 2009

My husband and I recently spent an evening here for dinner. I say an evening because it was over an hour and 40 minutes after we were seated that we served our food.

The atmosphere is very charming and cozy. The restaurant is BYO which we love. We were served bread rolls with mounds of fresh garlic and drenched in oil. They were quite tasty and we were so excited to have found another restaurant to frequent.

When our food finally arrived, the presentation could not have been worse. We were both served gigantic piles of food. The waitress asked me if my tuna steak was cooked to order (medium rare), and before I could even look at my plate, she walked off. After examining my heap of food, I couldn't even find the tuna steak. When I unearthed it from the mound of "carmelized" onions that were not the least bit carmelized, the tuna steak was grey. Tuna steaks are my favorite meat, and I have had a number of them in my years. This was the worse tuna steak I have EVER eaten, at a restaurant or in a home. It tasty fishy, was dry and overcooked. I cannot begin to describe how terrible this steak was, AND it had no flavor!

My plate was piled high with pasta and what seemed to be the leftovers from the kitchen, and there would have been plenty to feed the table, but it was INEDIBLE! My scallops were full of sand and tiny, also overcooked. The waitress never came back to check on us, which was fine because she previously had rolled her eyes to another table when they complained that for fine dining prices this was not fine dining food.

That was a horrible experience, and I would NEVER wish this food upon anyone interested in quality instead of quantity.

3 Thank Traveling_Elf
Pennsylvania
“Delicious, VERY garlicky Southern Italian”
Reviewed July 15, 2009

This is not the refined, elegant food of Northern Italy, so don't expect that. But it is indeed delicious, and generous in portion. It's a flat out garlic -fest. You will actually ooze garlic out of your skin for a couple of days afterwards. The whole staff is extremely friendly, and fabulous even to my messy, loud kids. The sidewalk seating is fun in the summer. But it's not a quiet, romantic, secluded place, better for good times with family and friends.

2 Thank bogle821