“Holy Cow that was a lot of money”

Forty-Niner Cafe at the Furnace Creek Ranch
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Kansas City, Missouri
“Holy Cow that was a lot of money”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

For our last meal in Death Valley, my girlfriend and I stopped at the 49er Cafe at Furnace Creek Ranch. We each had a burger and fries and wound up spending nearly $40! The food was good, I have to admit, but I wouldn't do it again. And any restaurant that has a fee if two people order only one item ($4.00 "plate charge") is disgusting, in my opinion. They're just after your money.

The restaurant itself has a nice atmosphere to it. I really liked looking at the menu from 1940 they've framed and put on the wall, for instance. There's a family-owned feeling to it, even though it's owned by a corporation.

The staff was nice enough, and like I said, I enjoyed the food. But I felt gross after paying the bill. Even in Death Valley, there are limits and I can't help but feeling gouged here.

• Visited January 2011

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Affordable, good quality, friendly staff.”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We stayed at Furnace Creek Ranch for one night during our recent trip from Vegas to Yosemite. We ate at the Forty-Niner as it was convenient and less formal than the restaurant next door. Service was very quick (we had glasses of water more or less as soon as we sat down!) and our food arrived quickly. The menu is the usual burgers, pasta, steaks, etc and from what we saw of other diners, it all looked good. I ordered a burger and my partner ordered a chicken sandwich burger - both of which were big and hot when they arrived. The special fries were lovely! We finished with apple pie and lemon meringue pie which were both delicious. Our server (Amy) was very pleasant and we were able to have a laugh and joke with her.

Köln
“Affordable restaurant in Death Valley”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

There is not so much choice of restaurants in Death Valley. Among those, the 49er cafe may be the cheapest. They have a good selection of salads and burgers and the food is well-prepared and tasty. It is a bit more expensive than in an 'ordinary' place but for a national park concessionary the prices are ok.

Horncastle, United Kingdom
“Excellent service”
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Good wholesome filling food served by the friendliest most helpful staff anywhere. We were welcomed with ice cold water which was topped up constantly - a blessing in the desert heat.
The prices were quite high but it is miles from civilisation and the service is so good. Brilliant value if compared to somewhere like Starbucks.
I would certainly go again if I were in the area as the steakhouse at Furnace Creek is v expensive and there is nothing else for more than 20 miles.

Los Angeles, California
“Convenient and that's it”
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We ate here on our first night during President's Day weekend, and it was very crowded. The only good thing about this place is that it is located on hotel property so very convenient. Other than that, the service was VERY slow, the food was subpar, and the prices were pretty expensive. I was expecting alittle more from a restaurant on hotel property, but it is Death Valley.