“Convenient and that's it”

Forty-Niner Cafe at the Furnace Creek Ranch
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We ate here on our first night during President's Day weekend, and it was very crowded. The only good thing about this place is that it is located on hotel property so very convenient. Other than that, the service was VERY slow, the food was subpar, and the prices were pretty expensive. I was expecting alittle more from a restaurant on hotel property, but it is Death Valley.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

We tried the 49er Cafe at Furnace Creek Ranch. Wow, did they serve a lot of food!
I ordered the 49er meatloaf dish that included meatloaf, vegetable, mash potatoes. They actually served 2 big slices of meatloaf with my order. I absolutely could not finish so much food; although it was good. I have never ordered meatloaf and had 2 slices served! Good busy environment with lots of people around. Service was good and efficient. Definitely recommend it.

Reviewed April 9, 2010

Water never tasted so good, and the refills kept coming. Great food options for families. Reasonable prices given the isolated location and lack of other options.

Reviewed January 20, 2010

I arrived at the Forty-Niner Cafe hungry and ready for breakfast at 10.36 am. It was closed. They close between 10.30am and 11am - then re-open for lunch. Same story at the bar next door - they start serving lunch at 10.30am! Unbelievable.

Later in the day, before leaving Death Valley, I went back in and got a slice of apple pie to go . It was a small slice that cost, I don't know, a gazillion dollars. When I opened the box to eat it later I realised the waiter had actually heated up the pie and then put a dollop of unasked for cream on it. So, an hour later I had a box full of lukewarm mush to enjoy. Great.

Basically at Furnace Creek there are very few food options so you just have to put up with such nonsense. The only reason I would recommend it is because there's virtually nowhere else. Every single person working there is kind've weird too. Friendly, but odd. Maybe working in Death Valley does something to the brain...

1  Thank alisonruth
Reviewed January 3, 2010

This cafe is located inside the Furnace Creek Ranch, at the hub of the Death Valley National Park. We went there for dinner on Dec. 25. It was quite crowded. We ordered some sandwich, gyro and fish. The gyro tasted very good. The price is a bit high, ~$15 for one sandwich with some side dish. The portion was not too big. Considering the location of the restaurant, it is a good choice among other restaurants in death valley NP.

1  Thank travelplanner_TX