Forty-Niner Cafe at the Furnace Creek Ranch
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Stoke-on-Trent, England, UK
“Good Food”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This cafe/restaurant is ideally placed at the front of the ranch. It offers a good choice of meals, albe a little pricey. Service is good & friendly. Highly recommended, even if you're just passing through.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bentley1967

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Poor service,poor food, disappointing expensive breakfast”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

After a lot of travel was very excited to be ordering american style breakfast. Ordered French toast described as coming with fresh berries on the menu. Arrived limp Luke warm and tasteless, and with no berries. Eventually managed to get attention of waitress, who disputed the menu description and was uninterested. Also we were unable to obtain any coffee refills so ended up leaving hungry, thirsty and disappointed. I understand that price for food will be high due to location but to have this with poor food and even worse service is unacceptable. Would not return.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank hreakes
London, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly good and not too expensive”
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived in Death Valley after the government shut down we were quite disappointed that we could not see the park. We stayed for one night at the furnace creek ranch and we had diner at the 49 cafe. I had very low expectation and was more expecting a high hill, the food was actually nice, not the best but good quality, I can recommend the fried chicken. My boyfriend had the burger which was good. Our waitress livia was very friendly. We had a very good evening at a very reasonable price. Good value for money

Visited October 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Slim pickins in the desert”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

A friend and I were on an extended road trip. We stopped at the Forty-Niner for lunch. Since the stop was mid-week not in-season quite yet, I was not surprised to see the restaurant fairly empty. Even so, it took a long time to place an order and much longer to get the food. I ordered a simple salad. No choice was given as to available dressing. When served, the salad had lettuce that clearly had been in a refrigerator for some time. The high point was the friendly and cheerful attitude of the server.

• Visited September 2013
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Worst meal/stop of our two week trip”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Ok so I can't comment on the accommodation as this was a lunch stop for us on our way from LV to Lone Pine so this is purely on the restaurant where we ate lunch, the 49-ers Cafe.

So we expected it to be really busy being one of only a handful of stops for lunch whilst driving through the valley but we were pleasantly surprised at being seated within about 10 mins but that's where the positives end I'm afraid!!

The waiting staff tried but were all obviously completely frazzled trying to keep on top of serving the mad Europeans who travel to/through DV in the summer months!!

Four meals were served and they seemed to have forgotten the fifth, only after did we remind them did it arrive after the other diners were half way through their food. My husband ordered chilli which was supposed to be served with nachos, it came with some really strange looking biscuits - clearly not nachos. The quality of the meals I can only describe as dire - the chilli looked and tasted like it had come out of a packet. We didn't complain because we could see how stressed the staff were and we just wanted to be on our way but I can categorically say I would never eat here again!

p.s. it was probably the most expensive meal of our trip too excepting Scarpetta at the Cosmopolitan in Vegas