“Living History at Death Valley”

Amargosa Opera House and Hotel
Redlands, CA
“Living History at Death Valley”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

First of all, Death Valley Junction is more ghost town than town. It is not orderly and it has not seen modern development in 85 years. To me, this is a good thing. Expect a clean but not modern room, friendly staff, beautiful murals and a show by Marta Becket, skylights, and an incomparable immersion into Death Valley history. This place is rich. The sky puts on a show every night... wake up for the sunrise, enjoy the sunset, count shooting stars. One of the coolest hotels I've stayed at. The hotel is only a portion of what was once an entire town in one single structure. I loved wandering around and peeking through the windows into the uninhabited parts of the building. Don't be spooked, there's great karma here. If you expect room service, television, a pool, Denny's nearby, and the bland sameness you find at most motels, this is not the right place for you. It's Death Valley, for Pete's sake, it's supposed to be an adventure. Some of the older reviews say there's no food here: no longer true. The cafe serves the best food in Death Valley Junction.

My family & I spent two nights here... the boys are 3 & 6 years old. We all loved it, and the boys didn't want to leave. We went in January, and brought extra fleece blankets, which was a good idea. The space heater worked fairly well, but DV is seriously cold in the winter. No cold water in the morning... some pipes were frozen somewhere. We were able to make do with hot water & filled up the trash can to flush the toilets. I did plenty of research before we went, so none of this came as a surprise or as a disappointment. The rooms are far less expensive than any other rooms in the area. The hotel is run by a non-profit, and they're doing a yeoman's work with a shoestring budget.

If you like adventure, history, art, and a unique experience, AND you know what you are getting into, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank badindexfinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 3, 2010

The Amargosa Hotel is a great place to stay for visits to Death Valley. We spent the night here before moving on to DV the following day, as I imagine most guests do. There is absolutely nothing else near the hotel, which includes a wonderful old opera house and has a fantastic back story that you can read about on their website. The hotel is rundown and has seen better days, but our room and bathroom were very clean - and that's what I care about. I don't care if the tile is broken if it's clean, especially for this price. No phones or tv, but again, this is not where people come to hang out for days - it's a stopover. Skip the "breakfast" and head straight to Marta's Cafe next door for homecooked eggs, burritos and other yummy food prepared by its friendly owner. Take the $5 tour to see the amazing opera house and hear the hotel story.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lisak313
oregon
Reviewed January 1, 2010

The room was a shock immediately. Flipping the light switch turned on four bare bulb ceiling lights in a room lacking TV, clock, phone, and furniture other than a table lamp, a battered chest of drawers and a bed without headboard. Even the smoke alarm was missing - the empty mount was visible on the ceiling. The window was boarded up with an old AC/Heat unit protruding. No hot water at night and frozen pipes in the morning. The hand held nozzle for bathing was broken as were the sink fixtures.

Only positive was the adjacent cafe - good food and good service. Stop to eat but keep moving.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank reggiesc

Travelers are raving about these Death Valley Junction hotels

New Zealand
Reviewed December 27, 2009

A memorable place to stay. Rooms were basic but intriguing - each one we saw had it's own decor and character. Not having televisions in the rooms was great and added to the remoteness of the place. Unbeatable, spooky atmosphere - makes this place one we will never forget - reminded me of the hotel in 'The Shining' (not that I've physically been there). Hosts were very friendly and provided us with good, local information. Their recommendation of a great, little bar on the border of California and Nevada made for a fun night with friendly locals. My only criticism would be the complimentary continental breakfast which was disappointing. However, an unforgettable experience, overall. I'd recommend any friend going to Death Valley to check it out.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank keruru
tulsa
Reviewed December 12, 2009

We recently stayed for 2 nights at the Amargosa Opera House. Overall, the experience was terrible. This is a no-frills hotel – no TV, no clock, no phones. They say they offer a free continental breakfast, but this consists of the cheapest packaged pastries I have ever seen.

This hotel may have had some charm in the past, but the disrepair has certainly overtaken any of that: tile flooring in the bathrooms severely chipped and missing; carpeting threadbare; plumbing in the showers and hallways was visible and rusty; some toilets constantly ran; some sink faucets were dripping. (We have pictures that are loaded to this site.)

On our first morning, we wake at 7am to discover that the water supply had frozen and so we were not able to take a shower, or even flush the toilet! The owners did come in until later, so we had to leave without knowing if we would have water when we came back. Later that evening there was water, but our shower did not work so we had to use the one in the next room. The owners also leave early (between 4 and 5pm), and the front door is left unlocked. Anyone could come in and roam the halls…security was minimal. I called the owners later and asked for some sort of reduction in the room rate. I was told a message would be relayed to “the boss”, who would call me back. I have not yet received a return call.

The only positives I could find were that the mattress appeared to be new, and the water pressure was very strong. Other than that, forget it! If there is a next time that we visit Death Valley National Park, I will try the Stovepipe Wells location instead.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chuimaui
bristol
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We stayed at the Amargosa hotel for just one night. Ok so it may not be the the plushest of places, but Rich (the manager/sheriff) told many storries about the hotel and surrounding area. It's well worth a visit and I bet you will never stay in another hotel with so much history.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Bristol, UK
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We'd been travelling for 9 hours, from Tahoe and down through the Valley for sunset. Rich, the Amargosa's Manager, Town Sherriff, Governor, occasional cafe waitress and who knows, maybe coroner too met us with the greatest warmth and humour, despite us having never been there before. We felt an instant affinity with the place.

We got the pick of what rooms were left - a great King Bed adorned with feathers and the campest silk blue bedspread. 11, I recall. A bathroom with fantastic tiling, original fittings and a roof light. Character you can't buy in the chains or big cities.

Time for a quick meal at the cafe (enough to feed a family on one plate - and embarrassingly cheap). They got a great tip, and deservedly so. Cool staff, great attitude, great food.

We lingered the following day, as others had fled first thing it gave us a chance to sit in the courtyard, wander a little in the baking heat of 10am in DVJ, and to just listen and smell and take it all in.

This place won't suit everyone. It's in the middle of nowhere, no mobile signal, there's no pool, morning coffee was shocking, everything's shut by 8:30. But its history pours from every corner, every angle, every noise, sight, sound. I was blown away. And Rich was one of those people you meet, in the unlikeliest of places, who will just stay with you for good. And that's what life's really about, no?

I will return to Amargosa. I feel I have to.

My advice, bypass the trappings of lodgings in the National Park, and head 20 minutes south to the Amargosa. You can't miss it at your hit the intersection.

And in truth, you really shouldn't miss the chance to experience this place!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
#5 of 5 in Pahrump
Red Bud Lodge
Red Bud Lodge
#1 of 3 in El Portal

Been to Amargosa Opera House and Hotel? Share your experiences!