I have stayed at the hotel on two occasions and am sad to leave each time I go. I discovered Martha online and went out last year to see her glorious creation. I came back again this year and was just as delighted as I was the first time.
You must see the opera house and spend time speaking to the staff. They are a loving and dedicated group of people.
This is not the Ritz Carlton and it's not a gambling/smokehouse. It's a simple place with clean rooms and a staff that will move mountains to help you. There are no TV's and no cell reception m...that is to me, a joy! Here you can escape completely and enjoy the only affordable hotel in death valley.
Don't pass it up, you will love this place if you give it a chance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The complex which houses the Amargosa Hotel, Opera House & Cafe was built in 1923 by the Pacific Coast Borax Co. The town of Death Valley Junction was established in 1907 with the Tidewater Tonopah Railway line, which carried Borax from the area to southern California. By 1940, the last train had run through the area after which the town had several owners. Then, in 1967, while waiting for a tire repair at the gas station, Marta Becket (a dancer from New York City), came upon the old community hall. She said it called to her and said, "I offer you life". After making arrangements with the town manager, Marta and her husband agreed to pay $45/month rent and make the necessary repairs. They began work a few months later after moving permanently to the Junction and Marta had her first performance on February 10, 1968. Later that year, Marta began painting the walls and ceiling of the Opera House, which took her 6 years to complete. Marta performed at her Opera House for nearly 50 yrs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Amargosa Opera House and Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amargosa Opera House Hotel Death Valley Junction
- Amargosa Opera Hotel
- Hotel Amargosa Opera
- Amargosa Opera House And Hotel Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park, CA