“Disgusting”

Amargosa Opera House and Hotel
Reviewed December 3, 2013

If you enjoy spending your vacation at fixer-upper which smells like a dirty public restroom - this place is for you. The furniture in the room would not be accepted even for donation. The curtains left an open space, so it was impossible to undress with the light turned on. The AC didn't work, and we had a heater, which was so noisy that we couldn't have it working at night. The result - it was freezing. No additional blanket. Only 2 hangers. No TV, only one wall outlet, no table, WiFi - only in the lobby, no cell phone service. There is no place to put shaving or washing things.

This place was never renewed outside or inside. The hotel and the café are extremely overpriced. Overall feeling - disgusting.

One thing makes us happy. As a result of the poor management of our booking, in spite of the received confirmation, there was only one night available, and we didn't have to stick there for 3 nights, as was planned.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mila B
There are newer reviews for Amargosa Opera House and Hotel

Reviewed December 2, 2013

A nice little getaway. Planned a trip to Death Valley and had heard about the history of the Amargosa Hotel. Being into the paranormal, i thought, what a perfect place to stop and have a little investigation myself. Awesome! Lots of activity! Staff was friendly, and the room was very clean. The Opera House was spectacular also! The only regret I had, was not seeing Marta perform. She was Ill that day. Next time!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank ORBS_inv
AmargosaOperaHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Amargosa Opera House and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Amargosa Opera House and Hotel, we are so happy to see you enjoyed your stay and look forward to accommodating you again in the future. We regret you were unable to see Marta perform her narrative but hope you had a chance to tour her Opera House while you visited our sleepy little town. Best regards.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

The hotel was deserted when I arrived, an envelope with my name on it taped to the front door with a room key and door access code inside. Arriving in the evening after a day of driving, I was hoping for some food but it seemed the only "local" option is a tacky casino about 7 miles away. I had to drive a few miles further to find a small store where I could buy some snacks. I you want peace and quiet in the middle of nowhere then this is a fine option: and it's a great base for a visit to Death Valley. But it's fairly run-down, with decaying facilities and definitely not suitable for families.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Stuart K
Reviewed October 22, 2013

When we arrived we'd already been charged and found that the cheap rate of $75 was in fact $90 due to room tax (expected) and a service charge of 11%. Who knows what for as service was minimal - the girl who gave us our key didn't normally work there and was heading off home, there is no cafe/restaurant/shop options, and breakfast was dry toast which they ran out of so most guests got nothing.
The nearest food/drink option is 7 miles away at the casino where they also do rooms - stay here instead! Cheap, friendly & looks like a normal motel!
Back to our room : smelt of sewage, had an exterior door (unlocked) straight onto the parking lot, an interior door (onto a smelly corridor) and an adjoining door which when I checked it let me straight in to next doors room. They couldn't access our room as our side had the bolt but that is completely unacceptable either way.
Carpet was grubby, cobwebs in all corners, threadbare towels & paper thin curtains.
The worst place I've stayed in USA. $25 would have been questionable for this place.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19. Maybe others are better?
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GayleUK
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Amazing place, looks like an oasis in desert. I've stayed in Amargosa Opera house & hotel at the end of September 2013 and don't regret. Yes, this old style hotel does not meet some of the modern standards, so be prepared for some inconvenience, like old plumbing, smell in corridor, etc. But it is unique place with atmosphere of the past, pictures on the wall, antique furniture. The room was clean enough. Probably, I could say more if I were in busy season, or at least at weekend. Those for whom high comfort is important, it is preferably to stay in $350 hotel in Death Valley, or a cheaper remote place.

Room Tip: A guy who stayed there before me, said that he had a problem with a toilet, and received another roo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank almaz616
Reviewed August 29, 2013

First of all, you HAVE to visit this park!
If everything else is booked up, like it happened to us, well then tough luck. But make your stay at the Amargosa short, even if it means spending one night here and the following one at a another hotel across the Park. We blew the chance to book our 3rd night at the Stovepipe Wells Hotel and I regret it.
The Amargosa Hotel is not only old and worn out. It's dirty! There was hair in our bed, the carpet is a disaster and the walls and ceiling are covered with a crust of dirt.
OK, I'm not a sensitive person and I'd be willing to give them a pass (especially because of the magnificence of Death Valley) if the food wasn't so bad! Yes, that's where I draw the line. I don't know how the cook manages to make everything bland and greasy (at least statistically he should be able to get something right, right?).
Curiously, there are 60+ 'excellent' reviews for this hotel, some of those gave 5 to cleanliness! Hmm, I wonder...

Room Tip: The best room in this hotel is probably your car.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Wakison
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Amargosa Hotel in the summer of 2011 and we loved it. We travelled across the US on Route 66. After Santa Monica we took a little detour and ended up in the dessert. Prior to departing we booked the room at Amargosa, I thought it would be an amazing experience to stay literally in he middle of nowhere. I love weird, unique hotels, I think there is not enough of them around. We stayed in one of the rooms facing the parking lot. We arrived late, so the key was left for us in the envelope on the door (how cool is that?)... It was so dark out, we could not see past our noses. The room was clean and to be honest you cant expect anything else. If you like 5 star accommodations it isn't a place for you, but for those who are looking for adventure and REAL experience. In the morning we met the person who is running the place now. Unfortunately, we didn't get to meet the owner- Marta, but I am sure she is a wonderful lady if she was able to create and keep a hotel like this, which in a way is a jewel of Death Valley. Once a year, if I am correct, you can attend her performance at the theatre that is located on site of the hotel. You can also enjoy a fulfilling American breakfast at a restaurant that is attached to Amargosa, great food for a great price. I hope this hotel stays around for longer, I would definitely want to come back and stay at this unique place again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Preferred RV Resort
Preferred RV Resort
#4 of 5 in Pahrump
Nevada Treasure RV Resort

Been to Amargosa Opera House and Hotel? Share your experiences!