“Randomness in the Desert” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amargosa Opera House and Hotel

Amargosa Opera House and Hotel
Atwater, California
“Randomness in the Desert”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

A nice little getaway. Planned a trip to Death Valley and had heard about the history of the Amargosa Hotel. Being into the paranormal, i thought, what a perfect place to stop and have a little investigation myself. Awesome! Lots of activity! Staff was friendly, and the room was very clean. The Opera House was spectacular also! The only regret I had, was not seeing Marta perform. She was Ill that day. Next time!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank ORBS_inv
AmargosaOperaHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Amargosa Opera House and Hotel, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Amargosa Opera House and Hotel, we are so happy to see you enjoyed your stay and look forward to accommodating you again in the future. We regret you were unable to see Marta perform her narrative but hope you had a chance to tour her Opera House while you visited our sleepy little town. Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was deserted when I arrived, an envelope with my name on it taped to the front door with a room key and door access code inside. Arriving in the evening after a day of driving, I was hoping for some food but it seemed the only "local" option is a tacky casino about 7 miles away. I had to drive a few miles further to find a small store where I could buy some snacks. I you want peace and quiet in the middle of nowhere then this is a fine option: and it's a great base for a visit to Death Valley. But it's fairly run-down, with decaying facilities and definitely not suitable for families.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Stuart K

Travelers are raving about these Death Valley Junction hotels

UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

When we arrived we'd already been charged and found that the cheap rate of $75 was in fact $90 due to room tax (expected) and a service charge of 11%. Who knows what for as service was minimal - the girl who gave us our key didn't normally work there and was heading off home, there is no cafe/restaurant/shop options, and breakfast was dry toast which they ran out of so most guests got nothing.
The nearest food/drink option is 7 miles away at the casino where they also do rooms - stay here instead! Cheap, friendly & looks like a normal motel!
Back to our room : smelt of sewage, had an exterior door (unlocked) straight onto the parking lot, an interior door (onto a smelly corridor) and an adjoining door which when I checked it let me straight in to next doors room. They couldn't access our room as our side had the bolt but that is completely unacceptable either way.
Carpet was grubby, cobwebs in all corners, threadbare towels & paper thin curtains.
The worst place I've stayed in USA. $25 would have been questionable for this place.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19. Maybe others are better?
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GayleUK
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Amazing place, looks like an oasis in desert. I've stayed in Amargosa Opera house & hotel at the end of September 2013 and don't regret. Yes, this old style hotel does not meet some of the modern standards, so be prepared for some inconvenience, like old plumbing, smell in corridor, etc. But it is unique place with atmosphere of the past, pictures on the wall, antique furniture. The room was clean enough. Probably, I could say more if I were in busy season, or at least at weekend. Those for whom high comfort is important, it is preferably to stay in $350 hotel in Death Valley, or a cheaper remote place.

Room Tip: A guy who stayed there before me, said that he had a problem with a toilet, and received another roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank almaz616
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

First of all, you HAVE to visit this park!
If everything else is booked up, like it happened to us, well then tough luck. But make your stay at the Amargosa short, even if it means spending one night here and the following one at a another hotel across the Park. We blew the chance to book our 3rd night at the Stovepipe Wells Hotel and I regret it.
The Amargosa Hotel is not only old and worn out. It's dirty! There was hair in our bed, the carpet is a disaster and the walls and ceiling are covered with a crust of dirt.
OK, I'm not a sensitive person and I'd be willing to give them a pass (especially because of the magnificence of Death Valley) if the food wasn't so bad! Yes, that's where I draw the line. I don't know how the cook manages to make everything bland and greasy (at least statistically he should be able to get something right, right?).
Curiously, there are 60+ 'excellent' reviews for this hotel, some of those gave 5 to cleanliness! Hmm, I wonder...

Room Tip: The best room in this hotel is probably your car.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Wakison
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Amargosa Hotel in the summer of 2011 and we loved it. We travelled across the US on Route 66. After Santa Monica we took a little detour and ended up in the dessert. Prior to departing we booked the room at Amargosa, I thought it would be an amazing experience to stay literally in he middle of nowhere. I love weird, unique hotels, I think there is not enough of them around. We stayed in one of the rooms facing the parking lot. We arrived late, so the key was left for us in the envelope on the door (how cool is that?)... It was so dark out, we could not see past our noses. The room was clean and to be honest you cant expect anything else. If you like 5 star accommodations it isn't a place for you, but for those who are looking for adventure and REAL experience. In the morning we met the person who is running the place now. Unfortunately, we didn't get to meet the owner- Marta, but I am sure she is a wonderful lady if she was able to create and keep a hotel like this, which in a way is a jewel of Death Valley. Once a year, if I am correct, you can attend her performance at the theatre that is located on site of the hotel. You can also enjoy a fulfilling American breakfast at a restaurant that is attached to Amargosa, great food for a great price. I hope this hotel stays around for longer, I would definitely want to come back and stay at this unique place again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Maria C
Neustadt an der Weinstrasse, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

The envelope you find with your name at the entrance - the staff goes home well before dusk (to avoid the ghosts?) - contains the key to your room and an exact description of the maze: How to find your room through double doors, the ice machine in the kitchen, and a preprogrammed TV set with a selection of videos. The latter and a noisy air condition are actually the only modern equipment available to the guests. As stated on a sheet of paper on the door, the lack of modern equipment shall preserve the original character of the old Western hotel - which it really does (if it were not for the recommended restaurant (and hotel) 7 miles down the road you would honestly get the feeling of the lone ranger sitting in the desert and grilling a racoon over the open fire - there is nothing to eat and to drink in this place). Since you have to go to the Longstreet Inn next door anyway (if you do not have your own racoon and some matches...), why not stay there ... That place is full of life, music, food, and drinks,

Room Tip: Go another 7 miles down the road ...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
#3 of 5 in Pahrump
Red Bud Lodge
Red Bud Lodge
#2 of 3 in El Portal

Been to Amargosa Opera House and Hotel? Share your experiences!