“Such a Treasure in the Desert!”

Amargosa Opera House and Hotel
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were excited to finally stay and the Amargosa Opera House and Hotel! We drove past it before and really wanted to experience it as it is said by some to be haunted....The first night I awoke to hear strange noises of an old woman by the door clearing her throat. Then again by the bathroom, an old man clearing his throat. I know that sounds wierd but if it happened the next night I slept right through it (thank-goodness!) Other than that I enjoyed so much going to the Opera House for a performance by a wonderful man who played the piano and sang. It at first seemed pricy at $15.00 a person, but the show was OUTSTANDING, no kidding! We also want
wanted to see the inside of the Opera House as it is has hand painted (and it is famous).
I gave this entire experience 5*s because it was historical and I love history and I loved this entire experience ghosts and all!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Peacock Room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jezebel25

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We spent last night at this hotel, me (35) husband (36) and little boy (7) Having arrived at 7.45pm tired after a long day travelling throughout the valley it was lovely to be greeted by a very friendly, warm man who was courteous, helpful and informative. We stayed in room 22 which had a circus theme. We chose to stay at this hotel as it was right in Death Valley Junction and wanted to experience a "ghost town" With a population of 4, this truly was just the adventure we were looking for. Yes the hotel is a little worn, yes occasionally there is a smell of the sewers and yes there is dust! However, you are in the middle of the desert! It is over 100 degrees and there is plenty of sand! The rooms are basic, there are no televisions, there is no mobile signal but again, you are in a desert...if its mod cons you are looking for, get yourself down to Vegas! The beds were comfortable, the sheets were clean and the cafe served the best breakfast we've had on our trip...lovely guy in the cafe too. If its a true experience of a ghost town within Death Valley then you'd do far worse than stay here, these people are earning their living making the very best of the facilities they have. There was a film crew there as we arrived, they'd been filming there all day...again, no movie director/actors are going to go somewhere that doesn't fit the bill. A friendlier place you couldn't wish for, we loved the experience and would stay again should we be heading out that way.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank The D
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I met my friend here for a one night stay. I was early and waited in the lobby for several hours so could observe the considerable goings-on at the hotel. The one upside was the staff who built a nice fire as it was unseasonably cold out...very thoughtful. The downside: absolutely everything else. Tragically run down, dirty, dusty, stinky, no food service after advising there would be, no cold water for a shower, the list goes on. We did drive 7 miles to the nearest restaurant which turned out to be in a casino and the food wasn't half bad. You could call the stay an adventure but will find mine elsewhere next visit to DV, thanks.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We booked two months in advance to stay at this hotel for one night, when we arrived we were told by the proprieter that he had gave our rooms to a wedding party and that we could go seven miles further down the valley and stay at a casino in nevada. at first we were pretty cheesed off (and thats putting it mildly ). Before we left we decided to take a look around the place, this place is a slum, Prisoners in awful prisons have better rooms than this dump, it was the dirtiest smelliest hotel I have ever visited. We were very lucky that this guy gave our rooms away and had a lucky escape. Avoid this place like the plague, of course you dont have to take my advice, you could always go there and see it for yourself, but you would be truly dissapointed and wish you had'nt wasted your time and fuel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank poolyp
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I'm all for charming and run down but filthy, no sir.

When we arrived I couldn't find anyone but a walk down the hall with all doors open presumably because rooms were being "cleaned" showed ratty stained mattresses, thin old stained pillows, cracked walls, boarded up windows and more of the ancient uneven carpet from the hall. When we were shown to a clean room, there was gravel and sand all over the floor. I was pretty sure we'd get TB or fleas if we stayed so we opted to drive 6 hours home instead.

It's clear the owners don't care at all about the upkeep of the place and are just milking every last cent they can. The room we paid for but did not stay in cost us $90 while the lovely clean posh room from the night before in Vegas was $75. They ought to be ashamed. The place could be a real gem if someone with heart had it.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HeidiinItaly
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Despite some negative reviews, my girlfriend and I decided to brave the 'horrors' of the Amargosa. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot of the hotel, we knew that we were in love. The hallway is filled with portraits on its walls and the rooms are charming with painted-on headboards above comfortable beds. It's almost impossible to get cellphone service there with AT&T--which we felt was a blessing. There are no TVs in the rooms for maximum relaxation. You'll find chairs and tables outside of rooms to help you enjoy your complimentary morning coffee from the cafe. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I just can't believe people found something good to say about that place. The place is a ruin, the owners have not invested one cent in the last 50 years at renovating the place. I got there after a long day of driving and I could not believe how bad it was smelling, it was just gross. They carpets have not been cleaned for years, the place is ugly, so on so forth. There is nothing that justify the price of $85, this is completely ridiculous.

The only thing I must admit the sheets were not dirty, but next time I will drive an extra 15 miles to Furnace Creek, I will pay twice as much but I will have a descent place to sleep over.

Don't go, stay away from Amargosa Opera House, it is not worth $25 a night!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Preferred RV Resort
#4 of 6 in Pahrump
Pahrump RV Park & Lodging
Nevada Treasure RV Resort

Been to Amargosa Opera House and Hotel? Share your experiences!