We were excited to finally stay and the Amargosa Opera House and Hotel! We drove past it before and really wanted to experience it as it is said by some to be haunted....The first night I awoke to hear strange noises of an old woman by the door clearing her throat. Then again by the bathroom, an old man clearing his throat. I know that sounds wierd but if it happened the next night I slept right through it (thank-goodness!) Other than that I enjoyed so much going to the Opera House for a performance by a wonderful man who played the piano and sang. It at first seemed pricy at $15.00 a person, but the show was OUTSTANDING, no kidding! We also want
wanted to see the inside of the Opera House as it is has hand painted (and it is famous).
I gave this entire experience 5*s because it was historical and I love history and I loved this entire experience ghosts and all!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The complex which houses the Amargosa Hotel, Opera House & Cafe was built in 1923 by the Pacific Coast Borax Co. The town of Death Valley Junction was established in 1907 with the Tidewater Tonopah Railway line, which carried Borax from the area to southern California. By 1940, the last train had run through the area after which the town had several owners. Then, in 1967, while waiting for a tire repair at the gas station, Marta Becket (a dancer from New York City), came upon the old community hall. She said it called to her and said, "I offer you life". After making arrangements with the town manager, Marta and her husband agreed to pay $45/month rent and make the necessary repairs. They began work a few months later after moving permanently to the Junction and Marta had her first performance on February 10, 1968. Later that year, Marta began painting the walls and ceiling of the Opera House, which took her 6 years to complete. Marta performed at her Opera House for nearly 50 yrs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Amargosa Opera House and Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amargosa Opera House Hotel Death Valley Junction
- Amargosa Opera Hotel
- Hotel Amargosa Opera
- Amargosa Opera House And Hotel Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park, CA