We booked two months in advance to stay at this hotel for one night, when we arrived we were told by the proprieter that he had gave our rooms to a wedding party and that we could go seven miles further down the valley and stay at a casino in nevada. at first we were pretty cheesed off (and thats putting it mildly ). Before we left we decided to take a look around the place, this place is a slum, Prisoners in awful prisons have better rooms than this dump, it was the dirtiest smelliest hotel I have ever visited. We were very lucky that this guy gave our rooms away and had a lucky escape. Avoid this place like the plague, of course you dont have to take my advice, you could always go there and see it for yourself, but you would be truly dissapointed and wish you had'nt wasted your time and fuel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The complex which houses the Amargosa Hotel, Opera House & Cafe was built in 1923 by the Pacific Coast Borax Co. The town of Death Valley Junction was established in 1907 with the Tidewater Tonopah Railway line, which carried Borax from the area to southern California. By 1940, the last train had run through the area after which the town had several owners. Then, in 1967, while waiting for a tire repair at the gas station, Marta Becket (a dancer from New York City), came upon the old community hall. She said it called to her and said, "I offer you life". After making arrangements with the town manager, Marta and her husband agreed to pay $45/month rent and make the necessary repairs. They began work a few months later after moving permanently to the Junction and Marta had her first performance on February 10, 1968. Later that year, Marta began painting the walls and ceiling of the Opera House, which took her 6 years to complete. Marta performed at her Opera House for nearly 50 yrs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Amargosa Opera House and Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amargosa Opera House Hotel Death Valley Junction
- Amargosa Opera Hotel
- Hotel Amargosa Opera
- Amargosa Opera House And Hotel Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park, CA