“Rough Road, Nice Color, Small Ghost Town”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Titus Canyon

Titus Canyon
More attraction details
Owner description: Perhaps the most memorable thing about this Death Valley canyon is the trip you'll take to it.
Ohio
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 218 helpful votes
“Rough Road, Nice Color, Small Ghost Town”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We rented a Farabee Jeep, near the Furnace Creek Inn, and started our journey by leaving the park on a paved road and entering back in on a dirt road before Beatty. It's a relatively flat road at first, with lots o' washboarding. Rather rattles the bones if you're not used to dirt roads.

When you start going downhill, you start seeing more color. The best area is just before Red Pass. Next up is Leadfield. It's a ghost town of about three metal buildings and a mine that you can see into, but cannot enter. I think next time we'll check out Rhyolite.

Near the end, the rock walls get higher and the road, narrower. I believe this is the actual Titus Canyon, not everything previous. Watch out for hikers as you go around the curves. The last leg is a two way road, emptying into a parking lot (with a bathroom) and then back to the paved road inside Death Valley National Park.

Some of the people posting here say you don't need to go to Farabee--any SUV will do. I can agree with that, but question whether or not you want to take your SUV through it. I wouldn't recommend a car, yours or a rental. It's a rough and dusty road inside this national park of little rain. Plan ahead and take lots of water if it's hot.

The trip takes about 2-2.5 hours. I'm glad we did it, but don't think I need to traverse it twice. So many other sites to see in Death Valley.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank NPS_Tumbleweeds

• Polish first
Jackson, Wyoming
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Take it slow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

What a beautiful drive. I drove my Subaru through this canyon with no problems but took it very slow. No need to hurry because it is all too beautiful. We stopped many times for photography and just enjoyed the day. From the entrance of the dirt road to the other end was about 4 hours with our stops. Be sure to take some food and plenty of water on any outing you go on in this park. You are truly out in the wilderness in this park when you are on these drives.

San Diego, California
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Don't try hiking from west end”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Didn't have time to do the drive, so we went to the west end to hike. Did not go into Titus Canyon because did not want to deal with all the dust that is kicked up by the vehicles going through (it is narrow canyon). So, we did the hike on the nearby unnamed hiking trail. It led to Falls Canyon. We went about 1-1.5 miles before turning around. Unremarkable. When you finally get into the canyon (after about 20-30 minute walk), it's a very wide canyon and not that interesting if you have already been in a canyon before. We did not make it to the end where there are supposed to be dryfalls.

Palo Alto, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Worth the drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

* At first, looking at the dirt road, I feel like giving it a miss. Thank God, I made it. It's worth the visit. In fact, I find it better than Golden canyon and Mosaic canyon

* The road are winding. My children really enjoy the view

* I stayed at Beatty area because it is only 9 miles to reach the entrace of the road that is only one way direction

* Be prepared that your car will get very dusty.

* Stopby a few vista points to enjoy the view and take pictures.

* You will end at a parking area that has 2-way short driving range. Park here and observe the rocks. They are very unique and beautiful where I didn't see in other attractions in Death Valley

San Francisco, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“bumpy ride, worth the drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you have a four wheel drive take the 2-3 hour drive through the canyon. Views are amazing although the goast town isn't much to see.