“High price / poor experience”

Courtyard Bradenton Sarasota/Riverfront
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Bradenton
Suwanee, Georgia
“High price / poor experience”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night and paid $217. (after a discount) for a room with a kingsize bed and little else. No free breakfast. When we exited the elevator on the 4th floor there was a very strong odor (mold or mildew?) and it later was noticeable in the room. At 7:00am I was rudely awakened by the bedside alarm clock. Then shortly after I got back to sleep a train whistle was blasting outside our window. I gave up on sleeping at that point.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pkldpchs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Stoup
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

The Marriott Corp. has done a great job turning this property into a typical Courtyard. I have stayed at many so this is not a negative statement. They are consistent and this property is no exception. It is good for the business traveler or a business convention. The location is marginal with a slight view of the Manatee River. The actual courtyard is really nice with a large pool. The food service in this hotel is better than most however it has the same menu but the cooks must add their own little twist. The rooms and beds are comfortable and the staff helpful. If your coming to this hotel thinking it is a resort, it's not. It is a good hotel for a business traveler. FYI, I think the Pirates stay here during spring training.

• Stayed March 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Good beds! And quiet! About $160 per night and not "suites at all. But a very nice facility and pool. Starbucks coffee and proximity to Pirates and Oriole's spring training. River walk is an up and coming area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cliffhallusa
Bloomington, IN
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Building look impressive from outside, but inside was another story. Checked in and was asked "is a ground floor room, ok"? I said that I would prefer another room on a higher level, but then got "this is all we have". If the ground floor was all they had, why did they even ask? I then asked, "do all the rooms have a balcony"? Yes was the answer. Got the key, walked down the first floor hallway dodging laudry carts and tattered carpet and went first to a room that was a king when I requested two beds. OK, go back and then asked again to another person "do you have any double rooms on a higher floor"? No was the answer. So now went down the dirty hallway again to a double room and went inside - no balcony - not even a window to open. Faced a parking lot. Room was downright ugly. For $170 per night without breakfast, I guess I expected more. We went back down to the front desk and checked out. Oh - and now they have rooms on a higher floor. Found a Hampton Inn nearby that cost $50 dollars less per night for a better room, had an awesome free breakfast and had friendly helpful staff. I'm a Marriott gold member and this was the poorest I've ever seen.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Oolitic_Shoals
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Great Hotel. Right on the waterfront, which is a nice walk. Rooms are good with a "balcony", which is a window that you can lean out - still nice. Unfortunately my "view" was of construction next door.
The restaurant had good food. Gym was better than most Courtyards.
Note - Less than 1/4 mile away are railroad tracks. I did not think trains were coming through, but they do at night. And they love to lay on their horns. Make sure if your room faces the tracks (like mne) that you bring ear plugs and do not leave the window open at night. I have been to other hotels that leave earplugs for you, which is a sign to use them. This one didn't, but I bring my own anyway.

Room Tip: Get one that does not face the tracks
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bstrvl55711
Bellingham WA
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights and liked our stay so much that we returned for two more nights a few days later before we left for home.. The hotel has two types of rooms: one which is a typically sized hotel room and the other, called a "larger room", which is two rooms--a bedroom and a large sitting room. All the rooms have standing, not sitting, balconies with sliding glass doors. We were in the larger room and found it perfect for us. The larger rooms have direct sun only in the morning. We kept our sliding glass door open all the time for great fresh air. The views on that side are of the courtyard which has beautiful mature trees--palms and others--and a fountain. From the rooms ending in the lower numbers you can hear the fountain and the wind blowing the trees. We found it delightful. the higher ending numbers have more clear views of the pool and at the higher floors, the water.. Even those are quiet and nice as they don't play loud music as so many hotels feel obliged to do at their pools. There is a little traffic noise from the bridge a couple of blocks away, but we didn't find it bothersome at all especially when you could listen to the trees and the fountain. The larger rooms have refrigerators at a counter in the sitting room. I don't know if the regular rooms do.

The sitting room has a sofa, coffee table, two end tables, two hassocks, tv. and a large bureau with lots of storage. There is still a lot of room left over. It was very spacious. The rooms were clean and the housekeeping consistent.

The location along the riverwalk is so nice. We walked to dinner sometimes.

One thing that made this place stand out was the availability of staff who were friendly and helpful. They were genuinely friendly--not the textbook question/answer phony stuff--even the maintenance staff. During busy times, extra staff was out from behind the check-in counter helping arrivals and providing information.

The bistro staff was eager and on the ball. The kitchen was the only area where I think they could impove: sometimes the food was perfectly prepared and other times not so perfectly done.

We are already talking about another stay here next year. One last comment about the area. We went to an Italian restaurant called Ortygia which was about 3 miles or less from the hotel. It is not a pizza and spaghetti place, but really delicious Sicilian concoctions that please the eye and the palate. It is in the "artist village" area and an unlikely place for a restaurant, but we were glad we went there. Their menu is available on line. When we are here next time, this will be the first restaurant we go to.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ontheroad4now
Southern California
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I usually don't start with the last thing first. But in this review of the Courtyard Bradenton/Sarasota Riverfront, I feel compelled to. Why? Because when you check out of a hotel, the clerk rarely fails to ask "Did you enjoy your stay?" Alas, I was not asked this.
Had she asked, I might've mentioned that the view from our room was obstructed at best. The overhang above the entrance took up much of the window. I might've also pointed out that the room was pretty small, but liveable for one night. I might've mentioned that they lacked MSNBC on the hotel TV system, despite having many other channels. I might've also mentioned that there was no luggage rack in the room, forcing us to play musical suitcases when we wanted to sit somewhere. Oh yeah, I might've also mentioned that my Marriott Elite status was never mentioned.
I also might've mentioned the nice pool, and the gorgeous location next to the Riverwalk. I also might've mentioned the Courtyard's convenience to downtown Bradenton and the fact that it's one of the closest chain hotels to the area's beaches.
So, that's what I might've told our check-out clerk, had I been asked.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradenton
Hampton Inn & Suites Bradenton Downtown Historic District
Best Western Plus Bradenton Gateway Hotel
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bradenton at I-75
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradenton West
Best Western Plus Bradenton Hotel & Suites
Anna Maria Island Dream Inn
Anna Maria Island Dream Inn
#11 of 12 in Bradenton Beach

Been to Courtyard Bradenton Sarasota/Riverfront? Share your experiences!