“Great Hotel - Short Drive to Area Beaches!”

Courtyard Bradenton Sarasota/Riverfront
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Bradenton
Cape Coral, FL
“Great Hotel - Short Drive to Area Beaches!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My familly and I stayed at this Courtyard Marriott for a reasonable price and enjoyed the area. The rooms were large and very clean. It also very accessible to the area beaches. The pool and spa were well maintained. The hotel staff was very attentive. Salvatore at the front desk was particulary helpful. There are a number of great restaurants within a short drive. Parking was free which is also a plus.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool, facing the river are great!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeannien604

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Manhattan, Illinois
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights prior to checking in to a condo on Anna Maria Island, based on a recommendation from our son. The hotel was in a quiet, off the street location. Free parking was ample. The lobby was inviting, pleasant to the eye, and well designed with distinct areas. One area had comfortable chairs and could be used for waiting or hanging out. Another area of the lobby was a mini media room, with a large tv and seating for a handful or so people. The Starbucks eating/lounge area was large enough for its purpose, but rather typical. A staff member led guests to check in desks--no long counter here. Also in the lobby were two public computer work areas, complete with computers for any quick look up needs. A large "go-board" computer between the elevators and check in desks was great for an at a glance update on weather, restaurants, attractions, and so forth. The pool/hot tub area was beautiful, with access through a side door of the lobby. The room itself was comfortable enough. A roll out table/desk came in very handy, as did our fridge. The fully enclosed bathroom was well lit and maintained, coming with a soft close toilet seat, which we were surprised to see away from home. We could see the Manatee River from our balcony--but the balcony was too small to even stand on. Construction on the riverwalk was ongoing, a pity. We were still able to easily walk to the Florida Museum, a few blocks away, and access the downtown area and waterfront by foot. This we took advantage of. We did have a quick bite and drink from the Starbucks area one evening. Food was okay, priced in line with usual Starbucks offerings. There was a seafood restaurant in the building behind the hotel, but we did not have a chance to check it out.

Room Tip: Ask for the "realize Bradenton" discount. Was better than some of the others we qualified...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lehigh Acres, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Note: I initially stayed here in 3-days ending April 2, 2012. Spring Break occurred that week so I encountered many families with kids. I wrote the first review before checking out. My last day altered my opinion enough to go thru the TripAdvisor editing process and drop my rating. My reasons are at the end of this review. I see a July review that also says construction is still underway. The following was my initial assessment while still a guest there.

Waterfront construction is still underway. My just-updated GPS asked me to make a left onto a wrong-way street while departing the motel; probably another consequence of the construction. The approach from the north (St Pete) is correct and very easy to follow.

I was surprised to see this property was formerly a Holiday Inn. I normally use the Marriot hotel brand, so this is my first “Courtyard” visit. I am assuming that my Marriott Rewards “Elite” program “Silver” status did not affect the room received or service provided except the week day free paper noy at your door but in the lobby. This “Courtyard” seems every bit as comfortable as the full-scale Marriott hotel.

I made my online reservation the same day and checked in just after 3PM. I was greeted by a general manager who handled my check-in. I have never had a registration desk person personally walk me thru the first floor amenities and demonstrate the Marriot large screen online system operated like a ‘Smart phone’ with finger actions. He saw me the next day. Greeted me by name and asked how my stay was. I candidly replied the pool was noisy even after closing at 11PM. He immediately called his security staff, demanding they check the pool area more frequently. I cannot blame this hotel for the unattended screaming kids, sometimes running the hall late at night on my floor and the sole floor above me. BTW, it is now “spring break” so families with kids are on vacation. My last negative is a flaky elevator that randomly takes me to the 5th floor even when I (once also a hotel staffer) pressed 4!

I’d be rich if I were a realtor / rental agent simply by answering my phone. I am here looking for a new home and concluded I should stay longer to actually see the listed properties. Again, the front desk staff understood ‘stuff happens’. They agreeably complied with my request that they match an online Marriott Rewards weekend rate. The result is that my full weekend cost is equal to my one-Friday night cost. There now is some bay-side weekend fest this weekend that the staff alerted me to after I asked on my way in from the parking lot where the kicking music was. Way cool!

I read some TravelAdvisor.com reviews for here complaining of difficulties with cancelations. The reservation cancelation policy at this location is quite clear. As with any hotel/ motel, you are responsible to notify by a time certain. Miss the deadline and expect to pay. Yep, just like a gas pump or restaurant, a temporary "hold" may go onto your card account if not a 'chain frequent stayer'. The bank, not the hotel controls that action. I have fired a few banks for that and grossly greedy fees.

I also agree that the bay side location is perfect. It is not on the nearby Gulf. The food is a bistro only, with "Starbucks"® branded coffee. At least the food is good and available over a reasonable time. The in-room coffee is great too. There are at least 4 nearby restaurants that specialize in either seafood, steaks or Italian. I do not believe there is a bar here, given its apparent ‘family’ orientation. Unlike my stay of last week in St. Pete, you will not find hookers and dealers on the front street. YEAH!!!

The bath is small but adequate with good quality towels, soaps, shampoos etc. The toilet seat seems to have a hydraulic device to stop slamming, way cool!!! The bed and feather pillows are ‘to die for’, well don’t. I managed an unusual 8 hours of sleep. The king bed suite is dark in the suite area but good for TV and adequate side lights for reading. The room is very large yet its sole air conditioner is at the bed end only; but seems effective unless you are next to it with your PC. The fridge is awkward to open and flimsy but cools well. Both “Sharp” flat screens are smallish with what seems to be the typical cable-quality fuzzy picture.

I discovered two more unique and nice features here in addition to the throne seat. The bedroom dresser includes a full table that rolls out for use as a PC desk. (The wireless internet is typical with 4.4 Mbps down / .69 Mbps up. Remember to go online to ensure you are registered for usage (free). It seemed slow to require that registration.). The second ‘that is nice’ feature is the switch on every lamp. The entry door switch actually turns on a light. More interesting, each lamp has an O/I button on its base, not the hard-to-find rotate switch by the lamp or dangling somewhere on the power chord.

My main-highway-facing balcony also faces a pool, hot tub and fountain. I am not hearing traffic. After 11PM, the pool quiets enough that the fountain is pleasant to hear. A pair of birds are nesting feet away so an up-close look at nature. The bay side may be preferable if you are OK with a smaller room.

Overall, this a pleasant place to stay in a very nice city. I am a retired international consultant so I long ago lost count of my number of hotel stays. I still have difficulty agreeing with others that any ‘motel’ over $100/ night is a ‘good value’, especially on my dime. I have said this in my other reviews. The price should set your expectations. This does not disappoint.

Edits: I wrote the above before checking out. My habit over my three day stay was to park my car due south of the entrance in a corner by the grass ‘bumper strip’ that isolates the property from an apartment complex. On check-out morning, I saw distinctive white residue on my black car typical of hard well water. The front desk acknowledged that it probably came from their sprinkler system and that they did not warn their customers of the consequence. They did not offer to reimburse me for a car wash they suggested as a resolution. (The nearby Blue Dolphin car wash confirmed the stains as from well water that their drive thru wash would not remove. A $43 hand wash and wax did.)

Do not expect a free breakfast. The area has several resturants.

The business office PCs will not allow your use of a thumb drive.

I comment above that I extended my stay based upon a Marriott Rewards special weekend offer. At checkout time, my bill did not reflect that rate reduction for both nights. Eventually, the bill was adjusted for their error. My best advice for travelers from my 2012 3-week road trip is to check your rate on check-in and check-out. I encountered this problem frequently.

Room Tip: If VERY sensitive to noise, request top floor and bayside. Quests do not necessarily comply with the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bertram28
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is not your typical Courtyard Marriott design so I suspect that this was converted from another hotel brand. The remodel on the lobby and bistro area is outstanding and very comfortable and the hotel grounds were clean and well maintained. Upon prompt check in I was provided a suite that was nice but somowhat dated. The price per night was typical of the Courtyard Brand. The hotel is located along the river with convenient access to doing business in Bradenton. If future travels brought me to the Bradenton are I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Well furnished, comfortable, and well lit room, "balcony" was about 1 foot wide by 5 ft long so you technically can stand on it. Only mirror in the whole room was in the bathroom. Nice work station in room. Sheets were stained and when I inquired they apologized and brought a pile of sheets up. Nice lobby and property, has pool, hot tub and little food/drink area I didn't look into. Staff friendly and helpful. Tricky to get to.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, Connecticut
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I travel frequently to the Bradenton area on business and usually stay an entire work week. This hotel has become my first choice. The only reason I do not stay here is price. It seems to fluctuate. Last week, it was quite reasonable (perhaps even a little less than I would expect to pay); other times it is quite a bit more than I can justify on an expense report. When the rate bounces upward, I find another place to stay.

As for the hotel itself, it is in a very good and scenic location on the Manatee River. The boardwalk by the river is currently undergoing renovation and not accessible to pedestrians, but this is not normally the case. Several restaurants are within a short driving distance and some within comfortable walking distance. The hotel staff is very friendly. Since I have stayed here many times, I am often recognized and welcomed back. They usually upgrade my room to a suite. The hotel has a Starbucks in the lobby, which is quite handy in the morning. The exercise room is small but functional with primarily cardio equipment, but also has a combination weight machine and dumbells.

I have visited Bradenton several times in the last year, and this hotel is my first choice. I just stayed here in June 2012, and I expect to return again in the near future. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a hotel with friendly staff in a nice area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Greg A
Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This hotel is a great value for your money. We had two rooms facing the Manatee River. The hotel was not crowded and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The food at the on-site deli is good. The room is a little dated but acceptable. The friendliness of the staff made this hotel special. They have a very nice pool which we basically had to ourselves.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank m_kercher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradenton
Hampton Inn & Suites Bradenton Downtown Historic District
#3 of 12 in Bradenton Beach
Anna Maria Island Dream Inn
Anna Maria Island Dream Inn
#11 of 12 in Bradenton Beach

Been to Courtyard Bradenton Sarasota/Riverfront? Share your experiences!