“Best Hot Wings outside of Buffalo”
Review of Casa di Pizza

Casa di Pizza
Ranked #63 of 504 Restaurants in Bradenton
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Tampa, Florida
“Best Hot Wings outside of Buffalo”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The first time I walked into Casa di Pizza, I saw loads of Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres stuff all over the walls. I thought to myself, "This place must have good wings". And they do.

Contrary to what you might think, making proper hot wings is actually a rather simple process, and restaurants all over the country screw it up on a daily basis. Here are the mistakes restaurants make and how to fix it.
1) Using "jumbo" wings. The bigger the wing, the worse the wing. Simple little equation. Smaller wings cook better and the meat and skin blend into one consistent bite. Bigger wings are less cooked inside and the skin tends to be thinker and gross. Casa uses the correct wings, the little ones.
2) Not cooking them long enough. In the interest of pleasing the customer with faster food, restaurants will fry the wings for 12 minutes or less, which ends up with undercooked, soggy flesh. Yuck. Casa cooks their wings for the correct length of time.
3) Adding things to the sauce. Restaurants like to get cute and come up with their own proprietary sauces by adding all sorts of unnecessary ingredients. The classic (and best) sauce recipe has two ingredients: Frank's hot sauce and butter. That's it. The more Frank's, the hotter the wing. The more butter, the more mild. If you want to make super spicy wings, you can add a hotter sauce on top of the Franks, but please no ketchup, pepper, Worcestershire, etc, etc, etc.
4) Serving the wings floating in a pool of sauce. I've seen lots of ideas for serving wings that haven't worked. What ends up happening is the customer likes lots of sauce but more sauce means soggier wings. Casa has the most creative idea I've ever seen. They serve their wings on the top of a half-crumpled piece of foil, so the wings are raised away from the sauce and thus stay crispy. Ingenious.

Casa doesn't just make "hot" wings. They also have a wide selection of other sauces with their own preparations. Try the barbecue ones that are fried, sauced, and then grilled over an open flame. Outstanding.

On the down side, the pizza here is just okay. It's square and kind of thick, which isn't our thing. But winglovers all over the country visiting Bradenton/Sarasota should definitely check out Casa.

• Visited October 2013

Bradenton, Florida, United States
“Smallest wings ever seen”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Ordered 50 hot wings from the University Park location. We have always received great wings there. Well, what a surprise to get home and find 80% of the wings were basically fried bones. They were not only small, but very dry. Don't waste your money on wings from this restaurant. I won't go back.

• Visited October 2013
Parrish, Florida
“Um, no.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We ordered take out/delivery pizza and Caesar salad and some garlic mozzarella sticks. The romaine lettuce was brown and inedible, that's just wrong. The pizza is a very thick dough which reminded us of Domino's Pizza, not good at all. The only thing we enjoyed were the garlicky cheesy sticks. We won't go back.

• Visited July 2013
Palmetto
“Very poor customer service”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Two of my colleagues and I ordered food for delivery. Upon arrival we were EACH charged a $3.00 service charge for the ONE delivery! Then the delivery driver did not have change to break a $20.00. One of my colleagues found a bug in her lettuce/tomato & called to inform the restaurant. The person who took the call was extremely rude and condescending to both the one who found the bug and our registration person who answers the phone. We have spent quite a bit of money with this restaurant as we order at work regularly. We will no longer be ordering from there after this experience.

• Visited May 2013
Florida
“I Crave Buffalo Wings”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

As a Buffalo, NY native and a frequent guest of the original Casi di Pizza, I was beyond thrilled when I realized there was one located in Florida. Even though they are about an hour away it is more then worth the drive. Everything is done as perfectly as the 716 location. I wish they were closer or had more locations but that just hopeful wishing. Love this place!

• Visited February 2013