“Favorite Breakfast in Bradenton”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sage Biscuit Cafe

Sage Biscuit Cafe
Ranked #1 of 499 Restaurants in Bradenton
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Breakfast and Lunch Cafe specializing in fresh homemade foods. We cater to a wide variety of tastes and dietary needs. Unique vegan and vegetarian options are available! Our signature dishes include a variety of eggs benedicts, breakfast skillets, and our awesome sage biscuits with sausage gravy! Try one of our tasty sandwiches on our fresh baked bread!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Favorite Breakfast in Bradenton”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We discovered this strip mall gem and kept going back! During our 6-day stay, we had breakfast at the Sage Biscuit Cafe three mornings, and it wasn't even close to where we were staying. The food and service were top notch. The coffee is good. My favorite was the Mediterranean omelet but I also enjoyed the homemade corned beef hash.

One of the mornings we were there, I noticed the floor was slippery. At first I thought I had something on my shoe that I brought in. Then we realized that it was condensation from the humid weather. Extra rugs were put down, but a server did fall with an order. In such conditions, perhaps the AC should have been turned on to make the footing safer for patrons and employees alike. We went back the next day, the humidity was down, and there was no slipperiness.

“Found It!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I have been trying different restaurants for breakfast to replace one we had been going to for a couple of years. It had become dirty and the food quality declined so it was time to move on. There are many places that serve breakfast in the Bradenton area and we tried most of them. Some were too noisy, some had terrible food or service, others weren't clean and some just had boring menus. We wanted a place that had home cooking, with someone who knows how to cook, decent portions for the price, a calm atmosphere (unlike the Cracker Barrel), a place where I don't have to wipe down the table to get it clean enought to sit at and hopefully a health code approved kitchen (there is a restuarant in the area who's kitchen I have been in and I won't go back).

And then we found the Sage Biscuit Cafe. I almost hesitate to post this review for fear it will generate too much business! Our first visit was on Easter Sunday at 9 AM, and we only had to wait a few minutes to get an inside 2-top table. It's a small facility with a counter that faces the open kitchen, along with a few booths, some family size tables and a number of two person tables. It has a cozy decor that isn't over done. It is hard to see from Cortez Road because it is at the back of the strip mall that Anna Maria Oyster Bar also occupies.

With robust coffee, cheerful and efficient servers, and excellent food, we have found our Sunday morning breakfast place. My husband ordered the Eggs Benedict and gave it his seal of approval. The sauce was creamy and had just the right amount of lemon flavor, the eggs were poached to perfection (many places don't do well with poached eggs), and the usual Canadian Bacon was replaced with a large, thick slice of ham. This was all on top of a savory sage biscuit. He hardly talked while eating. I ordered the corned beef hash and it too was outstanding. Definately home made, the meat and veggies were finely chopped and had a noticeable herb flavoring. It was a bit heavy on the red and green bell peppers, but that just my opinion. And the accompaning sage biscuit was so good. Of course other breads are available, but once you try the buscuit, you will be sold. I did enjoy the choice of orange marmalade in the jelly packets and the butter served in a small ramakin instead of having to peel it out of little wrappers. And in honor of the holiday, each plate had a chick PEEP sitting on a slice of orange.

Prices were consistant with other good restaurants in the area, like First Watch. There were specials that morning that sounded very interesting (pastrami hash or waffle covered in fruit and yogurt). There are plenty of parking spaces in the morning since it's the only business open then. Hopefully the Sage Biscuit will stay it's course and keep us as their customers.

Pentwater, Michigan
“Wonderful breakfasts, great value, highly recommend”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

First time for the five of us today. The restaurant was quite busy because it was a rainy day but we had a table right away and our server was prompt to take and serve our beverage orders.

The food took a little while although I didn't time it, maybe 10-15 minutes. I had the delicious veggie hash. The eggs were cooked exactly as I ordered. And there was a nice fresh fruit cup on the side.
Others ordered omelettes, biscuits and sausage gravy, and corned beef hash. All orders were steaming hot and we were all pleased. We'll definitely go back.

There were plenty of outside tables as well. To be honest I don't remember much about the atmosphere - impression is clean, pleasant and business-like.

Definitely recommend for breakfast. Will try for lunch.

• Visited April 2013
Bradenton, Florida
“Great food but don't sit outside if you are in a hurry”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The food here is top notch! The variety is amazing for a breakfast/lunch/brunch place in Bradenton. In addition to the usual offerings there are many eclectic choices such as samosas, heart healthy burrito, and fried green tomato grilled cheese sandwich. WARNING: On our most recent visit a friend and I both made the mistake of ordering bloody marys. This place doesn't have a full liquor license so they were made with wine (which we didn't realize until it was too late). They weren't at all what we had expected and neither of us could drink them. Fortunately they took them off of our bill without any dispute. The food has been great on each of my 3 visits and this is definitely my favorite brunch place in the area. On each visit we have sat outside because there has been a wait for an inside table. Each time the service outside has been really sloooooow! We've noticed people who got there after us & waited for a seat inside still finished and left before us. That's fine if you want a very leisurely meal experience but definitely a drawback if you have a busy day ahead. Overall though this is a welcome addition and refreshing change for the area.

Bradenton, Florida
“Fair service, Inexcusable management, Good cook”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

It all began on a windy but beautiful Sunday. A trip to the Sage Biscuit seemed to be just the thing. I work across the street and my co-workers often order take out. I have heard their tales of bad service but the food looks good, ok they are about 50 % on getting the order correct but I just thought that was due to the whole carry out thing. We arrived at 11 AM it was busy but usual for a Sunday during tourist season. We were told 30 min and there were 8 parties in front of us. At 11:30 we I inquired about the wait and was told there were 8 parties in front of us. Odd because 3 of the 6 or so outside tables were empty, I told them we (party of 4) could sit outside if that helped. My daughter noticed that parties that arrived after us were being seated inside and we went to check again, 10 minutes later we were seated at a “clean” table. When we sat down there was food on the table and my daughter’s side was sticky from syrup. We pointed this out to the waitress seating us (she was not our waitress). The bus person came to “clean” shortly after and it was apparent as to why the table was a mess, he barely made contact with the table with his rag, and left. This may have been for the better as the area he did “clean” remained sticky. We sat for 10 minutes or so and the waitress who seated us noticed we had not been waited on and came to take our drink orders, while explaining that she was not our waitress. We waited and she took and served drink orders for the tables around us. She took note of this and explained that ours were “on the way”. 8-10 minutes later the drinks arrived 75 % correct (well 3 outta 4 ain’t bad). We explained what we wanted and her response began rather badly for a first impression “I didn’t take the order I’m just doing what I was told”. We decided to order food right away because while we were waiting we overheard that “one of the cooks just walked out”. After ordering a couple came over from the parking lot and sat at the table next to us, they were joined shortly by another female, this seemed out of place as people were still waiting to be seated. The mystery was soon solved as they greeted the owner by first name. They placed their order exactly 45 minutes after we were seated. We rarely saw our waitress (but when we did she was pleasant), we didn’t have silverware and we had finished our drinks, but the waitress that seated us frequently assured us that our food was “on the way”. The table that ordered after us was served and we didn’t have silverware, I was now upset. I found the manager (also the owner) and explained to him the situation. He said “I’ll find out”. Shortly, he was at our table and did the one thing that a manager, employee or anyone in the service industry should NEVER do, he lied to try to cover. “They ordered something simple like biscuits and that is already made”, yet there they sat 3 feet away with 3 fully cooked hot breakfasts, one exactly like what my wife ordered. Inexcusable as a manager, suicide as an owner. The couple at the table on our other side was seated very shortly after us. They were having a similar experience to us and at one point said “I think we might outlast you”, they were only served as we sere leaving. When the waitress came with the check she was visibly upset and said “its not my fault I’m a great server”. Well she was right, for the most part. It was not here fault. It is never the wait staff’s fault; the manager should always be responsible for the service in his/her restaurant. As to ‘Great server’; ‘Mostly pleasant’- yes; ‘Great’- not today. She did receive a 15% tip, and I wished that the overall experience warranted more, but sadly it did not.

Just over 2 hours after arriving, I will admit the food was good, but not worth the wait, the stress or the outright lies by the owner.

Summary: Jose you are a good cook, you are possibly the worst manager I have ever met. Hire a real manager, have that person train your staff and stick to cooking. Otherwise, fade away just like the Iron Skillet.

2 Thank Steve J