“Great Food”

YachtSea Grille
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have been there several times. Have never had a bad experience. Great Food and Great Service. Love the ribs, awesome steak and seafood.

1  Thank RickFin1972

Reviewed September 10, 2013

If you are strolling Riverwalk alongside the Manatee River in downtown Bradenton, FL, and are working up a hunger, The YachtSea Grille beckons. This restaurant has been open since the summer of 2012 and is a welcome addition to the Bradenton dining scene.

The venue is located on the bottom floor of an office building that is adjacent to the west side of the 301 Bridge that spans the Manatee River between Bradenton and Palmetto. It is set back from the river by about 75 yards. It is also right across the parking lot from the downtown Marriott Courtyard Hotel, from which YachtSea derives a healthy business clientele.

The restaurant features 150 seats, and sports a full liquor bar, along with a nice wine list. However, the inside seating is seriously limited. There are three tables; one seats two, the other seats four, and the last seats six. Additionally, there are about 10 barstools bordering the bar. The balance, about 130 seats, are outside on the deck. Fear not. During the summer months canvas side panels with eisenglass "windows" (such as you would find on the fly bridge of a boat) are rolled down, and a/c is pumped into the space from an overhead duct system. This keeps it reasonably cool. There is also a covered side patio (but with no a/c) that seats about two dozen (depending on the tables that are placed there), and this area is "dog friendly."

On a recent weeknight, I was out with my dog, a pit-bull mix, strolling along Riverwalk. My wife was having a "women only" gathering at my house, so I was forced to fend for myself for dinner. I have been to YachSea Grille at least a dozen times since it opened, but had never taken my four legged companion with me before, but I decided to do so this evening.

I was promptly seated on the side patio. There were about four or five tables of diners inside the a/c covered patio, but my pup and I were the only customers on the side patio. My waitress quickly brought over a large dish with ice water for my dog, and took my drink order (iced tea this evening, as I was driving). There are two flat screen TVs hanging from the ceiling in the a/c portion of the patio that are viewable when sitting on the side deck, so I was able to enjoy watching football while awaiting my order.

Many other reviewers have commented that the restaurant view is of a parking lot for the office building in which YachtSea is located, and that traffic noise from the 301 bridge, hard on the east side of the restaurant, compromises the ambience of this upscale eatery. This is true to some extent. You are not going to have the view you get when dining at Pier 22 at the Twin Dolphin Marina about a mile west, or across the Manatee River at Riverhouse Reef & Grille at Regatta Pointe Marina in Palmetto. But, on the other hand, I have never had my dining at YachSea distracted by the traffic noise, exhaust fumes, surrounding parking lot, etc.

Like the two main local culinary competitors of YachtSea, mentioned in the above paragraph, you can go moderate or expensive when dining here. For my appetizer, I ordered the smoked fish spread ($9). It comes with warm taco chips, but I asked that flat pita bread (which is normally served with the hummus appetizer) be substituted for the chips. A nice portion of smoked fish spread (which is fresh mahi mahi that has actually been smoked rather than adding "liquid smoke" to it) was delivered. It is enough to share between two people, so my dog had a few tastes. We both heartily approved. The fish spread was excellent, and it went very well with the pita flatbread. My waitress helpfully suggested a few drops of tabasco sauce on the spread, which turned tout to be a perfect combination.

For the entrée, I decided upon grilled salmon ($17), done medium rare, with garlic aioli sauce on the side. All entrees include a small dinner salad (either garden or ceaser), and one side dish. I chose the garden salad with balsamic dressing, and steamed vegetables with the salmon.

The salads are good size portions made up of fresh greens. They always comprise an appropriate start to any meal at YachtSea. With the salad, a warm basket of pretzel bread was delivered. I usually shy away from bread, but I had to have a piece of this, as it very enjoyable, especially with a bit of butter on it.

I took my time with my salad, and after my plate was removed. the entrée was delivered piping hot in about 10 minutes. The salmon was about a 7-8 ounce filet prepared perfectly medium rare as ordered. The steamed vegetables (zucchini squash) were good, but the portion was a bit parsimonious. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the quality of my dinner. The salmon was among the best I have had anywhere. Two thumbs up!!! The garlic aioli sauce was very tasty, but overly salty.

After finishing the entrée, I ordered a cup of decaf coffee. My waitress said she would brew me a fresh pot. The coffee was quite hot and good, and was a fitting peroration to my meal. It was 9:00pm by this point, and I was the last patron in the restaurant.

What if you do not want to go for the price of an entrée (which is between $16 and $28)? YachtSea Grille is well known for its $13 gourmet hamburger, served on a pretzel roll. Gourmet burgers are made from a fresh blend of Certified Angus Beef ground chuck and short rib. Cooking temperature is rare to medium-rare. If you want medium to well done, you will pointed toward the $11 specialty burger which is pure Angus ground beef (no short rib). I have had the gourmet burger at least a half dozen times, and I can recommend it without reservation. (But I never liked the fries, which are thick cut steak fries and purchased frozen. A restaurant with the culinary aspirations of YachtSea should have fresh cut curly fries, so I always a garden salad as my side dish when ordering a burger or sandwich.) You can also order large salads in the $8-$12 cost area, which are all very good, with a bowl soup ($6). My point is that you do not have to spend a great deal of money at YachtSea Grille to have a very enjoyable dining experience. Enthusiastically recommended!

Full disclosure: I personally know the ownership and management of this venue. I even helped assemble the wooden deck chairs prior to the restaurant opening. I have refrained from reviewing it previously, although I have eaten here numerous times, because of that fact. However, this review is objective. The ownership and management are seriously interested in providing their clientele with a wonderful culinary experience every time you visit. Although there were certain hiccups that any restaurant experiences in the first few months after opening, these have all largely been rectified. Add to the fact that you can bring your four legged companion with you, and go moderate or fancy in terms of food and price, there is no reason why you should not give YachtSea Grille a visit if you haven't yet tried it.

2  Thank John D
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a lovely if not loud location, definitely not romantic, staff was pleasant but somewhat reserved it seemed? Food quality is where I felt it fell short. $18 dollars for two small grouper tacos with four very small pieces of fish, I'm afraid Bobby Flay would have a heart attack if he saw and then tasted that! It was very bland and then overwhelmed by a too hot sauce. I had a soup that was full of canned clams it was rich and creamy and was enjoyable, salads were basic and the bread was a pretzel style but really didn't fit the meal. have to say as a Bradenton Food Connoisseur Club member I will give it a c+ this time. I will come back during football season and try the lunch menu?

1  Thank ddavis1212
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I recently went to Bradenton for business and my husband went with me, we stayed across the street at the Courtyard by Marriott. We had no idea what to expect but we like to sit at the bar when we can and visit with everyone. We went here three nights in a row and it was great. We had a great time visiting with people as well as the owner and the staff. Plus, the happy hour was great, the Polynesian Pork Shanks were to die for! You gotta try them!

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We found this cute grille across the street from the Marriott Courtyard hotel we are staying in this weekend. The service was friendly and warm, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was great. Beautiful but simple patio setting with live music. We are in town from Deer Park, Texas for our nephew's funeral and we actually had so much fun with the live music playing it gave us a few hours to just enjoy the 70 & 80 music that was played. Yes we sang along. If you are in the area you must stop in and enjoy the atmosphere, food, service and great prices.