“Loved the food!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Florida
“Loved the food!”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I was worried after reading some of the reviews on several sites, but I had purchased a gift certificate from Restaurant.com and decided to take a chance. We took my husbands parents and crossed our fingers for decent service and food. Turns out that both were excellent. Everyone was happy with their meal and the server was attentive. The water could had been refilled faster, but overall it was a good experience. I would recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2011

Burlington, Canada
“Sliding downhill. What happens when a great chef leaves.”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I have Italian roots. I'm a 'foodie". My son is a chef. I KNOW Italian. First visit was in 2010, on recommendation of friends (Italians). We were awestruck!. Amazing antipastis, risotto fab and the veal Saltimbocca, out of this world. But the defining moment was the Zuppa di Pesce ! MAGNIFICO!. We went back with more friends a few months later... still great. The chef was a young man who began his career in Milan, travelled extensively, came to Sarasota, creating wonderful taste bud experiences.
So, we go back not once but twice in 2011 only to find out the chef is gone. The menu, although the same, was completely changed in taste quality. NOT good. Service is pleasant but brutally slow and clearly the young fellow who owns the place means well and although he has an Italian name, has no idea how to speak Italian or for that matter pronounce dishes properly. We will not go back. Very disappointing.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank divvy1
Sarasota, Florida
“Enjoyable Return Visit”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My wife and I had not been to Cantina Toscana for a couple of years, but returned last night. We had a very enjoyable dinner -- good food, service, and a nice atmosphere with a low-key background musician. We had the lasagna, chicken Marsala, and finished with an excellent tiramisu both in flavor and presentation. I have found most tiramisu's to vary greatly between restaurants, and are usually a disappointment - not the case here! The standard Montepulciano wine by the glass was an excellent value at $6 a glass.

• Visited October 2011
Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Now That's Italian (Northern)!”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The food here is outstanding. Every dish is unique. If you are expecting the same old spaghetti and red sauce or meatballs this place is not for you. However, if you are familiar with northern Italian food, you will love it here. My husband and I go as often as we can.

• Visited September 2011
Columbus, Ohio
“Food was good but service was awful.”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I was in Sarasota for business and was able to walk to this place which is in a strip mall. The inside looked okay and there was a bar to sit at which I like when I'm alone so I decided to try it. There were 6 people in the restaurant and the waiter, Chase, could not keep up. I literally sat there for 15 minutes before he was able to come over. And it wasn't that he was standing around doing nothing...it just took him forever to do anything. And when I talked with him about it he indicated that there were just too many people there. I doubt the owners would agree. Anyway, I had spaghetti and meatballs which were really good and since I was there by myself with nothing else to do the service issue was just good entertainment for me but several people were frustrated. I'll try it again the next time I'm there to see if it was an anomaly.

• Visited July 2011