“Excellent”

Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Florida
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

We searched high and low for a hotel that would meet all our needs and be in our budget and Hawthorn Suites Dayton North was the value wise. I was sorta skeptical at first on price, but upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised. Everything I would expect and more. Will stay again

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

This is not a fancy place, but it is an excellent value. There is plenty of room to spread out. The room was clean, and everything was in good condition except for the mattress which was a bit uncomfortable. The manager informed me that the mattresses are being replaced soon. The kitchen was fully stocked with pots, pans, plates, and silverware -- basically, anything you needed to prepare a basic meal. The continental breakfast was quite impressive. It included sausage gravy, biscuits, make-your-own Belgium waffles, cold and hot cereals, and scrambled eggs. All of the "warm" food was hot and freshly prepared. The staff was friendly and prompt with check in and check out.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

We were on the last night of a 7 day vacation and driving to Dayton to go the the United States Air Force Museum. That morning I logged onto my computer and found a great rate through expedia.com. I called the hotel and they gave me the same rate as expedia had listed for a penthouse suite.

When we arrived the check in was friendly and quick. We pulled down the parking lot and parked just out side our "condo." We headed up stairs and when we opened the door we were amazed. The kitchen was clean and efficient, the living room was nice and the fire place, though we did not get to use it because it was August, was fantastic. The king size bedroom which is on the same level was beautiful and spacious and had a private bathroom. The bed was so comfortable I was tempted to skip breakfast. I am glad I didn't because the sausage, waffles, and eggs were really good. The kids enjoyed their oatmeal and my husband enjoyed his healthy yogurt and fruit with a bagel.

The loft held a queen size bed and a seperate bath perfect for my boys. It also had a TV upstairs so they could unwind up there while we relaxed down stairs. . The clerk provided an acess code for the internet when I checked in and no problems. We will stay here again next time we go to Dayton.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

I have traveled the world sleeping in every type of accommodation you could imagine. This was one of the poorest returns on my dollar that I have ever experienced.

I am now experiencing health issues that make it difficult for me to walk. If there had been any indication of the true nature of this place I would never have booked here. The description of this property and the rooms is totally inadequate to prepare you for your visit.

The property is long and narrow. All of the parking is near the front. The rooms are arranged like condos with half of the units in each building on the first floor and the remainder upstairs. To get to your room you must park in the closest available space then drag your things in whatever weather down a long, narrow, winding, dimly lit, and frequently flooded outdoor walkway to your room.

If you unfortunate enough to have been assigned an upper room which is located near the rear of the property after walking the length of a football field you are expected to haul your things up two flights of stairs to get to your room and the second bedroom of their "Penthouse suites" requires climbing even more stairs.

When I expressed doubt regarding my ability to use the room that I had been assigned I was told that was all they had, to take it or leave it. The manager was not on site during the four days that I was there, and did not respond to my requests to speak to him. The free breakfast was minimal and worth every penny you paid for it. Housekeeping service was only provided sporadically. To top it off an automotive tire shop was just over the fence from my room. I did not enjoy listening to their compressed air wrench in operation. The kitchen area is so poorly lit that it is all you can do to see the microwave. Good luck trying to figure out the mystery light switches. Internet access was intermittent and could not be relied upon.

Clearly prospective customers need to be warned that getting to these rooms may require long walks and stair climbing which may exceed their physical capabilities. Upon returning home I filled a complaint with the hotels chain. Neither the manager nor his manager was able to offer any excuse for these failings nor were they willing to make any adjustments to the bill. This property is so far below all reasonable and accepted standards that I should have been paid to stay here.

I am a Wyndam rewards member. All of the other hotel chains that I use provide an opportunity to include information in your profile indicating special needs or requirements. Wyndam does not. If they did this situation may have been avoided.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Hyperborea
Greenwood, IN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

Positives: Price was definitely right! Set up like a studio with full kitchen added. Functional - if you want a place that has a full kitchen, clean shower and bed, this would do.

Negatives: Uncomfortable, sloped bed. We mapped the hotel and as the crow flies, it was really close to where we needed to be. Driving to get to it, however, took 25 minutes - not really convenient for running back and forth. Plus lots of road construction in the area so you can't rely too heavily on your GPS to get there. Speaking of GPS, if we hadn't had one, we would have never found the place. The highway is within view, but am not sure how much trouble or how far you'd actually have to go to get to it as we didn't go that way. Snob Factor: Let me start by saying that we are hotel "snobs!" We chose this hotel because of the price. We were traveling for the purpose of helping family do interior painting so we basically wanted a place to shower and sleep. The price was definitely right! Having said that, had this been where we ended up on a "vacation," I would have been very unhappy. Very dated. They were in middle of remodeling. We think we were in an "updated" suite and it was still pretty 70's. The "remodel" actually appeared to be inexpensive cosmetic improvement efforts. Example: the oak cabinets were replaced with darker wood cabinets...by painting them dark brown! If the location is convenient for your purposes and you want inexpensive and functional, this is it. If you want romantic or memorable, look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

Our stay at the Hawthorne's Suites was very nice, I would definitely return on our next trip. When reserving the room, I decided to call rather than make the reservation online. The price given to me over the phone was actually $10 cheaper than was listed online (maybe it would have been reduced during checkout... but I'm not sure). Either way, the price was very fair. There was a large event going on at the Dayton Arena and we made our reservation last minute, so this was the very last large suite-style room available in the area.

Check-in was very easy. The hotel rooms are accessible from the outside (no internal hallways) and rooms are on two levels with exterior walkways. We stayed on the side away from the parking out, which was a very short walk from the car (no trouble for us, but could be difficult with older folks as we had to carry luggage up a set of stairs). We had a total of four adults staying in the two room suite (I believe the hotel also has one bedroom suites available). The room was laid out very nice: You walked into a room with the living area on the left, including a chair, sofa (pulled-out into a bed), coffee table, ~27" TV, and wood-burning fireplace. Small-ish, but suitable for 3-people seated comfrotably. To the right was the kitchen area, including a eating breakfast bar-like area, and small galley style kitchen. This included a smaller, but full-sized fridge, microwave, stove/oven combo, dishwasher, and single sink. We didn't use the oven, but the stove and microwave worked great. A minimal selection of pots, pans, dishes, silverware, was avaiable. However, probably due to previous guests breaking plates... we didn't have enough for the one dinner. For a long stay, or where you expect to cook inside for a number of meals... I recommend you bring some extra eating dishes. Also, bring handtowels, no washcloths or drying towels were provided (only paper) and we prefer to do dishes by hand.

Next to the living room was the main bedroom including a king-size bed and bathroom with a tub/shower. Across from teh kitchen were stairs that went upstairs to teh second bedroom loft. Although this room was not completed enclosed, it was pretty private compared to the downstairs. It included a queensized bed, tv, and sink vanity with a separate bathroom (tub/shower/toliet).

Everyone found the beds very, very comfortable. Usually I hate hotel room beds and these were great. One person slept on the sofa bed and didn't have a problem with it (although they are never picky with sleeping accomodations). I read the hotel recently remodeled, which is somewhat evident. It seems like they addressed the important things (rugs, bedding, seating, paint). Other things seemed to still be older (bathrooms were very clean, but not sparking new, older cabinets, etc.) but still 100% functional. The shower I used was nice, the shower downstairs had problems turning all the way off, but I dont think it was an issue. Everything was very clean, although I definitely recommend washing the dishes before you use them... but this is pretty much standard.

A complementary breakfast was served every morning from 6:30-9:30, although I only ate there one morning out of the 3 we stayed (due to early wakeups). From what I can remember, the breakfast I attended served the following: bagels w/ cream cheese, toast, croissant, 2-3 types of cereal, individual yogurts, whole fruit (bananas, apples, etc.), individual milk, apple & orange juice. The hot component of the breakfast included prepackaged breakfast burritos that you could heat up right there, along with premade french toast and pancakes that you could microwave.

The hotel is suitated a little differently, as most of the restaurants are located across the nearby highway, but only a few minute drive across a connecting street. There aren't any food establishments within an easy walking distance. Across the highway there is a Walmart, Sam's Club, many restauarants (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Panera, Wendys, Hooters, another sports bar called Frickers, Chipotle, etc.). We did find a bar and restauarnt near the hotel (I think it was on the same street) called the Little York Tavern, they had pizza and other well-priced food selections. We didn't eat, but had a good time at the bar-side of the restaurant - nice, local atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2009

I stayed at the Hawthorn Suites Dayton North hotel during a recent business trip to the Dayton area. I booked the hotel through Hotwire as I typically do, and then upon getting the hotel name, immediatly came here to look at the ratings. After seeing some of the reviews posted here, I was a bit worried about what I was in for.

I arrived at the hotel around 7:00pm and was promptly greeted and welcomed by both employees working at the front desk. They were very professional and got me checked in quickly, and even told me about the free breakfast in the morning.

It took me a few minutes to locate my room as the buildings are not signed especially well, however that could also just be my poor sense of direction. The room was extremely clean, and I was also impressed with the size of it. The room featured a full kitchen, stocked with any supplies you may need, a couch, and a desk. I was only staying for one night and did not need the kitchen, however for the price paid, you definatly get a large room.

The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in, and plenty of pillows were provided. Wi-Fi was available and I received a strong access point signal, however the internet was intermittently unavailable. One of the only downsides to the room was that the water pressure for the shower was rather low, and the low-flow water saver showerhead didn't help matters, however the water was plenty hot. Checkout was as quick and easy as the check in process. I would definatly return to this particular hotel in the future.

POSITIVES: Large rooms with full kitchens, comfortable beds, rooms extremely clean.

NEGATIVES: Issues with Wi-Fi, low water pressure in shower.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Low water pressure
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)