“What a relief!”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed July 18, 2013

When my wife booked a room for my Dad and I we weren't sure what we were getting. She went through priceline and we were just looking for a cheap room so that we could visit the Air Force Museum. The price was right and we hoped for the best. We were booked for one queen bed and a fold out couch. The receptionist quickly upgraded up to a penthouse for no additional charge. The room was pretty awesome with two floors, a queen and king bed. Separate bathrooms, a full kitchen and a nice living room. Both rooms had TV's. Conveniently located across the highway is just about any type of restaurant you can think of. The pool looked nice but we didn't use it. The breakfast was great the next morning as well. The hotel is also conveniently located to the major highways so we could get up the next morning and be on our way. I highly recommend this hotel and thank you to the staff for making this such a great experience for us.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I made my reservation through Petswelcome.com and used my credit card to reserve a loft room because we needed to accomodate a family of 6 people and 2 pets while we were moving across the country. Out of all the hotels we've stayed at, this was the worst managed and run down hotel. But that's beside the fact that when we showed up for our room, we found out that they gave our loft room to another larger group and split our family up into two rooms. This was at 9pm and we had just driven 10 hours. When we asked to speak to a manager, the desk clerk gave us his number but said not to bother because he won't answer until the next day. We made every attempt to go somewhere else, but found out that since I used a third party in booking it, I had to call them instead (which wasn't worth the hassle at that moment).

When we did get our rooms, it was run down, the pull out mattress was gross, the bath tub handle was broken, and the bathroom sink only ran warm water. Save yourself the nightmare and find another hotel!

Room Tip: Don't count on reservations made.
1  Thank buttercup922
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We got at the hotel later in the evening. Lobby looked nice and the so did the exterior. We also thought Wyndham properties were nice places. We looked at some of the others lodging in the area and they were less than desirable: younger people hanging out, exterior condition... The carpets were dirty (feet or socks kind of stuck to them), there were about 4-5 rips in carpet, good sized stain on curtain (it was reddish - hopefully ketchup), rip in couch, stain on bed bench, light switches and some molding were dirty, a little mold on bath ceiling, bathtub drain, around toilet and faucet was dirty, heat/air vent falling out of wall, layer of dust on hair dryer... There was a lot of dry rot on the stairs and decking but at least that wasn't in the room.

My guess is that this was an employee or extended residence and not cleaned / maintained well. There were a lot, and I mean probably 100-200, cigarette butt burns right outside my door. I can only give feedback on my room #321, maybe the others are better???

The cleaning staff is less than desirable. They are young men (the day I was there) and by the looks of my room, they want a paycheck but not want to work for it (like many youth now days). I saw two guys cleaning / testing the pool and they were not dressed well, standing there taking a break smoking (they should do that elsewhere). When I was eating breakfast and checking out, a couple young men from the cleaning crew were at the front desk complaining with desk staff about something (I think it was the work schedule). Once while I was eating breakfast and once while I was checking out 4 feet from them. They were complaining all the way out the door. Very unprofessional, especially in front of a customer.

Positives: Pretty good breakfast, decent breakfast area, nice exterior overall, and decent desk staff. When I complained when checking out, the lady asked if I would show her the issues which I did. She agreed and immediately took down the stained curtain. She told me they have a new manager and hoped to make some positive changes, especially in the cleaning department. She told me she couldn't make any price adjustment and I would need to talk to the manager who wasn't in. I called back and they gave me a full refund which was better than I expected.

My stay was less than desirable but they seem to be trying to make some positive changes. I hope they do as this could be a nice facility.

Room Tip: Not room #321.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seetheusainaford
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The location to my sister's house was Great. The Breakfast was Super Duper! Housekeeping needs work.

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I can't begin to describe how disappointed I was in the Hawthorn Suites Dayton North. Stayed there on recommendations from the organizers of the Vectren Dayton Air show and I'm still wondering what they have against me.

When I hear the name Wyndham I've always thought "top notch" accomodations. So much for that. The Hawthorn Suites Dayton North obviously started life as a Marriott Residence Inn complex. The room layout was very familiar but the conditions were horrible. Carpets that are ripped and stained. Bathrooms that have clearly past their best before date. I was afraid that the bathtub was going to fall through the floor to the unit below. Usually the only creaking I hear while taking a shower is my own old bones.

The lobby was OK but the staff member on duty (on 3 separate occasions) was clearly overworked. Breakfast in the morning was adequate but nothing more.

I would give this location a wide berth.

Room Tip: Remember that this location is geared to extended stay. The room is NOT cleaned from day to day.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2013

glad we only stayed one night. price was ok...would not have been worth paying any more than we did. I believe it's old apartment units that they are now renting as motel. everything old & one spider found. shower ok. bed bad...big dip in bed. water too hot...no cold option.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple