“A home away from home.”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed March 19, 2012

As a frequent traveler, I appreciate the comfort and convenience of the Dayton Hawthron Suites. It is nice to know the hotel staff remembers my room preference. Plus the room itself has a living room, kitchen, and a bedroom. Lots of closet space, well designed bathroom and is always clean and well equipped. A must visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
AlethaDillinger, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Dear AAGreentech,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad our staff remembers you and your preferences when you come into town. We want our guests to feel at home when away from home. The spacious bathroom and vanity area are always a plus with travelers.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 10, 2012

I used hotwires hot rates where you pick the area and star rating but you do not get to see what hotel until you agree to pay. I asked for a 3 star but this is definitely not a 3 star. I got a 100% nicer hotel through priceline picking a 3 star then I did with hotwire. I could have gotten a better 2 star for cheaper. Don't be fooled by the pictures it's not that nice. It's dingy, dark and depressing. I found a moldy pillow in the sofa bed bedding and that ruined the rest of the night was afraid to trust any of the bedding then, very scary. Furniture is old and beat up bathroom wallpaper is peeling and cracks in the wall. VERY DISAPPOINTED and equally disappointed that it is rated so high and the hot rate was not a hot rate for this particular hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear Tambb,
Thank you for your review, we welcome all review. I would like to know the room and date you stayed at our hotel, so I may address the pillow in the pull out sofa. We want all our guest to feel we are a 3 star hotel and I know an unplesant experience can ruin your stay. Please contact me so that I can fix the issue.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

What a treat to find and oasis in the concrete jungle. Welcoming staff, rooms with everything to make your stay comfortable, and a hot breakfast that is presented very pleasingly-where hot was hot and cold was cold. Would stay again and highly recommend for anyone wanting to feel special!

Room Tip: Check the coupon books offerd at rest stops--good values to be found them.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear Dorothy S,
Thank you for your kind review! I hope that you will come back again to enjoy our hot breakfast, oversized suites and wonderful staff.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel. Very pleased with overall quality and extremely pleased with the customer service both times. Rooms are nice (especially for this price range) and clean. It's not a luxury suite, but it is very good for the price. This stay was in the studio suite, so it was really just one big room with a full kitchen. I stay here for the kitchen and the wood burning fireplaces; I would probably not spend the money if not for those two features. My previous stay was in a "penthouse" 2-story suite with a full master bedroom and lofted bedroom separate from the main living area--worth the extra money if you truly want the "suite" experience. The staff were very pleasant, welcoming, and helpful both times--this is not typical for hotels in this price range.

Room Tip: If you need "separation," spend the money on the full 2-bedroom suite. Otherwise you will...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David W
AlethaDillinger, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

Thank you for your great review. We appreciate the time it takes to write a review. I am glad to hear you have stayed in both room types and enjoyed them. We hope to see you again soon in Dayton!

Reviewed January 26, 2012

My husband and I had to spend one night in Dayton and we had read good reviews about Hawthorn Suites, but we were disappointed. Yes, it's nice that the rooms are like mini apartments, with kitchenettes, but the furniture is dirty and beat-up. Also in the breakfast room is the furniture old and beat-up. Breakfast was so so. They had quite a bit of items, but the hot items didn't taste good. I think this hotel is mostly used by men who work in Dayton during the week, and it may be a good deal for them, but I could not have spent more than one night there. The sidewalks were full of dog poop (I suppose they allow pets), and you have to walk outside to go to the breakfast room (in the winter that is very inconvenient). The morning when we were leaving, when we came back to the room after breakfast, we found the door open and a male maid making the bed and we thought that was very unusual, to make the bed the day of our check-out. Anyway, the manager apologized when we checked out, but we always wondered why this happened. Nothing was missing, though.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
AlethaDillinger, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are in the process of making many improvements, one that has happened since your visit is all new chairs, tables and window treatments in the breakfast area. We are also adding new breakfast items.
We did speak with the housekeeping attendant who was changing the linen on your bed and he had looked at the information incorrectly and thought you were staying another night and was out of the room so he was doing general cleaning.
Thank you again for all your remarks we do every review as training and ways to make improvement. I hope you return to see our improvements!

Reviewed January 14, 2012

I guess with this place, it all depends on your expectations. Do you travel a lot? Or not? Are you accustomed to spending over $70/night for your room, or not?

If you are reasonably well traveled and used to spending more than a 1-star hotel for your room, you won't be all that impressed with this place. Otherwise, here are the positives: reasonably spacious, remodelled sometime in the last 10 years, free parking, free wi-fi, toiletries included, fireplace (if you come with your own logs).

Here are the negatives: all the furniture is quite beaten up and scraped at the edges. The wi-fi is spotty -- a FaceTime chat with your family, even at 1 a.m. local when no one else at the hotel is online, will drop or hang many times. Yes, they've put cheery yellow-striped wallpaper in the shower and the powder room, but it's mildewed above the shower and you probably don't want to know what that reddish, smeared stain is next to the full-length mirror in the powder room. If you're there in the winter, the room will be cold all night, even if you turn up the thermostat. (Maybe you need to beg them for logs to burn in the fireplace to keep warm?) If it's windy, you'll hear the wind all night. And don't expect anything close to a "heavenly bed" as provided by some of the better chains -- this is a low-end motel room mattress with flat pillows. The breakfast is only good if you're not used to getting breakfast with your room and think that anything made by Sysco is yummy.

All in all, probably worth the $49 you can pay if you bid through a no-name bidding process. It's better than the Super 8 you'd get at the airport for the same price. But otherwise, don't bother.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all reviews and do take everything you have mentioned to improve our hotel. We are in the process of replacing mattresses and televisions. As spring and summer approaches we will have many projects going to make improvements.
Again thank you,

Reviewed October 27, 2011

I've been in Dayton before and it's a nice city with a lot of history. I've never stayed at this hotel before but it's at the top of my list on my next visit there. It's a remodeled older "chalet style" (just made that up but it fits) hotel with several separate small 70's-Colorado-ski-hill-looking buildings making up a little village. I thought it was very cool and to have a full kitchen at this price?! Great deal.

I was surprised at how much I liked this funky cool hotel room. The remodeling seemed to be fairly new with nice carpeting and other finishes. A couple of the kitchen appliances were on the older side, but they worked and the kitchen itself was stocked to the gills with literally everything you could possibly want and usually forget to bring. I was amazed at how much thought the Hawthorn team put into providing absolutely everything a person would need. I could have moved into that room it was so well stocked.

The bathroom was well-stocked as well with high end products and nice, thick towels. Embarrassingly, even nicer and thicker than we have at home. The bed was a weak point in my room (721), unfortunately. It sagged like a hammock, like it was supported only around the perimeter. I've never experienced a bed like that before, it's usually the exact opposite where some of them can be super hard and don't give at all. This one was either past it's due date or the box spring needed some serious help.. I should have mentioned it because the management would typically like to know such things, I regret not mentioning it now. Not to complain what so ever, but just so they know about it.

The breakfast was unreal, one of the best I've ever seen, with eggs, little omlettes, two different kinds of sausages, waffles, fruit (apples, bananas, oranges, honeydew and cantalope), cereals, oatmeal, breads, milk, just about anything you could think of they had it. And, all brand name items, no bargain basement 10 for $1 stuff here. Very, very nice and constantly being refreshed and organized by a super efficient person. They had a great assortment of high-end teas as well, that's rare to see actual brand name teas in a hotel. Nicely done. If you need anything after that breakfast there are numerous restaurants and fast food places close by.

The check in and check out went as smoothly as could be and the women working the front desk were really nice and helpful. I can't say enough about this cool little hotel and am looking forward to returning for a visit.

Room Tip: The room itself was whisper quiet, I only rated it "average" because of a sagging mattress...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
AlethaDillinger, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Thank you for your glowing review. Since your review we have replaced many of the beds at the hotel. Hopefully you will return in the summer and you can enjoy the outdoor pool and BBQ grill.