“Cool, clean, huge, GREAT deal!”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I've been in Dayton before and it's a nice city with a lot of history. I've never stayed at this hotel before but it's at the top of my list on my next visit there. It's a remodeled older "chalet style" (just made that up but it fits) hotel with several separate small 70's-Colorado-ski-hill-looking buildings making up a little village. I thought it was very cool and to have a full kitchen at this price?! Great deal.

I was surprised at how much I liked this funky cool hotel room. The remodeling seemed to be fairly new with nice carpeting and other finishes. A couple of the kitchen appliances were on the older side, but they worked and the kitchen itself was stocked to the gills with literally everything you could possibly want and usually forget to bring. I was amazed at how much thought the Hawthorn team put into providing absolutely everything a person would need. I could have moved into that room it was so well stocked.

The bathroom was well-stocked as well with high end products and nice, thick towels. Embarrassingly, even nicer and thicker than we have at home. The bed was a weak point in my room (721), unfortunately. It sagged like a hammock, like it was supported only around the perimeter. I've never experienced a bed like that before, it's usually the exact opposite where some of them can be super hard and don't give at all. This one was either past it's due date or the box spring needed some serious help.. I should have mentioned it because the management would typically like to know such things, I regret not mentioning it now. Not to complain what so ever, but just so they know about it.

The breakfast was unreal, one of the best I've ever seen, with eggs, little omlettes, two different kinds of sausages, waffles, fruit (apples, bananas, oranges, honeydew and cantalope), cereals, oatmeal, breads, milk, just about anything you could think of they had it. And, all brand name items, no bargain basement 10 for $1 stuff here. Very, very nice and constantly being refreshed and organized by a super efficient person. They had a great assortment of high-end teas as well, that's rare to see actual brand name teas in a hotel. Nicely done. If you need anything after that breakfast there are numerous restaurants and fast food places close by.

The check in and check out went as smoothly as could be and the women working the front desk were really nice and helpful. I can't say enough about this cool little hotel and am looking forward to returning for a visit.

Room Tip: The room itself was whisper quiet, I only rated it "average" because of a sagging mattress...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
AlethaDillinger, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Thank you for your glowing review. Since your review we have replaced many of the beds at the hotel. Hopefully you will return in the summer and you can enjoy the outdoor pool and BBQ grill.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

This was an incredible property. I was pleasantly surprised. This was our first stay at a Hawthorn Suites property and it will most certainly not be our last. Everything about this property was superb or better. The check-in was seamless and the clerk was extremely attentive to our needs. The breakfast in the morning was great and the room was exceptionally comfortable. I travel quite extensively with my job and had stayed at several different properties on this particular trip; in my opinion this was one of the top places we had stayed. I had my family with me and there was plenty of room in the suite and it was a true suite. Furthermore, it well located close to restaurants and close to the interstate. I would stay at this property again and again.

Room Tip: Great for large families, or for people who would some elbow room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your time in writing this. So glad you had a great stay!
We look forward to you returning to visit.
Aletha

Reviewed September 28, 2011

I had to stay at this hotel since I bid on the price, and one. One of those Expedia gigs where you bid for a 3 star hotel in the area. THATS RIGHT 3 star according to the online agencies. But PLEASE PLEASE don't follow in my footsteps! I have no idea what crackhead decided to make this a 3 star hotel in the Dayton, OH area. I'm a travel nurse, and stay in hotels all the time, every week on assignment. I got the room for about $50/night, but just know, you will get what you pay for...I would rather pay more for a more upscale and updated room next time! The location is right next to a main highway, so for 3rd shift workers, YES you CAN hear the traffic while sleeping during the day!!!! The hotel is very run outdated, and you can tell there has not been any renovating since the Brady Bunch was popular. The carpet is old (disgusting to think of the dirtiness of it), the cabinets and dishes are smelly (like old, mildew).

But the absolute most ATROCIOUS part of this hotel room, was when I first walked in. I ALWAYS look at the sheets, to see if they have been changed (seen too many Dateline NBC specials about hotels), and sure enough I doubt that they had been. I have straight brunette hair, and when I walked up to the bed, there where MULTIPLE long, curly hairds all OVER the comforter. GAG! I pulled down the comforter, and again MULTIPLE curly hairds on the sheets where I was to curl up and sleep. IMMEDIATELY called the front desk, and asked for them to send the maid to change the sheets, where they replied that the maids where gone for the day (it was 1pm). So I then demanded a whole new set of clean sheets and comforter so I could change it myself.

DISGUST! DIDn't sleep well after that because I just knew that other stuff was probably not cleaned also!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
AlethaDillinger, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear Hotel Guest Pro,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We welcome all reviews and would like to address your issues with our staff. I am requesting that you contact the hotel so that we may speak to the houskeeper who cleaned your room. This is not our standard and have addressed the issue with our staff.
Please contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

Booked this suite for the weekend my husband was running his first marathon race. We needed something clean, comfortable and quiet. This place fit the bill perfectly. I was a little worried when we arrived and the facility was so close to the main highway but, as another reviewer mentioned, it was quiet by 9pm. Well...on the comfortable side.... I am a SOFT bed person and the hard bed was a little uncomfortable for me but my husband slept well in it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear PAGrammie,
Thank you for taking the time to review Hawthorn Suites Dayton. I am glad you were able to enjoy a quite night before the Air Force Marathon. I hope your husband was able to "fuel up" with our hot breakfast buffet prior to the Marathon. If you return next year be sure to book early as we do sell out for the race.Thank you again,

Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here while driving through. The suite was nice and the breakfast was good. The only drawbacks were: uncomfortable mattress and sofa bed. Apparently, they are planning to upgrade them.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
AlethaDillinger, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Thank you for your review. You are correct about updating the mattress and box springs. We had new items delivered this month and are now in the rooms. I hope you will pass through Dayton again and stay with us.
I am happy you enjoyed our hot breakfast buffet; hopefully you were able to enjoy the pool and take advantage of having a full kitchen in your suite.
We look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Room 513 was clean and comfortable. A/C workedgood! H2O was HOT! Queen bed plus sofa bed and fully equipped kitchen w/plates and utensils was functional. Unit was small with signs of age but we just needed a comfortable place to sleep. It worked out fine and we will recommend it. Pool was clean and relaxing at 9PM. BIG assortment of items for the complimentary breakfast even 2 hours after opening. One parking lot running the length of the property was well lighted.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
AlethaDillinger, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Dear RonC,
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our hotel! I am so glad you found everything to your liking. We hope to see you next time you return to Dayton,
Director of Sales

Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights and paid $47 per night (I consider that to be an excellent price). Although I arrived early at 12:30 PM (normal check-in time is 3:00 PM), they were very friendly and let me check-in early. Their outdoor pool was great and the suite I had was large and fully equiped . The parking lot was full later ( a good sign in these times) and their free breakfast was very good with an extensive selection (11 out of 10). I have stayed in several neighbourhood hotels to this one in recent months and I consider this Hawthorn to be better than some of the other places in the area. No ... it's not a brand new facility but I felt it was fine.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Dear KentuckyColonel,
Thank you for the kind review! I apologize for the late response, I tried to post immediately and apparently, it did not post. We appreciate the time it takes to write a review and want to acknowledge you. Please be sure to stop in and say hello next time in Dayton.
We do try to accommodate all early check in when possible, I am glad we were able to meet your needs.
Sincerely