“Decent Place to Stay”

Red Lion Inn & Suites Dayton
Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed here briefly on an overnight business trip. The room was a little small, but it was clean. I didn't notice any sights or smells of mold as others have mentioned, but that was just my experience. Again, I was only here overnight but I would recommend this for a brief stop if you're in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
DebbieWills, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Mr. Sorci,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We strive to ensure our guest are always welcomed with a clean and comfortable room. I am glad to see we did just that. We are beginning a complete renovation next week and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again should your travels bring you to Dayton. Thank you again for your comments

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed at the Fairfield Dayton North on a Thursday and then on a Sunday as a nice stop during a West Virginia football trip. The front desk staff assistance was very nice on both visits. I really appreciated the dinner suggestions and the discount sheet. Both rooms were very nice and I was pleased with the value. Yes, the hotel is an older model Fairfield as I stayed there in 2004/2005 while working in the area. But the rooms are nice and I thought the rate for the Dayton area was a good value, with Marriott quality.

The breakfast was good each morning as I departed. I would definitely stay at this location again when in Dayton.

Jacktech

Room Tip: The third floor is enclosed and a bit more quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Dear Mr. Jacktech,

Thank you for taking a moment to complete the review. I was glad to see you were a returning guest. We will be beginning our renovation next week and will have a completely different hotel very soon. All guest rooms are being redone, top to bottom. The lobby will be reconfigured to now include a fireplace, new business center and market. The breakfast area will also be quite different than you've experienced previously and moved slightly. I hope you will visit us again to see the improvements. In the meantime, please have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Debbie Wills

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed here twice in a 10 day period. the first time I was put into a room that smelled of mold. It looked as though there had been a bad leak from above and the cleanup was terrible. I asked for another room and was told there were none. The manager was called and she was rude and of no help. Eventually, we were sent to another room where the key would not work. When that was fixed someone else's luggage was already in the room. All this after a long bus trip.
As if this wasn't bad enough, on the way back we stayed at the same hotel and, believe it or not, I was put back into the same room. The same moldy smell and the same rude staff. I had ended up staying in the room the first time, not this time.
IF the rooms are not bad enough, then the staff is enough to keep me away. This cannot be owned by Marriott. This place is terrible. Stay Away!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
DebbieWills, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Hope C,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I have reviewed the issues you encountered during your stays with the tour with our Assistant General Manager who clearly remembers the mix up and our inability to correct the situation. The odor you encountered your room was actually a repair and it appears incomplete which was an additional error on the part of our staff. I sincerely apologize for both the discomfort this caused and for our staff coming across as rude. It is certainly not typical of the service or accommodations we provide as I am sure you can verify with the tour company. If you could please contact me directly, I will be pleased to remit the cost of the room to you directly. Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention, I have addressed it with the manager and maintenance staff to ensure it never happens again.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Not the Fairfield quality we are used to; it surely used to be a Motel 6 or some other cheap chain. Outside entrance to room and elevator (no fun in the cold rain). Small room, stinky HVAC (below-window unit) that was possibly moldy. Strong smell of toxic (we assume) cleaning products. Both my wife and I woke up with swollen eyes and scratchy throats. Dirty halls. They house lots of bus tours, it appears. The only positive: extremely friendly and helpful front desk staff, both at check-in and check-out.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
DebbieWills, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Fairfield Inn. I sincerely apologize that you found the hotel less than acceptable. Our Fairfield Inn is a first generation design to the Brand and at times not to everyone taste. I was very disappointed regarding PTAC issues as those have been cleaned less than one month ago, so I am trying to access exactly what caused your discomfort. If you would care to contact me directly with your information, I would appreciate it, I am very concerned to learn your stay was not comfortable. We are currently scheduled to begin a complete renovation next month and while this will not change the size of lower level rooms it will certainly make them more comfortable and more current with today's décor standards. Again please accept my apology, I will look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is a nice hotel and an excellant value. The rooms are nice, a good size and there is even a pool. It is a no thrills hotel but you get alot of amenities. water at check in, breakfast with eggs that starts at 4 Am. If you are stayiing at the airport or in the vicinity, this is a great hotel. I have stayed at 5 star hotels and this hotel tries real hard for your business. there is even free wifi. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
DebbieWills, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Fairfield Inn. It is always nice to hear that our guest enjoyed a comfortable stay and appreciates our efforts. As a property near the airport with shuttle service, we have always wanted to ensure our guest could enjoy a nice breakfast before an early flight and therefore open early to accommodate them. We are scheduled to begin a complete renovation soon and hope to have the opportunity to serve you on your next trip to Dayton with an updated room and new lobby and breakfast area. Thank you again for the review, it is sincerely appreciated.

Debbie Wills.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed here on 3 separate occasions over parts of 2 weeks.
First and foremost I was really impressed with the marketing strategy of Sandy in the sales department. She visited my construction jobsite several times and it resulted in multiple bookings. She did a fantastic job.
The hotel, although quite dated, had many of the comforts of home including in room refrigerators, microwaves, a nice TV, a comfortable bed and a desk to do work. The wireless network was fantastic. The breakfast was fantastic (scrambled eggs, sausage patties, waffles, sausage gravy, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, pastries, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juices, etc.) and it starts at 4 am! There were vending & ice machines next to the lobby area as well. Two nights during the week they offer dinner. One of the nights I was there the hotel had lasagna, salad & breadsticks from Olive Garden.
The hotel also offers an in ground outside pool as well as a fitness center, neither of which I used during my stay.
I mentioned the hotel is dated; the rooms were fairly cramped the decor was pretty old. I was told that it will be thoroughly renovated beginning this October.
There are many, many nearby restaurants in this highly developed area. Upon your arrival you receive some discounts to some of the local eateries.
The price was outstanding for the value. You also receive full Marriott Rewards points.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to others, be it for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Shaun,

Thanks so much for taking the time from your busy schedule to write a review. Our sales manager Sandy spoke of you often and was thrilled as we all were that you were able to stay a few days. We are indeed in the process of renovation preparation and are looking forward to the outcome. I have updated a few photos of public areas and rooms of course so that our guest will see what is coming soon. we hope to see you on your next visit to Dayton.

Debbie Wills

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here for two nights for the Air Force marathon. For a decent price, I was given a room on the third floor, with an enclosed entryway, away from the noise of the highway and pool.

If you stay on the first two floors of the hotel, your door will open to the outside, a feature you'd expect at a Motel 6 or Super 8. The staff is courteous and the breakfast area is well stocked and has impressive hours of operation between 4 and 10 am.

As a Marriott loyalist, I was surprised at the condition of this property. I am accustomed to Marriott hotels being in relevant condition. I hope the renovations will try to eliminate the divisive entries between the third and lower floors, and work to give more space in the "executive" rooms. I look forward to frequenting this property post-renovation, but until then I'll stay at another Fairfield Inn or Marriott property.

• Stayed: September 2013
FairfieldInnDayton, Guest Relations Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2014

Dear Jacob,
Thank you so much for staying with us last year for the Air Force Marathon, and we hope you are coming back to stay with us next week! While we were updated in terms of decor, furniture, carpet, and paint, we did not expand on the size of the property. We are an original Fairfield Inn, and will remain to stay that way. Hoping to see you for this years' marathon!

Nikki Jackson